New windshield pros and cons (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Additional information for those considering the Lexus Oem glass

Lexus Longo in El Monte, CA has the rain sensing windshield #56111-60511 for $493 + tax; Monster discount parts has the Lexus oem glass for $474 no upfront tax. The issue of course is shipping and monster charges $350 in shipping. I can pick up from Longo Lexus.

Lexus oem rain sensor tape #89944-50010 is $20 plus tax at Longo Lexus and $18 at DiscountPartsMonster.com

A local shop quoted me $890 for Lexus oem glass, Lexus rain sensor pad, adehisve, tax, and labor. He seemed willing to give me a 10% discount since his quote had $694 msrp for glass and I showed him the online prices.

Labor varies from $50 to $75 from what I can tell. Adhesive includes the sealant and rubber they use to install and that’s about $20.

The last thing my insurance agent said was to replace it how I want, pay upfront, and send in the receipts to him for review. If receipts were reasonable and approved, they would send me a check for the approved amount minus my $500 deductible.

By the way, in Los Angeles, there are hundreds of windshield replacement shops. I was surprised how many shops there were and how inexpensive they are for their labor rates.

Since I have time to spare, it’s better to go into their shop and talk to them. You can even watch them repair someone else’s windshield and see if it meets your standards. Most of them do insurance work.

Last edited:
I did the comprehensive road hazard and I get OEM glass and dealer service for $100. Well worth the small premium bump.

Yeah oem windshield replacement is something new that insurance companies are now offering for an extra premium. That’s something to consider.

I just checked my 2008 Lexus LS460 that I bought used in 2013 and it has an aftermarket XYG glass which is supposed to be horrible! Arghhh. A rock hit it and it cracked a couple a years ago, but the repair worked.

I’d better look into oem glass replacement insurance on both.

Got the Chinese-made Fuyao windshield installed. When I got there with the gx470, the installer noticed that the new windshield was delivered with a crack, so they ordered another one which arrived in an hour.

These guys are good windshield installers. The did a 2017 Prius in 20 minutes, a 2017 Chevy Camaro in less than 30 minutes, and a customer drove up on an old beat up Volvo whose window was leaking and fixed him in 10 minutes. 3 guys working the shop. The owner, the son, and a guy whose been installing windshields for 22 years.

The old guy (my age by the way) was telling me stories of how they go to all the dealers around the area including Longo Lexus to install windshields for them. He says the dealers outsource the work to the independent shops.

He told me he likes to take his time and do it right, but the boss is always pushing to do it fast because they have so many customers. He says he ignores the boss because he doesn’t want customers returning on his account and he takes pride in his work.

Anyways, I’m sure I’ll report back if I have any issues.

I wonder if these windshield shops would also replace side window seals if I brought them with me ?

Some windshield places do all car windows, so try them out. The shop that I went to was doing only front windshields when I was there.

The owners son mentioned something that was interesting. He said he doesn’t recommend factory oem glass because it’s no longer made as good as it used to. He said oem glass cracks just as easy. He said look at all these new cars that are in here. All cracked oem windshields way worse than my 2003 windshield.

Anyways, it was an interesting comment. If my new windshield hadn’t shown up cracked, I would have been in and out in 30 minutes max and I wouldn’t have talked to them so long.

The glass was like $80, Lexus rain pad was $20, and labor was $80. Tax was $9 and I gave the old school guy a $10 tip.

We’ll see how it turns out. It seems that windshields are really throw away items now a days. Sad but that’s the new reality.

JFYI, my PGW windshield didn't last very long (<4 years), so I now too have the Fuyao glass. The PGW cracked in lower left corner, no impact or anything.

PO had an aftermarket windshield installed on our GX - husband goes and washes it for the first time - the leak from the windshield install fried a connector to the ECU :bang:

59CC7447-B30C-443C-BCDF-3ED9E796CE14.jpeg

Holy crap. I tested mine at car wash and no leaks. If I knew this could happen, I would have taped some areas. Where is this connector located?

I've had an aftermarket PPG windshield in mine for years, no issues. Alot of the issues come down to installation, if it's done poorly you're going to have issues no matter what brand of windshield you use

Holy crap. I tested mine at car wash and no leaks. If I knew this could happen, I would have taped some areas. Where is this connector located?

at the ECU

I've had an aftermarket PPG windshield in mine for years, no issues. Alot of the issues come down to installation, if it's done poorly you're going to have issues no matter what brand of windshield you use

indeed

Update on my FYO windshield replacement. The windshield is holding up fine. I was getting a draft of air coming in from the windshield that I could hear and feel at freeway speeds 65 mph or so.

I finally got a chance to take it back to the windshield shop that installed it close to 4 months ago. The guys at the shop remembered me. They ran a high pressure air test on the side of the windshield where I could feel the draft and the test was negative (no leaks). They ran the test under the windshield and found a small gap. They sealed it with windshield glue. No charge. All covered under their warranty.

I think there is a Lexus dealer that discounts for the forum guys. Maybe purchase a OEM replacement and have it installed?

I am going to chime with my thoughts, 1 you know a large glass replacement company would not sell non DOT approved glass or glass that was doing to let average road debris through, think of the lawsuits. 2 $0 glass replacement would have added $30 to my monthly premiums I could replace my glass yearly with aftermarket at that rate (not that that sounds like a good idea) or put in oem every 2 years...

Would somebody who got the Fuyao windshield please post whether it is labeled with both "solartint" and "acoustic" in the bottom corner? And the part number too if possible. I got one installed today, part FW2366, but it is not labeled "acoustic". Curious to see if it is the same part others are getting.

Mine is also only solar tint and not acoustic FW2366

Great thread. Something to always keep in back of your mind I guess.

I remember when researching the 100 series prior to buying my GX that one of the differences mentioned between the LC and the LX was the LX windshields were thicker to provide more sound proofing.

Anyone know if that had a GX equivalent and if that is a measurable difference between the OEM and any of the aftermarkets?

@HomersCanyonero What shop did you use? I have a Lexus windshield that needs to be replaced but dealer wants $1200. I live about 20 miles from Los Angeles and looking for a reputable and reliable windshield shop. I’ve looked up shops around LA online but none with a solid reputation. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom