Next group buy!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stevebradford

In the shop
Threads
@bikersmurf i have a idea for another group buy! How would you feel about 20 180pound bumpers showing up at your house? :eek: And fronting the 20k to buy them! :p
4PlusProducts | FJ40 | Front Bumpers | Retro Brush Bar
8AA22936-9428-466D-9B97-1483931CE8A4.jpeg

OK with the delivery... $200 is one thing... $20k is more than I have laying around

I dunno about this, Shayde has been talking with the guy and he is having a hard time getting one bumper out for him...Sounds like he may be going through something?

Hard to believe no one is doing bumpers up here, the dollar difference should be a big enough reason to manufacture in Canada.?

Last edited:
I've done a few bumpers for my trucks and they are quite a bit of work, I think not a lot of people want to pay big money for them, especially if one can scab some pieces of metal together and put something together for yourself that doesn't cost a lot. Saying that I have always thought one day I would get into building bumpers, just haven't found the time, but I have big ideas in my head (one day will get around to building one for my 42 as I don't seem to like any that are out there on the market right now), maybe I should start doing some in my spare time ;)
Picture 004.jpg

IMG_1231.JPG

P5151496.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

FJ60/62 Rear Bumper Kits

Not every one would can weld but if you can find someone these flat pack kits are a decent option??

Looking slick Denny, personally I am not a big fan of fabrication as I spent a few years in Ship drive building in Vancouver and one of my jobs was grinding for 10 hours a day:slap: If I had the tooling I would cad this stuff up and have it burned on a table and then have some assembly jigs like we had at Ulstien Maritime.

Second big issue for us is location, as I spent a few days in Stockton California at a very busy landcruiser only shop. I was lucky enough to see many rust free cruisers and of course a population base to provide endless cruiser projects.

Second big issue for us is location, as I spent a few days in Stockton California at a very busy landcruiser only shop. I was lucky enough to see many rust free cruisers and of course a population base to provide endless cruiser projects.

Yup, our 200+ cruisers which keep going down due to the old trucks rusting and the good ones being taken by the Americans means less of a market to sell stuff to ;)

A while back there was someone advertising custom made bumpers on used Victoria.

T
FJ60/62 Rear Bumper Kits

Not every one would can weld but if you can find someone these flat pack kits are a decent option??

Looking slick Denny, personally I am not a big fan of fabrication as I spent a few years in Ship drive building in Vancouver and one of my jobs was grinding for 10 hours a day:slap: If I had the tooling I would cad this stuff up and have it burned on a table and then have some assembly jigs like we had at Ulstien Maritime.

There is that guy in Chilliwack, Cruiser____ building primarily for 80's it seems but he does good work.
As far as kits, using CNC table, I was at 4X4Labs for a visit and had a meet with Luke who is the owner.
He doesn't have the word Lab in his name for nothing, all his stuff is computer designed and precision cut
for fabrication. Beautiful, clean products. I don't think he sells kits.
There has been feedback from a couple of forum vendors who tried to sell kits, problem being
some guy buys a kit, fabricates with questionable skills then complains about the kit. Sort of puts them
in a spot and can make them look bad at no fault of their own.

I like building bumpers, going to have a stab at the 74 rear over the summer I think. If I was a bit
more well off, I'd consider building for more but it just isn't in the cards

Lukes stuff is a work of art for sure...while at Valley Hybrids I viewed his bumpers on Georgs HZJ76 with fiber glass raised roof that you can stand in.....details are amazing and quality workmanship...his price tag US might make us cheap cruiser heads cringe, then do the exhcange...not for the faint of heart.

I had all mine custom built in Sooke here on VI. Very fair price for what I got compared to similar style and quality.

I had all mine custom built in Sooke here on VI. Very fair price for what I got compared to similar style and quality.

Question is who and lets see a picture of your bumper Paul if you have time...:beer:

ABFA3B45-FE02-4530-A70F-978DD42FCC9F.jpeg
4C0A3A70-7434-435B-B671-C73BDAC12D28.jpeg
ACC833A9-F5F3-4306-B944-39FE19A14AC2.jpeg
2FA606D8-0CA1-4BCB-AC44-B07FA3644F21.jpeg
BCD2C18F-EE7D-47CB-888F-8132D121A1B9.jpeg
Brad @ Miller Welding & Ironworks. 250-642-2234

I gave him some pics of Kurt’s build thread of the rear bumper with double heim joints and Brad worked his magic.

The front bumper was built around the winch which is a 24v Aisin top pull which impacted how it could be mounted.

Brad built the front, rear, and sliders for me. Everything is 100% custom.

His price was fair for what I got. And the lines work better than I had expected for the list of “wants” that I asked for.

Outside of the pics I gave him, Brad had creative liberties and I was amazed at what he came up with.

Cheers!

Spiffy, so what else is needed to convert to disc? What do you do about e brake?

Those flanges use cruiser callipers or mini truck and put your rotors on the hub like the fronts

I have this kit for a disc drive shaft brake. Bolts on no modification.
8A6F8415-B847-4761-A311-7FE9CF02C010.jpeg

You need rear hubs available from cruiser outfitters. Nice hubs I have some already.
122BA545-8C9D-40D1-A930-31C86D747F43.jpeg

An inner axle seal of some sort, or run the hubs on diff oil. This is a inset to hold the seal inside the housing
57C9AA70-8A3D-4268-9464-F068F4564B41.jpeg

And either stock length axles or cut to length. With a flange or with splined ends both sides and a drive flange or locking hub.
346504FD-54B5-454A-ACCC-5C3783DF00D9.jpeg

On another full float axle I used 60 series drum backing plates so I could get a parking brake. I had to reshape the backing plate a bit but worked out great.
A14B64B4-819F-448E-98EC-62D30A8773F4.jpeg

More info here.
Full float info/parts

Last edited:
View attachment 1678450 View attachment 1678451 View attachment 1678452 View attachment 1678453 View attachment 1678454 Brad @ Miller Welding & Ironworks. 250-642-2234

I gave him some pics of Kurt’s build thread of the rear bumper with double heim joints and Brad worked his magic.

The front bumper was built around the winch which is a 24v Aisin top pull which impacted how it could be mounted.

Brad built the front, rear, and sliders for me. Everything is 100% custom.

His price was fair for what I got. And the lines work better than I had expected for the list of “wants” that I asked for.

Outside of the pics I gave him, Brad had creative liberties and I was amazed at what he came up with.

Cheers!

Really clean work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom