New vendor "Bowfin Cruisers" and new 80 series roof rack option (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

(I'm lazy and didn't read through this whole thread...sorry if it has already been asked.)
What is the effect this rack has on MPG? I like the design. Just curious because it looks pretty low-profile and sleek.

I wish I knew definitively but I am not a mileage checker, probably because I don't like to be reminded that it is likely 12mpg. I doubt it is much of a change because of the front deflector. There is pretty much zero wind noise and no rattles. That said, the front profile did just go up about 4" from the front of the truck so that has to hurt a little.

First of all, Pat's service & product is awesome! +1 for his roof rack

If anyone is curious, I can confirm that the Prinsu awning mount fits the Bowfin roof rack. Link for reference:
http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/product-page/awning-mounting-bracket
I have literally put the carriage bolts through the factory slots in my prinsu. No brackets needed, at all. Arb 2500. Now, my bolts are not long enough and i could use a 1/4” spacer to be perfect, but thats less than 10 bucks in hardware at an ace or online.

i am right around 12 on hwy or 10-11 city....same as before the rack installed, and wind noise is very minimal, very nice design and well engineered!!

i am right around 12 on hwy or 10-11 city....same as before the rack installed, and wind noise is very minimal, very nice design and well engineered!!

Thanks! Good to hear.

Is that a vintage GTV in your avatar? Looks sweet.

I was thinking about adding one of these as an accessory to the back of the racks to improve mileage, but probably not gonna work out!

:)

turbo prop.jpg

I have literally put the carriage bolts through the factory slots in my prinsu. No brackets needed, at all. Arb 2500. Now, my bolts are not long enough and i could use a 1/4” spacer to be perfect, but thats less than 10 bucks in hardware at an ace or online.

I'm always good when someone finds and affordable way to do a mod. Just for reference, I do have awning brackets for my racks. There are 2 brackets plus hardware and they are $60 shipped in the conus. PM if you want them until they are on the site.

No, i am a Mazda fan even though i have a Toyota. =)
It is a 73 Mazda RX-3 w/ a 13B motor and 5 sp from a FC Rx-7
20130227_075434.jpg

Nice! probably a better choice anyway.

I've always wanted to get back into a vintage road race car. Had a 65 GT350R clone for a long time that was pretty fun.

Are the bowfin latches compatible with the Prinsu?
Edit: After looking at the Prinsu latches, no.

Last edited:
What is the width of the cross members and the wind deflector?

What is the width of the cross members and the wind deflector?
The cross bars and deflector for the 100 series and 80 series is 51". The 60 cross bars and deflector are 53"

okay boys, I've been waiting to see you new Bowfin owners post up but finally have to ask ... has anybody actually strapped / clipped / ratcheted / clamped anything up on top of their rack yet? I'm talking boats / kayaks / canoes, bags, shovels, axes, propane tanks, cargo boxes, water cans, gas cans, sofas, lazy boys etc. Anything OTHER than a roof top tent? Post your pictures!

I am still getting same mileage as before high 14s with or without cargo on top. I have put my tent which is not a roof top tent, two chairs, sleeping bags, clothes bags all up top basically all my camping junk. Works real good and I strap it all down with a truck bed net , has worked great, had another person tell me they were gonna give me there old roof rack and got tired of waiting and figured out it wasn’t gonna happen, so contacted Pat and got bowfin rack one of best mods I have done. Great rack great price looks good easy to build. No extra wind noise in fact I think with sunroof open it is quieter

overloaded_truck.jpg

Just kidding.

@EasternYeti put a lot of gear on his 60 rack at SAS2 but I never got a picture other than the trails when it was all off of there.

I'll look for some

I have a set of solar panels that fit between cross bars for sale. If someone is interested. Allows you to still use the full rack.

Here is Dan @fj80toyman 's rig if you haven't seen it. Not a ton up there but lots of small stuff.
Bowfin rack at 16:44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom