% of 470s w/Original Dash Not Cracked/Sticky (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to decide if I want to risk buying a GX470 that hasn’t had the dash replaced. As it costs like $1700-$2000 for the parts and labor from what I’ve been told.

Does anyone have a GX470 with original dash that hasn’t been replaced that isn’t sticky or cracked? If so did you do anything to prevent it from happening... using a sunshade, some sort of product on it, garage it all the time or did you just get lucky.

My other question is does anyone know if all the dashes were faulty or was there multiple manufacturers or something?

If yours cracked or got sticky was it early on or did it happen recently?

Any help deciding if I should risk it is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I do know that the faulty dashboards that are prone to crack, melt, or get sticky affected various Toyota and Lexus models.

I saw an article that mentions about 3.5 million vehicles were affected. You can google cracked dashboards to read up on it.

When I got mine replaced, the service manager at Lexus told me there was a waiting list for other models as well.

I’m the second owner of a 07 w/ 160k on it. I bought it w/ about 145k. There was a 30 page service history and all was performed at the Lexus dealer from day one. Point being that it shows no record of the dash being replaced and the recall notice was still in the owners manual when I picked it up. PO was a pharamacist and it was his wife’s DD. I’m guessing by condition that it was garage kept. My 09 RX350 also had the recall but we never had symptoms and I bought it CPO w/ 34K on it.
Can’t tell if this issue is a regional/ climate isssue or not. Haven’t done enough research but I’m in the NE.

It is universal. Just takes enough heat and it will let go.

It is universal. Just takes enough heat and it will let go.

THIS -Seen nice garage-kept dashes, ones like mine (outdoors, sun-fried) and everything in between. It's the materials they used, many German, Italian, etc vehicles of the same period have the same issue. Not limited to Toyota/Lexus/Japanese cars in the least. Prado in Japan weren't blessed with a free replacement option so I gave in with a dash cover and I'm working on mixing up some nice filler to repair the visible problem areas.

My GX has been in Raleigh, NC since new (2007), dash is perfect except for a spot I mucked up. No cracks, splits, stickiness, etc.

We just purchased a 2007. It has a couple of crack lines right above the glove compartment. I have put some mineral oil on the dash, and we keep it in a carport. We do use the windshield shade also. This is a great SUV, We love it.

Gman

My dash is original (according to Lexus.drivers). It's in great shape. I park outside 90% of the time and it seems like the center, right above the temp/clock is starting to lift up. There's a noticeable gap between the dash and the plastic now. No cracks or shine or smell from the dash though. Anyone else get this? Can that be adjusted?

This is the best picture I have. It's more obvious looking head on.
full

My dash is original (according to Lexus.drivers). It's in great shape. I park outside 90% of the time and it seems like the center, right above the temp/clock is starting to lift up. There's a noticeable gap between the dash and the plastic now. No cracks or shine or smell from the dash though. Anyone else get this? Can that be adjusted?

I don't have cracking or stickiness on my '09 but I do have the lifted part that you are talking about here.

I do have the lifted part that you are talking about here.
I decided to take the nav unit out and see if I could fix the bumped up dashboard today. There wasn't an easy way to tie down the dash, but I was able to stick a thin (~3mm) piece of plastic between the temp/time unit and the upper section of the plastic bezel that meets the dash. It moved it up about 1-2mm, enough to take the gap out. There's still a slight bump in the dash, but much less noticeable.

If you really wanted to get creative, you could rig up some sort of tensioner system to pull the top two navigation unit mounting bolts down toward the bottom two mounting bolts. I messed around with it and it did pull the bump in the dash down. I didn't have the time or the supplies to do the job though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom