Night Vision + Front Windshield Tint = ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to purchase an LX470 with the night vision feature. I don't have any use for the night vision feature, but one thing that's concerning for me is that the windshield has a small square on it, where the night vision displays at. Is that small square a film that can be removed or is it built into the windshield? Reason I ask is because I tint all of my windshields with 15% tint and I don't know what the end result is going to be with the night vision piece on the windshield... In other words, if it's a film that cannot be removed, will the new window tint that I install have air pockets around the perimeter of the night vision square or does it go on seamlessly? Also, has anybody ever replaced their windshield that had the night vision option on it with a windshield without that option?

What?

You tint your windshield? You do realize that's against the law? How do you expect to see pedestrians at night? I understand its bright in FL, but, sunglasses??

Google also says 15% isn't even legal on your front windows never mind your windshield.

Florida 2016/2017 Tint Laws

People tint their windshields all the time. Yes- it is illegal in most places but keeps your car cooler, saves your seats and dash, and your eyes.

I have an LX470 with the Night View and its built in to the windshield. For that reason a replacement can get into the thousands to replace. I expect that you would have no issues and that it would go on your windshield without issue. I had done 50% on previous vehicles and never had issues with it. Recently moved to Texas though and they don't mess around with window tint laws so I played by the rules this time. Dang, I must be getting old.

When I had my LX tinted, I asked about the windshield and they do about 5 windshields per day in the Llumar AIR Clear with great reviews and not a single one has been brought back in to have it removed due to a police citation. You loose the privacy and some heat reflectivity of a darker tint but gain visability and "legality". Food for thought.

I have an LX470 with the Night View and its built in to the windshield. For that reason a replacement can get into the thousands to replace. I expect that you would have no issues and that it would go on your windshield without issue. I had done 50% on previous vehicles and never had issues with it. Recently moved to Texas though and they don't mess around with window tint laws so I played by the rules this time. Dang, I must be getting old.
Does the night view built into the glass ever bother you?

Oxidized titanium ceramic coating on the inside of the glass

IMG_1926.PNG

Does the night view built into the glass ever bother you?

Not at all. Only time I ever notice it is when I am approaching the car from the outside and the sun is hitting the windshield just right. At first I thought that the image was projected onto the windshield but its really just a type of reflector. The casing by the windshield flips a screen and then you see the reflection on the windshield.

Not at all. Only time I ever notice it is when I am approaching the car from the outside and the sun is hitting the windshield just right. At first I thought that the image was projected onto the windshield but its really just a type of reflector. The casing by the windshield flips a screen and then you see the reflection on the windshield.
Great to hear. Thanks for the help.

Legality depends on state. It's legal here in GA and I have mine tinted. Cuts down on UV and the heat.

IMO tinting the windshield is downright irresponsible. The diference in night time visibility is incredible, regardless of it saving your dash or windshield (and your eyes? seriously? If you live in FL you probably own 10 different sunglasses).

Night vision is interesting, on the other hand. How does it work?

I have tint on my front windshield thanks to the previous owner, 3M Crystalline 90. It's DOT legal.

@planomateo .... how do you like the windscreen tint (reduce heat, glare, etc.)? I'm looking at having this done to my 98 LX. My windscreen appears to be an aftermarket (no toyota or lexus logos) and no way a windscreen lasts 20 years in TX with the chip-seal roads. Anyway, looking to get your thoughts.

IMO tinting the windshield is downright irresponsible. The diference in night time visibility is incredible, regardless of it saving your dash or windshield (and your eyes? seriously? If you live in FL you probably own 10 different sunglasses).

Night vision is interesting, on the other hand. How does it work?
Have you had your windshield tinted? If not then you have no grounds to say that nighttime visibility is hampered.

I have had almost every vehicle I have owned tinted, including the windshield. I never go too dark (20% rears, 30% fronts, and 70% windshield) and have absolutely no issues seeing anything at any time of the day. In fact nobody can even tell that my windshield is tinted, barely even me, but it helps reduce heat, and I have found it to reduce glare at night.

It's the unmodest guys in the lifted trucks rolling around with 5% windows and 30% windshield you need to worry about.

I bought my truck from a lady in Arizona who had all windows tinted including windshield. Tint on the windshield is very slight but helpful. Does not impede vision at night at all IMO. All depends on the level of tint.

@planomateo .... how do you like the windscreen tint (reduce heat, glare, etc.)? I'm looking at having this done to my 98 LX. My windscreen appears to be an aftermarket (no toyota or lexus logos) and no way a windscreen lasts 20 years in TX with the chip-seal roads. Anyway, looking to get your thoughts.

Seems to work, the previous owner had it done and he really liked it, regretfully I can't compare the before/after. Tell you what, this weekend I'll do a quick test between two vehicles in the driveway and see which is hotter on the inside.

I'll test between mine LC w/ tint and the LX w/o tint. I'd do it today, but my wife is out with the LX at the moment, it's supposed to rain this evening and most of tomorrow, but Saturday should be a good test.

I have a laser temperature gun so it should be simple to find out.

Seems to work, the previous owner had it done and he really liked it, regretfully I can't compare the before/after. Tell you what, this weekend I'll do a quick test between two vehicles in the driveway and see which is hotter on the inside.

I'll test between mine LC w/ tint and the LX w/o tint. I'd do it today, but my wife is out with the LX at the moment, it's supposed to rain this evening and most of tomorrow, but Saturday should be a good test.

I have a laser temperature gun so it should be simple to find out.

That would AMAZING! Thanks! I wasn't even aware of the windscreen tint option until yesterday when I located a place here in Austin that could match the bronze tint on my 98 LX for the front 2 windows.

Realizing this isn't the most scientific experiment, held the laser about 1" off the surface.

LX470, black dash, no tint on front = 171 degrees
LC, tan dash, 3M crystalline 90 on front = 160 degrees

Both cars have been outside for almost 2 hours.

upload_2017-5-18_15-44-46.png

I'll do some additional testing this weekend. I know that black absorbs more heat, so the test above might not be meaningful. Got any ideas?

Last edited:
Realizing this isn't the most scientific experiment, held the laser about 1" off the surface.

LX470, black dash, no tint on front = 171 degrees
LC, tan dash, 3M crystalline 90 on front = 160 degrees

Both cars have been outside for almost 2 hours.

View attachment 1462298

I'll do some additional testing this weekend. I know that black absorbs more heat, so the test above might not be meaningful. Got any ideas?

The only thing I got would be to maybe lay out a matching large bath or beach towel on the dashes of both vehicles and then take the readings? That would make each vehicle have the same control (dash color). Just a shot in the dark with that theory. I really appreciate you doing this BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom