SOLD North County San Diego: 1991 Land Cruiser HZJ77 Front/Rear Lockers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Mileage
Color
Black
1991 HZJ77 RHD w/ Front & Rear Lockers
REDUCED Price: $29,250 $24,000 (See last post)

Google Photos Link

I purchased this from a mud member (see prior listing), and I drove it down from Seattle to San Diego.

Going through this experience and after having it for a few months, I learned that it doesn’t make sense for me to own this at my stage (Unfortunate to learn after the fact!) I recently got into Land Cruisers (I’m very new to Mud) and was very excited to get my hands on one. Maybe too excited, if I’m honest. I have 2 young kiddos and this took up a heck of a lot of time and money. It’s just not right for our family right now. I didn’t realize how nervous I would feel with no airbags. But hey, you don’t know these things until you experience them. I would have always been left wondering if I didn’t try! Would love to still stay in the Cruiser club but need something newer for my first rodeo.

This was my first Cruiser and I jumped in deep with both feet. I had Georg at Valley Hybrids complete work on it (See attached invoices) and probably asked him 2-3 times if he thought it was a good truck. He assured me it was. Please feel free to call Valley Hybrids and ask him.

My time, effort, and money is your gain. I am happy to disclose it all (See “issues” below). I just want to give the next owner a fair price. Think of it like this: you would have had to do it anyway and I got it done for you. I definitely won’t win the round money-wise and that’s OK.

It’s registered and titled in Montana under an LLC, but resides in Carlsbad, CA (North County San Diego). I learned how to title it in Montana since California doesn’t like JDM’s, so happy to help the next owner with that process if need be.

UPGRADES:
-I have brand new LED headlights that are ready to be installed that I got from Georg.
-Old Man Emu 2in Lift
-33" Falken Wildpeak AT3 w/1.25" spacers
-AISIN manual locking hubs
-ARB Front Bumper
-ComeUp 24v 12,000lb winch w/synthetic 26,000lb line
Safari Snorkel
-Front Runner full roof rack with shovel mount, tie downs (I removed it to fit in my garage)
-Front Runner rear door ladder
-Ironman USA 1.4m awning
-Terrain Tamer Heavy Duty Radiator
-ARB Differential Breathers
-4 welded recovery points
-Professional undercoated
-Kylmit sound deadening (this runs on the floor of rear and trunk)
-Trasharoo
-Apple Car Play
I re-installed the back seats (as you’ll see in the pictures). But I still have the camping drawer set up!

MECHANICAL/SERVICE WORK:
-The car drives so much better after Georg worked on it this June
-See invoice paperwork in photos (bill was $6,010 + $1,079 for power steering pump & transfer case kit)
-New Terrain Tamer Transfer Case Overhaul Kit
-New Modified Transfer Case Input Gear
-New Power Steering Pump
-New RedHead Power Steering Box
-New OME Steering Dampener
-Replaced OEM Rear Drive Shaft (this fixed the mild vibration while driving)
-Repaired Fuel Injection Pump
-New Rear Brake Pads
-Currently installing new (rebuilt) fuel injectors
-I have all the service records from the prior owner as well

ISSUES (I want to be completely honest):
-Steering wheel wobbles between 60-80 km/hr but then stops at higher speeds
-Driver’s side window motor needs help for it to close
-Tachometer works intermittently
-Oil pressure gauge doesn’t work (but I hear that’s common)
-Rust on the inside panel of the sunroof (There is NO other rust on the truck - Georg confirmed)
-Overhead interior lights don’t turn on
-Front speakers need to be replaced
-Passenger door on driver’s side doesn’t open from the inside (the latch probably just needs to be fiddled with)
-One of the vents in the trunk is broken (see pictures)
-Wheel well liner (front passenger) has come loose
-No carpet in back - it was removed to add the sound deadening and put the camping drawers/setup in.
-Original paint is silver. When it was imported it was painted black, which I hear is common (there's a mark on the roof which shows the silver paint)

I asked Georg if this car could be a daily driver and he (again) assured me with a big “yes.” Thankfully, the engine is solid and the miles on it are incredibly low.

I’d be happy to answer any other questions. Feel free to PM me directly and I can give you my cell.

-Stephen

D266A502-47C8-47A7-A5F0-65B6DFA6E6FF.JPG

Last edited:
Well friends...bummer news for me but opportunity knocks for you. I'm having trouble with the injection pump and have exhausted my limited knowledge and resources. The truck runs great when I continually prime the primer pump. There's no air bubbles from the tank to the primer or to the injection pump. But I am seeing air bubbles when I bleed the injectors. That makes me think it's something to do with the injection pump.

I'm reducing the price to $24,000 to compensate for the pump issue. I know it's not a good look to have a broken car for sale. And here's what I propose: For whoever wants it, I'll get it up to Georg at Valley Hybrids and then you can have him fix whatever you want and take it from there.

This past week I've added a new OEM primer pump and fixed the rip in the front seat so now it looks good.

Thanks for all the encouraging words from those that messaged me.

Last edited:
Such a cool rig!

Bump,
Solid deal
Thanks! And I asked Georg for how much a rebuilt injection pump costs and he said $2500-$4000. I dropped this thing from high $29K to $24K. So worst case still a deal considering everything done to it previously. Trying to give you all the numbers so you can make a call. I'm ready to move on! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom