Noisy coil springs FJ62, 1988 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For shop recommendations I know there are a few guys that head down that way constantly, think @MANUCHAO @AdventureToolCompany are two of them.

Yeah.... that's still on the bucket list of trips....
Sorry can't help much on that..

I did change my old stock suspension to an OME 2" suspension with basic tools... but yeah that was a rust free frame from SoCal....
I second getting the U bolts from Dave @lcwizard

GL

@Frkens

For the 60 series the u-bolts are wider in the rear to accommodate the wider axle perches. The top and bottom plates are wider to match.
The front shares the width with the 40 series. The 60 rear has space on each side of the spring to fit the wrap around rubber isolators.
The front u-bolts tuck right to the springs

@89BIGBLUE thanks for the reference. I will do as your uncle says. I made it into a routine to spray them with WD40 every morning before departure. Once I reach El Salvador, I'll stay the same place for a couple of days. So while the miss is out having I'll be under the car having fun, taking off the leaf springs, installing new noise dampeners and lubing them properly.

@gregnash Add-a-leaf sounds like a great plan for the moment. I'll look into if I can get my hands on one of those.

@89GASHOG cool, that is good news allthough I think that is going to be a project for when I get back home to Denmark!

@MANUCHAO I could try and get my hands on a new lift kit. I bought my car in SOCAL too, and it's also rustfree. But I won't put my money on that I can get a new lift kit, and I think with new noise dampeners, it will make a difference.

@lcwizard thanks for your comment. Makes it a lot easier for me to understand what the spare parts left for me is... I am a newbie as it's my first TLC, but I really want this car to be in great shape again, and I'm eager to learn!

I know leaf springs could make different noises .. but what I ear on the video didn't sound like old dry spring pack noises to me .. it sounds the same when you flex your suspension .?

For what it's worth, I just bought a set of used rear OME springs to replace my rusty stock springs with extended shackles, and when setting down the individual packs on the ground noticed that one of them made a clicking noise.
The noise dampers are in place in both packs, but one of the leaves just clicks against another under pressure in one of them. So, it looks like I'll be living with a similar noise once these get installed.

May not be the springs in your case though. Hard to say.

@Tapage I just had new shocks installed if that's what you mean by suspension?

@89GASHOG ooh, that's interesting. Could you update me on if there's a noise once they're installed?

@89GASHOG ooh, that's interesting. Could you update me on if there's a noise once they're installed?

Will do, though it could be awhile. I may wait until Spring, as the chilly, dark season has set in here.

you see here a 60 series flexing suspension ..

Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks for your great input on my leaf springs!

I chose to add a leaf to see if it would make a difference. I found a decent shop in the Southern part of Mexico. They guy installed it for me and greased them up and installed new noise dampeners. 70$ all in all. He didn't know what the flip kit was so he wouldn't install it. Also I feel like I'm going to save that for when I get home and buy a new set of leaf springs. It looks really great now (check the pictures in the bottom to see the difference).
Allthough it's the front leaf springs that was more noisy, I chose to get the rear leaf springs changed as they looked really soggy and as the car was on its "heal".
I didn't want to add a leaf to the front leaf springs, because it has a ride height that I think is great allthough I think it sucks that they make noises like that. My solution is, when I reach El Salvador in a weeks time, I'll have a couple of days to take the front ones apart, install noise dampeners and grease them up real good. Please correct me if I'm wrong (based on the pictures I uploaded here earlier), thinking that they're fine.
IMG_20171021_181701_070.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom