New vendor "Bowfin Cruisers" and new 80 series roof rack option (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@FIVEmanTR10 , I have had that questuon several times about the factory rack. It's been so long since I took mine off I can't remember if they are M6 or M8 either. I think a rack hole plug kit should be happening. I have a bunch of stuff to get on the website and I will likely add a kit with good sealant as well. Makes sense and should be inexpensive.

or you could do like me, and accidentally rip it off, leaving holes in the roof

remove the stock rack, take the existing bolt ( 8 ) total and go to the hardware store to match. You will need shorter bolts and want to go stainless anyways. That is if your existing nutserts are still in good shape. Mine was an AZ car, no rust, and 2 out of 8 were spinning freely, I ended up using a rivet gun to tighten up the loose rivet and reuse, beats drilling them out.

The light bar looks at first like it is too far back with the mounts it comes with but it will shade glare off of your hood.

I have plans moving for a tent kit for the rack. Ordered a reacement tent kit for a westfalia for starters. I have a guy that can make the fabric fit what I have for a pop top. I hope to camp in it right away and get ideas in real life as this moves along. My super fab buddy and I brainstormed on how to integrate this into an existing rack. Prototypes will be along soon. Honestly, it will be kind of crude at first, but I think sharing information as it goes along will be best.

Who did you order the tent from? Gowesty.com? They have tons of stuff for the westfalias

I tried them, they look pretty good but unfortunately the were out of stock on replacement tents. I got one from Bus Depot. Inexpensive and looks good for a test mule.

Super interested in the pop top idea! Are you thinking aluminum roof or what?

I think my first prototype will be aluminum, but I do have a potential source in the works for making a core out of aluminum honeycomb sheet, then making the side out of formed aluminum. It will depend on how it comes together with cost and strength.

Just got the tent for a vw today so now I can build the upper and lower parts. I think with some luck they will integrate into an existing Bowfin roof rack.

I think my first prototype will be aluminum, but I do have a potential source in the works for making a core out of aluminum honeycomb sheet, then making the side out of formed aluminum. It will depend on how it comes together with cost and strength.
This is awesome. I am following this closely. I have envied after the Campteq one for years. From what I understand they stopped making them due to demand. Everyone wanted one when they took a poll on interest but virtually no one bought one once brought to market. I personally feel the reason no one bought was two fold: price and demand.

What I mean by that is, it was pretty fricken exspensive so I think there was some major sticker shock. I often wondered what the difference would be if there was a “DIY kit” to the best extent possible. Would buyer assembly lower the cost much? Obviously shipping a Campteq would be very pricey, but the idea of a flat pack relatively light weight rack like yours would really cut down on that. That combined with an “assembly required” pop top.... I have often wondered if that would have helped to have lowered the price and keep the campteq viable.

Also, while 80s have been around a long time now, they have just recently in the last few years become much more affordable. They entry price for owning an 80 is no where near what it was even 5 years ago. So possibly more demand might be there than before; at least here in the US. Although, while I would pay for a pop top 80 that I don’t have cut my rig open with, a high price might be the major factor in preventing people from buying an accessory that could cost more than what they originally paid for their truck.

This is awesome. I am following this closely. I have envied after the Campteq one for years. From what I understand they stopped making them due to demand. Everyone wanted one when they took a poll on interest but virtually no one bought one once brought to market. I personally feel the reason no one bought was two fold: price and demand.

What I mean by that is, it was pretty fricken exspensive so I think there was some major sticker shock. I often wondered what the difference would be if there was a “DIY kit” to the best extent possible. Would buyer assembly lower the cost much? Obviously shipping a Campteq would be very pricey, but the idea of a flat pack relatively light weight rack like yours would really cut down on that. That combined with an “assembly required” pop top.... I have often wondered if that would have helped to have lowered the price and keep the campteq viable.

Also, while 80s have been around a long time now, they have just recently in the last few years become much more affordable. They entry price for owning an 80 is no where near what it was even 5 years ago. So possibly more demand might be there than before; at least here in the US. Although, while I would pay for a pop top 80 that I don’t have cut my rig open with, a high price might be the major factor in preventing people from buying an accessory that could cost more than what they originally paid for their truck.

I'm totally after a lower cost approach to the tent. I have no idea how fast the cost will pile up, but I am definitely going for a pretty simple but effective camping option.

(I'm lazy and didn't read through this whole thread...sorry if it has already been asked.)
What is the effect this rack has on MPG? I like the design. Just curious because it looks pretty low-profile and sleek.

Last edited:
5A0CA95E-983F-49E0-8428-C1D857C1DF10.jpeg
4B16D01E-DBF5-4797-B2A8-75D70D6B0AB1.jpeg
A7C478BA-8968-471D-A64C-D69A1F75BF18.jpeg
5897D301-3968-4940-8BEE-04DBDBDBF773.jpeg
Got my light bar installed and looks great... “amazon 41” single row special” light but one day maybe a Baja or??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom