Newer 80 owner. Feeling disapointed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj803fe said:
Yeah, most of the FZJers get their panties in a wad pretty quickly around here :flipoff2: ;) . They dog the 3fe in most every engine post-then I get a lick in and they run home to Momma with their face in their hands and find a good come-back to post.
Ummmm... yeah, that's wkat we do :rolleyes: But I am glad to see you have the FJ80 for offroad and the UZJ100 for when you need to go over a hill on the freeway, I've just got an FZJ80 and it will do both :flipoff2: :D

firetruck41 said:
Ummmm... yeah, that's wkat we do :rolleyes: But I am glad to see you have the FJ80 for offroad and the UZJ100 for when you need to go over a hill on the freeway, I've just got an FZJ80 and it will do both :flipoff2: :D

Married into that one buddy. My FJ goes everywhere I do. And it too does "both"

Nice battle on engines going on. I'll tell you all something that neither one of these is the best engine ever made. Lets be honest. One is uber expensive to maintain and when it goes it is a 6000 dollar bill and the other while cheaper to maintain is somewhat slow but more reliable. So don't be too closed minded. There are alot of engines out their that will spank these two in every catagory but they are what they are and good in their application.

There are a lot of engines out there, but not all will do everything correctly in every aplication. Some of the newer motors give ya a far more than a 6000 dollar bill, even when they arent blown. Especially some diesels.

I dont think anyone is saying the 3FE is the perfect motor. Im certainly not, just saying that it does fine as is. A little fine tuning and tweaking and its a damn good motor. And really, you cant say its that expensive to repair, because Ive had several trucks including domestics that were more expensive for parts. I guarantee doing an engine swap to one of those superior motors will cost far more than 6000 to do it proper. Thats not being edgy or anything about my truck, just the truth in a nice calm manor.

Like I said, if its not what you want Ill gladly pay you 1500 for it and you can buy whatever your heart desires. :D

The FJ80 and FZJ80 are both great rigs, but I wouldn't consider either as expensive to maintain, oil and filter are pretty cheap, and parts are about the same as any other mdern vehicle out there and you won't need many of those either. Yeah it would be expensive to replace or rebuild but other than the HG there isn't much that goes wrong with these engines, and even the HG is relatively rare to need R&R.

In the end, you see a lot of piece of crud beater sedans for sale at used car lots for $1,500, and none of them look as cool as the 80 series landcruiser, let alone have the potential to be rejuvenated into a really cool transport.

DJForrestA, I'm a little confused as to why you bought this truck. 1500.00 will buy you almost any 10 year old US POS on a lot. That way you'll have a better motor and axle and cheap parts. I'll give you 1500 for that FJ80 you have there.

I think a few people are misunderstanding me. I've made other posts about the merits of this truck. I've wanted one for awhile and I'm happy to have it. I was just pointing out some issues I'd found. Doesn't mean I don't want it. What else can wheel, is coil sprung and seats 8? Besides a defender 110. I'm not a cheerleader though and I'll point out things I think could be different or better. You're right a swap would be spendy but I've done one before and its cheaper if you do the whole drivetrain I've found. Another point is while other might be cheaper to replace or rebuild the durability and reliablity is one area that is hard to beat. So don't take me out of context. I definatly see room for improvement but by no means do I want to sell it. I'll make improvements along the way and enjoy driving it.

So to sum up I'm happy to own a cruiser, I'm happy to be in this community and I'm excited to get to work on this rig. I will however always speak my mind and not let brand, powerplant, or any other loyalty keep me from pointing out faults I see.

DJForrestA said:
So to sum up I'm happy to own a cruiser, I'm happy to be in this community and I'm excited to get to work on this rig. I will however always speak my mind and not let brand, powerplant, or any other loyalty keep me from pointing out faults I see.

When you find a fault let us know.

DJForrestA said:

They suck. Worthless pieces of crap. You better unload it to me quick before it explodes. :D

Were not jumping to conclusions. We just want it for ourselves. :flipoff2:

THanks fellas. I have to say that this is probably the best vehicle specific sight I've seen. I've been around the boards. In 11.5 years of marriage my wife and I have owned 45 different vehicles. two thirds have been 4x4's. I'm not a dealer just a motorhead. Land rovers, range rovers, nissans, jeeps, Fords, chevys, internationals, and everything inbetween. I'll keep you updated on the project.

DJForrestA said:
THanks fellas. I have to say that this is probably the best vehicle specific sight I've seen. I've been around the boards. In 11.5 years of marriage my wife and I have owned 45 different vehicles. two thirds have been 4x4's. I'm not a dealer just a motorhead. Land rovers, range rovers, nissans, jeeps, Fords, chevys, internationals, and everything inbetween. I'll keep you updated on the project.

Just keep in mind that you haven't owned a Land Cruiser until you've owned an FJ40.

After you get done with hunting season come up this way and we can go wheeling. You are only an hour a way. There are quite a few 80 owners in this general vicinity. Some are affiliated with clubs some are not. There are some good trails not too far from here that we can test your rig out on. Heck, give me a few weeks and I'll head down your way. Tomorrow I'm headed out with a MH club down south near Bruneau. We are pulling out of the Chevron at 9AM on Air Base Rd. I'm sure they would welcome you. I am not a member, probably will be soon. It is a multimake club. PM if you want my phone number.

honk said:
Just keep in mind that you haven't owned a Land Cruiser until you've owned an FJ40.
:rolleyes:

Actually, you haven't owned a cruiser until you've owned a factory fr/rr locked Cruiser. Oh, your 40 wasn't locked when it left ARACO? :flipoff2:

my bad

tarbe said:
If you find a '95 LX450 you better buy it. Bona fide collector's item :D

LOL..... your right Lexus did start making the lx untill 96 :doh: :mad:
:)

It's a Win win

Look we don't need to tell you this but Christo nailed it. If you are unhappy with it, dump it, you can easily get $1500 for it, then buy a 97 and put a turbo on it. Then you will have all the features you want and the power.

Our keep it give it some tlc and customize it from your needs. Either way its a win win situation for you right? Dude in my book if it runs and its got 4 wheel drive its worth 2 to 4,000.

anyway good luck.

OZCAL said:
Nah, just having fun and there's nothing funner than the devil's advocate :flipoff2:

David

And to add to that-I'm missunderstood. My bro has an fzj (And alls yous can dog me any time for this-I kinda like it :D), I have a 100, a BJ60, my Fj80-first truck I ever drove was a 78 FJ40, next truck was an 85 Solid w/ the 22re, next was my 80. Heck I drove home off the lot w/ my Dads 85 FJ60-before I could even drive.

My bro also has a 3fe40 and a 100-so we're kinda an LC family.

Really, I love LCs of all kinds, toyotas for that matter-FAST??? NO-none of them, save for maybe the 100-but then its not lightning either. To answer your first q here though-it might be interesting to see if I or any other 3fe 80 owner noticed a diff in your power. I am actually very impressed w/ my 3fe-hence the defence- Want fast? Drive a 3B/H55f w/o turbo-WHOAH snaps my head back ;)

but more than anything I am just the quintessential Devils advocate

:beer: :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom