New with no Clue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning All! I am new to the Toyota world. I have some Jeeps taking up space, but a friend needs a hand and he's got an 85 4x4 standard cab pickup. I was able to find a running 22r for him, but his G52 needs replacing too. They're impossible to find, but I have seen others for sale from different years. I've seen all the tables showing what came with what, but any transmission that bolted to a 22r would fit, wouldn't it? Would it just be a matter of altering sheet metal for a different t-case shifter?
His truck needs a lot of help, so you'll see me here often. Look forward to learning about these trucks. Thanks

Welcome to Mud. I can't help you directly but MarlinCrawler and it's forum are great for all things first gen powertrain. Someone will likely come along here more knowledgeable than me but you might want to check over at Marlin in the meantime.

I'm pretty sure any W56 will bolt right up. W56-C,D,E are also forward shift like the G52 as far as the transfer case goes. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows more

Last edited:
Welcome to Mud. I can't help you directly but MarlinCrawler and it's forum are great for all things first gen powertrain. Someone will likely come along here more knowledgeable than me but you might want to check over at Marlin in the meantime.
Thank you!
I have been to that forum but did not seem to fit in there with a street machine. That's also where I learned which years were outfitted with which units.

What Chris said. The W-series transmission should be more available and easier to source. If you get the tranny from a 1989-1995 truck it will have the forward shifter for the transfer case. According to Marlin's site the G52 and the W56 are the same length (25.5") so the W should bolt right up. The only major difference I see on Marlin's table is the reverse gear ratio on the G52 is much lower (4.713) than the W56 (4.091).

What Chris said. The W-series transmission should be more available and easier to source. If you get the tranny from a 1989-1995 truck it will have the forward shifter for the transfer case. According to Marlin's site the G52 and the W56 are the same length (25.5") so the W should bolt right up. The only major difference I see on Marlin's table is the reverse gear ratio on the G52 is much lower (4.713) than the W56 (4.091).
Thanks for that. I think I found a G52 about 3hr away. Says it's a good one.
On my Grand Wagoneer I could remove the radiator and support to remove the engine. Is that possible on the Toyota? Would be nice to extract and replace as one unit.

On my Grand Wagoneer I could remove the radiator and support to remove the engine. Is that possible on the Toyota? Would be nice to extract and replace as one unit.

I'm going on a limb here and say no. Of course the radiator will need to come out to remove the engine. I don't think there would be enough room to stab the tranny and engine together. Though, I guess anything is possible.

I'm going on a limb here and say no. Of course the radiator will need to come out to remove the engine. I don't think there would be enough room to stab the tranny and engine together. Though, I guess anything is possible.
Thanks Pappy. Is the front support on a Toyota bolted or welded? I can look tomorrow night, too,once I get there.

Will the gear drive tcase bolt up to a later w56 that originally came with a chain drive I wonder?

Pretty sure the W56 never came with a chain drive t-case but I’m too lazy to dig. I’d say no though. And the rad supports on minis are all welded. Cruisers on the other hand can be unbolted. Definitely makes it easier.

I want to say that on 4wd straight axle trucks, the whole combo can be pulled. But not IFS and I don't think there's enough ground clearance on 2wd's.
But I have definitely replaced a G series trans with a W56.

Pretty sure the W56 never came with a chain drive t-case but I’m too lazy to dig.
Gear drive TC behind the W56.

Well thanks for all the input. I am a day away from picking up a G52. Further away than I had hoped, but...The support definitely is welded. I marked all the welds lst night and will drill them out next. It is worth the effort, for me. If I can post photos here , I will.

So, all done with that. Took about 1.5hr. Hood stays on, fenders unbolted on top and free from fender well (there are 2 welds under the fender lip), and that's it. I used a 1/8 drill then a 3/16 and finally a 5/16. The 4 holding the bottom are easier to reach from inside the fender well, especially the driver's side, as the steering box blocks them.

20201008_105511.jpg

20201008_100023.jpg

20201008_090952.jpg

20201008_085737.jpg

I just got done pulling a 22re myself and I must say I’ve never seen it done the way you just did. Am I missing something? Did you completely remove the rad support just to avoid having to drop the trans separately??? It’s really not hard at all to pull the 22re first then drop the trans second and reinstall in reverse order. I have done this countless times with ease.

Short answer: The owner, my neighbor, asked me to.
I believe he saw me working on the Wagoneer in that way and he wants to sell the motor and transmission "as removed". Made sense to me and I actually like it like that.

Hello again. I just got the transmission in but I noticed the bag of parts given to me did not include the clutch fork or bootie.
What all is needed? The fork, throwout bearing and boot?
After getting the stick installed, I thought I would be able to shift through the gears, but can't. Should I be able to?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom