No spark 1966 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok.. I searched and found diagrams but still stumped.. below are pics of my setup. This has been sitting since maybe 1987 so who knows.. oiled cylinders and new starter and it turns over fine just no spark.. 12v to the coil with key on just no spark from coil wire. So it had a wire(red one in pic) that goes from distributor side post then run inside cab not connected to anything. Thinking this needs to be connected somewhere to get me spark? The only wires to the coil are 1/ 12v hot from key(starter wiring loom) and 2/ wire from coil down to the distributor. What am I missing?
0C9A3E2E-6A18-4879-9D2F-58176EF8DC79.jpeg
57BD2634-B009-4CE8-B8EF-74A0A4F7C3EC.jpeg

Red wire may have gone to a tach. It’s not needed.

Black wire should go to points through the side of the distributor.

What’s happening under the cap? My guess is that the points are fried or not adjusted correctly.

If nothing obvious, I’d run the lead from the coil to the top of a loose plug, connect the plug to ground with a jumper cable and turn over the engine. What happened at the plug?

Still nothing… With the ignition on, tap a ground wire to the negative side of the coil, what happened at the plug?

I’ll try that tomorrow! Points had corrosion on them. I cleaned to see if better.. I’ll replace points tomorrow and try again. I bet that was for a tac! Good catch. I’ll delete that wire as well.

I hope this helps. A lot easier to post several then to try explain what was already said.
I will say make sure your terminals are clean and not oxidized. Also make you points and condenser are not shorting out to distributor casing. And of course make your parts are good and points properly gapped

This problem is common mostly cleaning connections with wire brush and emery clothe will do the trick. Points can be cleaned but don't be surprised if needs to be replaced. The condenser may also be bad, it's basically an electrolytic capacitor. This will go bad over time. Even on the shelf.

Couple of things
AA3130B7-24C4-4AD9-84F7-89F12CFCEAFF.jpeg

Red wire went into dash with a u electrical connection.. someone pointed out that it was probably for a tac.. thanks everyone for all the info.. tomorrow I’ll clean all connections re do negative connection at coil and check points. If still no start replace points/ condenser.. hopefully that will wake this cruiser up!

It’s alive!! Cleaned all connections and replaced some.. store gave me wrong points but it starts! Now time to get fuel system and cooling system fixed up.

B815E63B-CBDD-4D82-9776-117B84E73441.jpeg

6ED4532F-1CF6-4826-88A9-1A16D2463141.jpeg

211A6101-1ADB-40E4-95EF-0EC912163B4E.jpeg

Don’t waste a penny on that ticking time bomb. Order a stock ND dizzy and don’t look back. City Racervcarries new ones, and John @4Cruisers has refurbished.

He will have three more shortly.😉

Good advise! Once I get coolant in it and has to the carb and confirm motor is good I’ll put $in it

Good advise! Once I get coolant in it and has to the carb and confirm motor is good I’ll put $in it…if the dizzy doesn’t blow up the motor on the way.
FIFY

I BOUGHT MY FIRST FJ40 36 YEARS AGO FROM A GUY WHO BLEW HIS ENGINE UP…TWICE..WITH THAT DISTRIBUTOR.

It fails and locks up?

Don’t waste a penny on that ticking time bomb. Order a stock ND dizzy and don’t look back. City Racervcarries new ones, and John @4Cruisers has refurbished.

He will have three more shortly.😉
@4Cruisers , dizzies are boxed up and waiting for your PP payment.😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom