SOLD NorCal - Early Dash Knob Set Screw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Missing one of the set screws for early style rotary dash knobs (head light/ wipers).

Edit - Spent some time at local hardware store yesterday, now believe the size to be M3 x 0.6 @ 12mm long. Of course they did not carry this exact size but was able to narrow down some of the questions. Surprisingly, found that a standard size 4-40 x 1/2" was a little loose but could be a last resort if I strike out here. Did also purchase an M3 x 0.5 thread in case I wanted to "force fit".

Can anybody help, either with cheap shipping or links to replacement options?
Thanks,
Jimmy

IMG_6566.jpeg

IMG_6567.jpeg

IMG_6570.jpeg

Last edited:
Still hoping that somebody out there has one of these unicorn horns in their parts yard or bin of misc. screws. Until then, I continue my search. Today I came across this thread from Krondor, also includes a link to some other detailed info. he discovered regarding JIS. Wanting to repost and/or include here to help the next one.

I may have one off my old light switch. I’ll go check and report back

Did search McMasterCarr?
This is as close as I can find.
Screws, M3.5 x 0.6 mm Thread, 12 mm Long

Hi rd66toy, thank you for checking. Greatly appreciate your update.

Hi KT40, did check them. They did not have anything with correct thread pitch.
Thank you both.

I researched even more. Tough one to find.
My metric tap and die set actually has the tap and die. But when you search the internet, most everything is 0.050 pitch.

I found that interesting also, could find the tools to create but very little to go into it:) Did speak with Krondor regarding his link to shop in Australia. If no luck by next week, think I will be going that route.

Big shout out to Chase (red66toy) @ Cruiser Cult (Cruiser Cult Shop - https://cruiser-cult.myshopify.com/) for digging into his parts bin to find this screw. Many thanks, well received and GREATLY appreciated.

As an alternative to the original parts replacement, i did find this motorcycle carburetor shop on Ebay (KM Carburetor).
Fairly quick shipping and reasonable pricing (all things considered). Biggest thing was that the thread pitch was correct, it fit and would be functional. Slightly shorter than original and also a pan head style but with JIS head pattern. Was originally going to try and reshape the pan head to get it tapered for a better "seat" but was not needed.

Big shout out to Chase (red66toy) @ Cruiser Cult (Cruiser Cult Shop - https://cruiser-cult.myshopify.com/) for digging into his parts bin to find this screw. Many thanks, well received and GREATLY appreciated.

As an alternative to the original parts replacement, i did find this motorcycle carburetor shop on Ebay (KM Carburetor).
Fairly quick shipping and reasonable pricing (all things considered). Biggest thing was that the thread pitch was correct, it fit and would be functional. Slightly shorter than original and also a pan head style but with JIS head pattern. Was originally going to try and reshape the pan head to get it tapered for a better "seat" but was not needed.
Glad it made it safe! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom