OEM Shocks vs. Bilstein (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fooldall1

Handy Enthusiast
Threads
Considering the Bilsteins for the upcoming shock replacement... but... the OEM shocks are better for my budget. so-

I did some searching and have come up with a few basic differences based on this thread:

Bilstein vs. OEM Shocks

Seems that the Bilsteins provide a more "confident" ride, but the OEM is more comfortable?

I do not do heavy trails, just mostly forest roads and light trail. Mostly Poser-duty type stuff.

Do you guys think I really need the Bilsteins, or will the OEM serve me just fine?

One member on that thread liked the billsteins because they helped him drift better around corners. Might be something to think about.

Many years later. The billies were a much rougher ride. The handling was outstanding. The down travel was affected and was not fun on the trails. Finally moved to OME and it was much better, a little softer on the road.

OME is the Holy Grail, I'm sure. A bit out of my budget for the time being unfortunately. I'm leaning toward the OEM (not OME) shocks at least this year then I will save up and go OME for the long haul.

How long do the OME shocks last with light pounding?

I'm sticking with OEM. I had billsteins before and loved them. But I DD 95% of the time so comfy works for me.

I'm curious though as to how the OEM shock handles a 33" MT tire?

I'm sticking with OEM. I had billsteins before and loved them. But I DD 95% of the time so comfy works for me.

Smart choice.

While I cannot directly comment on the 100 Series and OEM shocks vs Bilstein, I can comment on it for the 80 Series. The OEM shocks are defiantly a more comfortable and cost effective solution. I ran both (and OME Nitro Sports) on my 80 over the last 10 years. About a year and half ago I switched back to the OEM shocks. My truck sees pavement about 90-95% of the year so the Bilsteins (and Nitro Sports) were overkill. As for tire size, 33 MT's I can't see it being an issue for the OEM shocks.

OEM for me. I ran the Bilsteins until they broke in two. After the failure I went back to OEM and never looked back.
Way better ride for me.

OME is the Holy Grail, I'm sure. A bit out of my budget for the time being unfortunately. I'm leaning toward the OEM (not OME) shocks at least this year then I will save up and go OME for the long haul.

How long do the OME shocks last with light pounding?
You might want to do some more reading on shocks for our 100 series. I'm not too sure on the general opinion on the bilsteins except for that some have had them fail quickly, but here's a sum on some of the more affordable options:

OEM: cheap and comfy
OME: regarded by the majority as being too harsh and rough for our 100 series unless loaded down with weight.
Ironman: same price range as OME, more comfortable ride.

Last edited:

Haven't run stock shocks with 33" MT's but run them with a few different (heavy) 33" AT's and I don't think the tread would have much impact. The stock shocks handle the unsprung tire weight just fine. What they do struggle with is all the additional sprung weight from armor, gear, etc. They also limit travel relative to most other options (but they do beat the billies for downtravel from everything I've read here.).
Generally speaking stock shocks can take you very far on the 100.

I am in the process of converting back from OME to OEM (most likely). As with others I run my 100 on pavement 95% of the time and have a fairly stock bumper set up. The OME is way to stiff and jarring for my liking.

Question is has anyone run the OEM shocks with OME TBs and 860 springs (with no added weight) ? I know it would likely create more strain on the shocks but just wasn't sure if it could be done. Or would I be better just paying up and getting OEM springs and TB as well

OME makes a comfort version, which I have in the rear of mine. It is a bit stiff around town (nothing inside, no 2d 3rd row seats, no drawers, etc, BUT slee dual swing outs). Camping ready its fine

N60002-S

Went with the Gabriel Ultras (lifetime warranty) just to try a set and see how they are.. Supposedly, they're built to the same OEM specs. One month in, pretty impressed with them so far. Solid feel but also soft when needed- corners really well. I know i will probably get flamed for even mentioning Gabriels, but I really like them so far!

What was the cost?

What was the cost?

Cost was a factor for me this time around (Especially after Timing Belt/Water pump, Tensioner, Idler, Fan Bracket, belt) so the cost, teamed with the fact that Autozone will take them back and replace with basically no questions asked- made it a pretty hard option to ignore. They're about 39 bucks a piece, with a "buy 3 get one free" coupon- a 20% off coupon in store (for rewards members) and a 20$ rewards credit.. I got them all 4 for basically 68 dollars plus tax after the price breaks.

The Gabriels ride great so far, VERY happy with the ride and performance. With the lifetime warranty... was hard to say no! Honestly, I'm glad I went this way- saved a ton of $$ and the truck rides like I imagine it was when new (with the exception of the now older bushings).

Well, that is a very good price! I look forward to hearing how they hold up.

Did these Gabriels not include bushings? If not, will you replace the worn bushings with new, OEM or aftermarket?

Well, that is a very good price! I look forward to hearing how they hold up.

Did these Gabriels not include bushings? If not, will you replace the worn bushings with new, OEM or aftermarket?

I will keep you posted. As they're "settling" the ride is improving week to week. They came with new bushings, everything needed for a complete install. Bushing quality seems pretty good, but of course it's always hard to tell by eyeballing.

Hi, guys I've been researching this topic for the past few weeks and have chatted with a few people on here.

One of my projects planned for the spring is to invigorate some life into my suspension by replacing shocks with either new OEM Toyota or Bilstein. I've been going back and forth because I don't want to get rid of the compliant ride, but want onroad dynamics to be a bit better; this is no Lotus but most of my driving is onroad, with occasional trips out on country roads with my Toyota family from here!

Right now my shocks are 20 years old with 107k on them and the ride is kinda crashy over bumps and potholes, and cornering is pretty embarrassing. Other than that, it's compliant and composed. As I said, I'm not looking for sports car, glued-to-the-road handling but something better than what I have now.

How have people felt about new OEM vs Bilstein? This is highly subjective but I've read everything from OEM is too soft to Bilstein is too stiff... The price for OEM is VERY enticing, but I want to get others feedback before I pull the trigger.

I wish I could get a comparison between a stock 100 with just new OEM Toyota and another with new Bilsteins. On the whole I prefer a slightly firmer ride that's not harsh, but still compliant over potholes (which there are plenty of I upstate NY) and back woods roads but also offer decent onroad handling for a vehicle this size. I don't even know if anything like this exists, but figured I'd ask!

Anyway, thanks guys, see you around.

Rich

Edit: changed "suggestive" to "subjective"

Last edited:
Hi, guys I've been researching this topic for the past few weeks and have chatted with a few people on here.

One of my projects planned for the spring is to invigorate some life into my suspension by replacing shocks with either new OEM Toyota or Bilstein. I've been going back and forth because I don't want to get rid of the compliant ride, but want onroad dynamics to be a bit better; this is no Lotus but most of my driving is onroad, with occasional trips out on country roads with my Toyota family from here!

Right now my shocks are 20 years old with 107k on them and the ride is kinda crashy over bumps and potholes, and cornering is pretty embarrassing. Other than that, it's compliant and composed. As I said, I'm not looking for sports car, glued-to-the-road handling but something better than what I have now.

How have people felt about new OEM vs Bilstein? This is highly suggestive but I've read everything from OEM is too soft to Bilstein is too stiff... The price for OEM is VERY enticing, but I want to get others feedback before I pull the trigger.

I wish I could get a comparison between a stock 100 with just new OEM Toyota and another with new Bilsteins. On the whole I prefer a slightly firmer ride that's not harsh, but still compliant over potholes (which there are plenty of I upstate NY) and back woods roads but also offer decent onroad handling for a vehicle this size. I don't even know if anything like this exists, but figured I'd ask!

Anyway, thanks guys, see you around.

Rich

Just my opinion, and I drive my Hundy every single day... The OEM shocks are great for Every day use. Like you said, the ride is relaxed, composed, and comfortable. Unless you're going for a real off-road BEAST, where you'd go for a set of new heavy duty springs and OME adjustable.. The OEM is perfect. I can exit the highway in sharp curves with confidence with the OEM.

Forgot to mention, running ko2 at 40 psi with oem shocks and just yesterday took a "detour" through a deep ditch and up a hill/been with 100% confidence and no tossing around. I have Gabriel Ultras, which are OEM equivalent..and AutoZone will replace them for life if they fail. So, can't really go wrong there for a daily driver!

Thanks for the feedback, again I'm not looking for razor sharp reflexes, it's just I haven't had the luxury of driving new OEM shocks on a stock rig just so I could get a basis to compare. Right now, overall the ride is fine without any floatiness or wandering, but traffic circles and on ramps are kind of pathetic and potholes and bumps are kinda "crashy" (for lack of a better term), I'm not sure if that's due to the shocks age and mileage and if new Bilstein or Yota OEM would cure that.

I did replace front and rear swaybar links and bushings last year so I'm kinda going back and forth.

Some say Bilsteins have a firmer ride (but in a good way), others say they are too firm and send the cabin crashing over bumps... All in all, it's subjective to each ones preferences but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom