Nurture My Pig! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thought of another thing, Proffitts cruisers will send you a housing already set up for spring over. So will CTS. I would also recommend the sm 465 4speed swap.
Will hold up to the V8. It is dirt cheap, find them everywhere, 6.3 1st gear and can use a plate adapter (try toys r us in salida, CO)or since you have the wheel base the Advance Adapter. Also look into the Taurus electric fan to keep it cool with the stock radiator. And good temp guage. You will need it.

Last edited:
Thought of another thing, Proffitts cruisers will send you a housing already set up for spring over. So will CTS. I would also recommend the sm 465 4speed swap.
Will hold up to the V8. It is dirt cheap, find them everywhere, 6.3 1st gear and can use a plate adapter (try toys r us in salida, CO)or since you have the wheel base the Advance Adapter. Also look into the Taurus electric fan to keep it cool with the stock radiator. And good temp guage. You will need it.

they haven't been toysrus for well over a decade....they got sued and are classic cruisers now. i had one of their adapters and wouldn't do it again...took forever to get and was misdrilled. huge nightmare. replaced it with a woody adapter. think they may still be available through poser.

i'm doing essentially the same thing to the pickle, except the 465. had one in my 40 and hated it...very clunky transmission. 350 is in, mated to toy 4spd setup, someday stock case will get replaced with orion. rear fj60 axle is almost done, 35" swampers for now. will start cutting front end off soon for fj62 ft axle and ps, moving front axle forward a couple of inches.

if you ever come to denver, stop by, you can take a look at where i am and compare to pigheads rig on 37s with stock engine.

Last edited:

Cool! I'm going to try to get the body and chassis in decent shape before I really dive into the drivetrain, but this info sure helps.

Thanks again!

they haven't been toysrus for well over a decade....they got sued and are classic cruisers now. i had one of their adapters and wouldn't do it again...took forever to get and was misdrilled. huge nightmare. replaced it with a woody adapter. think they may still be available through poser.

i'm doing essentially the same thing to the pickle, except the 465. had one in my 40 and hated it...very clunky transmission. 350 is in, mated to toy 4spd setup, someday stock case will get replaced with orion. rear fj60 axle is almost done, 35" swampers for now. will start cutting front end off soon for fj62 ft axle and ps, moving front axle forward a couple of inches.

if you ever come to denver, stop by, you can take a look at where i am and compare to pigheads rig on 37s with stock engine.

Yeah, I'd like to get up to Denver and check out your pigs again. I got a lot of great ideas from them at the Rising Sun rally this summer. I think I'm headed down the same road with mine as you are with the pickle.

Great info. I bought the kit from Bob as well but I have not gotten any closer to doing any cut and welding on mine. I drive it around town and I know if I start the job I will not be able to have fun with it for a while. Keep up the great work!

Parts in Tucson? What? Where? SoCal? Where that's not to far for me either please more details

Some axle swap questions.

I see alot of people putting 60 series axles on their pigs. What is the main benefit? I realize you get a wider axle, but are there any other major benefits?

Are they stronger, more stout, better gear ratios, easier disc conversions, cheaper/more available parts?

If I'm am going to do an axle swap, is there a benefit to using 62 axles over 60 axles?

I have access to a good deal to some 60 axles, but after reading alot of the axle swap threads, I'm not sure if I should try to find some 62's or just keep the 55 axles.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Travis,

I like 60 axles, because they have the disc brakes already, stronger axles, wider, but also they have the E-brake in the rear drums. I have a split case with the H55, so I needed some type of E-brake. Worked out good.

I swapped all the disk brake stuff from a 62 over to the 55 axle. Not bad. I got a rear axle with the deal so now I am swapping out the 55 because of the single piston, the automatic adjusting drums, and the emergency brake. I am just starting the rear so I am not sure how much work it will end up being- inbaord the perches, axle seals out, and fab somekind of ebrake. I liked how my wheels were inside of the fender and worried about the wheels now sticking out about an inch and it looking too hillbilly. I am done with the front with spacers to match where I think the rear end will be and it is not soo bad.

rear wouldn't be too hard, just welding on perches/brackets. you don't have to do the rear ebrake thing and you would gain stability. even tho the blue pig is sua, i wish i'd kept a spare 60 rear housing that i had. if i come across another free setup, i'll be going rear fj60 on it. visibly, it's not very noticeable, so it won't look stupid doing just one axle.

front requires outboarding the springs, so more work there

And 62 have a truss already on our axles. At least the front.

Thanks Cody Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Yes, better chance of findjng fine spline 4.1 gears in 62, although it was an option on 60s, as well, the 3.73s were an option on the 62s. Only front axle is gusseted. 62s also usually have round flanges at tue pinions so drilling a 55 ds pattern is easy...don't know what year that came out, but my 83 60 did not hqve a round flange

most USA 62s were 4.1.....and they're also the youngest in their family lines.....if you're going to rebuild the diff, then go with a soild spacer instead of the crush sleeve at the pinion. makes replacing seals, swapping flanges easier-welp, it takes the guesswork out of setting up pinion bearing preload.....

most USA 62s were 4.1.....and they're also the youngest in their family lines.....if you're going to rebuild the diff, then go with a soild spacer instead of the crush sleeve at the pinion. makes replacing seals, swapping flanges easier-welp, it takes the guesswork out of setting up pinion bearing preload.....

Sounds good. Looks like I'm going to start the search for some 62 axles.

Also, I dig your new Avatar.

Last edited:
Hack up the Pig?

Well, I got to spend some quality time with the Pig this weekend and I again had to talk myself back into trying to save it. There's just soooo much rust.

Anyway, a slow day at work today, so I'm playing with a few ideas (motivated by the fact that the rear roof section is pretty much toast). Don't criticize the illustrations either, they're done in MS Paint :).

The first pic got me thinking. The second pic is something I found online and like to mess with for ideas. The third pic is what I'm contemplating, minus the too cool for me rims.

I like the idea, but am concerned about a few things:

1) Would I need to extend the C pillar to give the people in the back seat safe head room (I plan on bouncing them around)? I would want a closed in cab.

2) If I do try to bob the rear end, how much of a pain in the ass would if be to bob the rear section of the frame? Gas tank clearance issues? Not worried about the spare since it'll find a new home in back somewhere.

3) Getting the rear roof section to look decent.

As always, thanks for the comments / concerns / ideas.

Cheers.
fj55pickup-vi.jpg
FJ55 Drawing.jpg
FJ55 Option 1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom