Newer 80 owner. Feeling disapointed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As no one has said this yet, it is a LOT easier to put in a manual tranny in against the 3F-E than is it against the 1FZ-FE. Tempering against CDan's email earlier, the 3F-E has no PHH problem nor as many HG issues (and I bet it's a lot more than 3-4% that was earlier posted).

If I were to ever buy another 80, it would be an FJ80 and I'd have an H55f or H41/2 + part-time xfer slapped in there (and figure out some way to deal with the speedo, etc) desmogged. That's not going to happen, but that would be my vehicle of choice for here in AZ & Mexico trips. Part of the reason I had a 3F-E put in my 40.

firetruck41 said:
Ummmm... yeah, that's wkat we do :rolleyes:

fj803fe was actually (as I take it) making direct fun of me as I often am a :crybaby: and baby my 80 a little too much and give him way too much :censor: about his trucks.

He and I share the same mother :D

for when you need to go over a hill on the freeway

I will say however that fj803fe doesn't have freeways where he lives; his 80 is used probably for EXACTLY what Toyota intended and in daily severe conditions in the field, and to top that he takes it wheeling on the weekends; his 80 is used & abused and that FJ80 has stood the test of time and him.

firetruck41 said:
:rolleyes:

Actually, you haven't owned a cruiser until you've owned a factory fr/rr locked Cruiser. Oh, your 40 wasn't locked when it left ARACO? :flipoff2:

Have you ever owned a 40? - If no, how would you know??????

40s did come factory locked too...FYI just a severe rarity.

fj803fe said:
Have you ever owned a 40? - If no, how would you know??????

40s did come factory locked too...FYI just a severe rarity.
Just giving out the same BS that is given. I would like to hear more about the factory locked NA 40s.

3fj40 said:
I will say however that fj803fe doesn't have freeways where he lives; his 80 is used probably for EXACTLY what Toyota intended and in daily severe conditions in the field, and to top that he takes it wheeling on the weekends; his 80 is used & abused and that FJ80 has stood the test of time and him.

The above is actually true-I more than likely love my 3fe more cause I use it for what it was intended-I drive like 7-10K miles/yr on business 75% of those miles are in areas like the first picture and 25 on two laners. I don't even have one of those things in the second picture-any where near me--what are they again? Sucks cause I change oil/filters/seals about every weekend night.

But still, to keep this out of chat, give the 3fe some time-it WILL grow on you.
da patch.JPG
highway.jpg

Last edited:
You are right, on the road you really see the benefit of the 1fz-fe, but when it comes to off road the fzj80 really suffers, with my fr/rr diff locks, full floater rear, 4 wheel disc brakes, tinted windows, and an extra 57hp and 55ft-lbs torque, it obviously wasn't designed for dirt roads.

Back to reality, the FJ80 is awesome, the FZJ80 awesome too.

firetruck41 said:
You are right, on the road you really see the benefit of the 1fz-fe, but when it comes to off road the fzj80 really suffers, with my fr/rr diff locks, full floater rear, 4 wheel disc brakes, tinted windows, and an extra 57hp and 55ft-lbs torque, it obviously wasn't designed for dirt roads.

Back to reality, the FJ80 is awesome, the FZJ80 awesome too.

Holly F*$%king S&*t Batman! :eek: Get over it-we are all conceding the point. :flipoff2:

BTW a lot of FZJs are not locked, but mine is locked f&r as well - I just so happened to install myself and still paid less for the truck and the added lockers, lift, gears, etc together than you likely did for your bone stocker fzj :cheers: . And to boot, my 80 has the potential to go everywhere any FZJ might, and more cause I’m not worried about the wax coming off ( :whoops: Don’t put your fists up-its just a joke :rolleyes: ).

Oh yeah, and no one EVER said the fzj wasn't made for "dirt roads" – 3fj40 was making a valid point-the earlier f series engines were not super conducive to the highway and are better suited to the uses for which he described. You can’t argue against the fact that the 1fz was designed to be more conducive to the highway-what octane gas do you run? What is recommended for it? And, why? What do you think the 3fe can get away with running? The1fz was flat out designed to be more in tune than its predecessors for the market it was intended for-and we all know what that is. The 3fe would be the engine of choice if you’re local gas station, where you fill up with your super gasoline and pick out your favorite drink, isn’t around. Hands down-the 3fe is otherwise bulletproof when speaking in comparisons-I’m not saying quickness- I am talking ease of “TRAIL” repair (not where you can hoof it to the nearest auto shop-middle of nowhere-no one around-repair), ability to run A LONG TIME on otherwise crappy gas in some pretty iffy countries, etc.

BTW, have you ever owned anything but a 1fz/A330?????????

I see the problem now, you are misinformed about the 1FZ-FE.

fj803fe said:
You can’t argue against the fact that the 1fz was designed to be more conducive to the highway

Yes, it is better on the highway, that does not mean it is less conducive to other uses.

-what octane gas do you run? What is recommended for it? And, why?
I run 87 (it is the lowest octane available locally) with no pinging or knocking, 87 is recomended, as is probably the case for the 3FE, I have no doubt it could run fine with lower octane since I have never had pinging.

What do you think the 3fe can get away with running?
Same as the 1fzfe

The1fz was flat out designed to be more in tune than its predecessors for the market it was intended for-and we all know what that is.

Right, the african and australian outback, asian and SA jungles, NA highways, kinda the same as the 3FE. The 1fzfe is/was available in 70/80/100 series and on every continent.

The 3fe would be the engine of choice if you’re local gas station, where you fill up with your super gasoline and pick out your favorite drink, isn’t around. Hands down-the 3fe is otherwise bulletproof when speaking in comparisons-I’m not saying quickness- I am talking ease of “TRAIL” repair (not where you can hoof it to the nearest auto shop-middle of nowhere-no one around-repair), ability to run A LONG TIME on otherwise crappy gas in some pretty iffy countries, etc.

With no clear advantage in durability, I would rather have the greater power and other drive train bits of the FZJ80 if I had a choice. If I had a FJ80 I would be happy, fill it up and keep going, no problem.

BTW, have you ever owned anything but a 1fz/A330?????????
Owned everything from a v-twin, v-four, straight 4, v6, straight 6; 15 vehicles from a '66 to an '04, my favorite vehicle is my fzj80.

firetruck41 said:
but when it comes to off road the fzj80 really suffers

I don't want to beat the dead horse, and considering I DO own an FZJ80, I will say that if I were travelling through Mexico through Central America to SA, I would take a 3F-E in preference for a FI vehicle. That's not going to happen, and chances are slim for most of us here too, so kind of a ``moo point'' (``it's like a cow's opinion, it doesn't matter'' :)

Otherwise, I'm pretty damn happy with my 1FZ-FE both on & off road.

First off this motor is a DOG.

Uh, no duh. Just a little research would have yielded this info. Have you compared the weight of the 80 to the other rigs that have striaght 6s that you are comparing too?

Ride, I figured coils would be similar to the 1988 rover I had but not nearly as smooth. Maybye they are tired or the shocks are toast but not much better than a leaf sprung rig.

I can't really comment on this, my other rigs have either been leaf sprung or IFS. My 80 definitely rides nicer than any of the leaf sprung crusiers or pickups I've owned. Seems like you could have determined this from a test drive.

Parts are way way out of line. 400 plus for one birf. I could buy an entire loaded axle housing for that. on most other rigs.

Parts may be expensive but used parts are plentiful. Also maybe you haven't realized this given the wide array of previous s***boxes you listed but Toyota's are quite dependable. Maintenance costs are quite low not because new parts are cheap but because you don't need that many new parts.

I know you were just stating some your observed faults with cruisers but it sounds more like whining about what you thought you should get for $1500 and what you imagined the 80 series cruiser is. It's a truck, it's slow, it rides rough, and it will go forever. If you buy one that has been poorly maintained and is already broken it will cost you some money to fix it. If you don't shop around for a deal on parts that is a fault of yours. Best of luck and if you don't like it sell it.

:beer:

I see the problem now, you are misinformed about the 1FZ-FE.

NO man, I'm stating an opinion-as you are. But its just that-almost like an a******...

Yes, it is better on the highway, that does not mean it is less conducive to other uses.

Did I say it wasn't??????????????? Should we dig it up and beat it again?

I run 87 (it is the lowest octane available locally) with no pinging or knocking, 87 is recomended, as is probably the case for the 3FE, I have no doubt it could run fine with lower octane since I have never had pinging.

No "recommendation" - see point above.

Right, the african and australian outback, asian and SA jungles, NA highways, kinda the same as the 3FE. The 1fzfe is/was available in 70/80/100 series and on every continent.

Thanks for the trivia info...Doesn't change my point or facts at all

With no clear advantage in durability, I would rather have the greater power and other drive train bits of the FZJ80 if I had a choice. If I had a FJ80 I would be happy, fill it up and keep going, no problem.

I have never brought up "durability" at all, ever. Trail fix ease-maybe-would you argue that DOHC lover????? You't take the A330 over the A440F?

Owned everything from a v-twin, v-four, straight 4, v6, straight 6; 15 vehicles from a '66 to an '04, my favorite vehicle is my fzj80.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! I'm so proud-any of these Land Cruisers??? I can tell ya now the first two and fourth aren't and unless it was a diesel the third ain't either.

For the last time-we are conceding the point about the 1fz-can you agree to that?

Please do not spread misinformation, if you will look in your owners manual I have no doubt you will find a recommendation for minimum octane. A simple search on the board reveals Toyota recommended 87 for the 2f according to the owners manual, and also recommends 87 for the 1fz, so I have no doubt they recommend a certain minimum octane for th 3fe.

I am not sure why you are proud of my vehicle ownership or why you originally wanted to know if I have owned any other vehicles, but thank you! :D

Can of worms I see. Cruiser Ken read my posts bro. I know used vehicles I've owned 50 and restored several. Don't hide behind this is the best vehicle ever made with the best of every part ever made. Probably ranks at the top of the expedition type vehicles. High pinion front, durable, depandable, but I'm sure all these guys wouldn't be modifying the crap out of these if there were no need. So relax admit that some things could have been different and enjoy your rig like I do mine. Like I've said I'll make some changes but for the most part I like it how it is.

DJForrestA said:
Can of worms I see. Cruiser Ken read my posts bro. I know used vehicles I've owned 50 and restored several. Don't hide behind this is the best vehicle ever made with the best of every part ever made.

Read my posts bro, I didn't say best of every part made, I said very dependable. I don't want to go back on forth on this, hope you're enjoying the 80.

:cheers:

firetruck41 said:
Please do not spread misinformation, if you will look in your owners manual I have no doubt you will find a recommendation for minimum octane. A simple search on the board reveals Toyota recommended 87 for the 2f according to the owners manual, and also recommends 87 for the 1fz, so I have no doubt they recommend a certain minimum octane for th 3fe.

Sorry Firetruck41- I am so sorry, I did make a mistake-I have never seen a spec-but it in fact does have one-I double checked. I should not have said the gas rating w/o proof.

I am not sure why you are proud of my vehicle ownership or why you originally wanted to know if I have owned any other vehicles, but thank you! :D

Cause I wanted to know if you have driven other Land Cruisers. Land Cruisers being key in the "Land Cruiser" forum. I could care less what else you have driven-has no bearing, in my mind, on the thread. How could you say the 1fz is "the best" if you haven't driven the "fleet?" Only a q, to see where you were comming from.

And to DJForrestA-see? These guys get their panties in a wad pretty quick about the whole 1fz/3fe thing eh?

You can check out the 3fe group at groups.yahoo.com-lots more ideas there than just "Get a 1fz!" "What did you expect?", etc, etc, etc.

I guess I got taken into this bit a touch myself, my bad. This sounds like a country bar late on a Saturday night with only two trucks left in the parking lot....

I guess I'll give in to say - if you drive a Land Cruiser, you're alright in my book :D

Hope to see you there-I believe there is going to be a 3FE bash in Santa Fe, NM or maybe some where in TX early 2006 - I would really like to try to make it...hope you could too.

cruiser ken said:
Read my posts bro, I didn't say best of every part made, I said very dependable. I don't want to go back on forth on this, hope you're enjoying the 80.

:cheers:

I think we ought to put a knife into this thread-I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy anymore ;) -just :mad:

Lets all quit being :princess: :princess:

and drink some :beer: :beer: :cheers: !

Unless of course you are trying to save lives or something crazy like that-then its probably not the best idea.

firetruck41 said:
Just giving out the same BS that is given. I would like to hear more about the factory locked NA 40s.

Never said they were NA 40s.

Geez man, lay off.

OK,

Enuf.........................

End this bench race NOW please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom