Nut & Bolt Frame-Off 1978 FJ40 Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you want to go full-bore, put Redline gear oil in the diffs and t-case and their MTL in the tranny. Best synthetics available, but many $$$. Otherwise, use Mobil 1 for quality and availability.

I swear you WILL notice a difference in shifting quality with MTL in the tranny.
Never heard of Redline till this. Thanks dNp.

Used woytovich's harness diagram and spreadsheet to redo my upper harness today.

Soaked the entire harness overnight in a mixture of simple green, super clean, and hot water.

Replaced broken connectors, cut out PO's handiwork, pulled all the old tape off, and rewrapped everything in plastic sheathing and 3M Super 33 tape. Replaced firewall grommetswith new grommets from CruiserCorps.

IMG_8996.JPG
IMG_8997.PNG
IMG_8998.PNG
IMG_8999.PNG
IMG_9003.JPG

Noel, I wish I still had that OE windshield I sold you.

Disassembled and reconditioned my fuse box. Also installed new fuse box cover from @Racer65 .

For the box, I removed the brass and copper fittings, and sprayed everything in the blasting cabinet. The fittings came out looking beautiful. The block got hit with some plastic adhesion promoter, then some semi gloss paint.

Before:
IMG_8994.JPG

Disassembly:
IMG_9010.JPG

Reassembly:
IMG_9017.JPG

Finished:
IMG_9012.JPG

Got another load of parts blasted in the blasting cabinet, then shot everything with the last little bit of 2-part epoxy primer I had left over from painting the body. Looks like I'll have to order another gallon of it, a gallon of activator, and another gallon of basecoat.
IMG_9016.JPG

Started on the windshield assembly today.

Cleaned up wiper motor assembly
IMG_9019.JPG

Reconditioned sprayer nozzle.
IMG_9020.JPG

I need to remove the windshield now.
IMG_9021.JPG

Spent a bit of time assembling coolant/washer fluid assembly.

Cad hardware, some new stainless hardware, new hoses, reservoirs, and caps. Mounted on powdercoated bracket.

IMG_9025.JPG
IMG_9026.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure. Are you talking about the windshield glass gasket?

Let me see what kind of condition mine is in first. If it's bad, and yours is compatible, I'll certainly be interested.

Spent a small fortune on parts today.

Still another $1k to spend at CCOT.

IMG_9033.PNG
IMG_9034.jpg
IMG_9035.PNG
IMG_9036.PNG

It is and it was purchased from him.

IMG_9038.JPG

Thanks for the swag, @beno !

Got the glass out and sand blasted the windshield frame. Of course, there were several holes from the PO where screws had been placed for a soft top. Those got welded closed and ground flush. This frame was in surprisingly good condition!

Grinding down the old welds:
IMG_9044.JPG

Filling those pesky screw holes.
IMG_9045.JPG

Blasted:
IMG_9046.JPG

IMG_9048.JPG

Primed:
IMG_9049.JPG

Stepping up my tool game.

3M orbital sander with Hook-it adapter and interface pad.

Also got various wet sanding disks from 800 to 3000 grit.

This thing is gonna shine!

IMG_9052.JPG

Spent the morning wet sanding the outside of the tub. Worked my way up to 3000 grit. It's ready for buffing now.
IMG_9056.JPG

Also covered all the wire tie-downs with marine grade heatshrink.
IMG_9057.JPG

Boom.

IMG_9069.JPG
IMG_9070.JPG
IMG_9071.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom