New Thule Trailer (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thule Trailers

Here is my new Thule Trailer... just picked-up on Friday. Will use for camping and runs to Home Depot, etc. That plastic lid comes off. Tail-gate drops down. Not the most rugged trailer... but certainly not planning any off-road trips with it.

Quality looks great... it's light weight. Says it can haul 1,200 pounds... but I don't think I will that much.

Your Thule is exactly the same as mine, I purchased it from Cabela's in Nebraska, and the ad in the catalog said, "Some assembly needed." You got that right, it came on a pallet with only the main box intact. Everything else that you see, lights, signals, top, axle, wheels w/tires, and frame had to be put together. The ad also said that it was water-tight, Nope! I had to waterproof mine with threadlock on every nut, bolt, nook and cranny, also used a material called "Lexan" to glue/caulk every hole, every crack and cranny. Came away with a 99.99% waterproof trailer. Now I have to sell it due to some unexpected bills, we used it only twice with great results. Hauled in across the high passes of Colorado and part of Utah, never had an issue. You are right though, it will only carry 800lbs of whatever (you'll find the weight restrictions on the inside of the trailer frame), but that's also a lot of stuff. All of the camping gear for 1 male, and 3 females including two labs! Love the trailer. I hope you keep yours, as I have not seen but one other one in the Colorado Front Range in 3 years. Happy Hauling!

Thule Trailer or Spacetrailer

I happen to be looking for a Thule Trailer here in Minnesota and came across an outfit that is based here in the Twin Cities that is making a trailer that takes the best parts of a Thule Trailer and added some upgades to make it better. They reinforced the top with a metal frame to give it more stability, they upgraded the weak floor with a sturdier version, the tires are standard size for easier replacement. They have also added some options that give it more flexibility. Such as an adjustable external frame that allows you to mount kayaks, bikes or canoes ontop of the trailers frame. I dropped in today and talked to one of the owners and he gave me the chance to look at one close up. It's an impressive unit and they are looking for feedback as they look at improving it for future versions. He talked about building one with higher sides to create more internal space, a possible tent application and more. I see from their website that they have a outlet in Colorado that is selling them as well. I intend to rent one in a few weeks and use it for a few days and test to see if it is as impressive as it looks.

Not sure why I was never notified of these new links but I'm just checking in. Love all the pics. How can I upload more pictures? I can show mine with my upgrades. Also just blew out my rear seals so I'm looking for those and think one of the other guys on here found a dealer in WI. I'll post when I get the info. If someone could please tell me how to post more pics I would appreciate it.

Btw, after upgrading my floor, I've had no problem hauling 2000 lbs of mulch in mine. Thanks.

Updated my signature. Just found an old message in here from June. Sorry about that. Hopefully my full info will show up now. Email me directly please with Thuke somewhere in the subject if you want me to send pics or info on my upgrades. Thx.

pretty cool lil trailer

20100611-DoorCounty2010021.jpg
Thank you to the guy that told me I could somehow link photos to my Facebook page and not have to upload them here. This is my attempt (I foolishly deleted that email).

Sorry guys, I'm having a really tough time getting all of this to load properly. I am using Photobucket and had to resize the pictures 5 different times so that they didn't take up the entire screen. So bear with me. And I don't know how to get text by the pictures. I don't know why this has to be so challenging?
20100611-DoorCounty2010020.jpg

I have since added reverse lights to these as well. When I have time, I'll take better shots of the rack supports I had welded and what they look like underneath. Also added BFG Goodrich tires on 14" OEM rims. Have a spare tire up underneath.
20100611-DoorCounty2010019.jpg

This one I upgraded to heavier duty Duro trailer tires (on 13" oem rims). Also added the rack holders to the OEM ladder rack. Front box was from Homie Depot.
090316-ThuleLoaded011.jpg

This is my spare tire up under the 1205. OEM tire and wheel (the donut). I had a plate welded to the nut so that it doesn't spin, and the bolt head is up in the bed. Like a spare tire on the back of an SUV, I can drop the spare onto the ground without having to get up underneath the trailer. Yes, if the bed is full, I have to unload it, but I thought that that was easier than laying in the mud on the side of the highway some night!
110517-Thule1700-axleinfo2.jpg

I replaced the entire floor of my trailer in diamond plate aluminum. The weight of my ATV was making the floor bow and it would eventually fail. Also drilled out every single rivet and replaced it all with cap head stainless 1/4" bolts and lock nuts. The trailer is probably 500% stiffer and more durable now. Have hauled a yard of topsoil in it without a problem (2000 lbs).
110517-Thule1700-axleinfo3.jpg

I bought the OEM 5 mm spacers for the OEM wheels. They were like $10. With them, and 195/75R14 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires, there is less than 5 mm of space between the sidewall of the tire and the edge of the trailer (but no rubbing as the sidewalls of these tires have almost zero flex). I also had to "lift" my fenders about 4" each to clear the tires. These were the smallest all terrain tires I could find in a 14" wheel. They were $125 each at Tire Rack. They weigh at least double what the 13" tires weighed (probably more than double). MY trailer, with upgrades, weighs 550 empty (I had it weighed at the mulch place). But, it also doesn't bounce around like a jack like it used to. I pulled it at 80 mph for 600 miles staight fully loaded (the bike pictures above) behind my wife's MDX and it was perfect. I would suspect it was at 1500 lbs fully loaded (a week worth's of vacation gear, including 5 cases of beer).
110517-Thule1700-axleinfo.jpg

That's it for pics until it stops raining here and I can get some of the rack mounts and the bed. I'll also take a couple of the reverse lights. I need rear seals for the hubs right now, and there are four of us that have been emailing with the US contact for replacement parts. Once that deal is done (they actually have replacement hubs that have maintenance-free bearings that I'm going to upgrade too), I'll post all of the contact info here. If you have any particular questions, please email me directly using the below. Thanks.

Bob, I like it. The KO tires are definitely cool. Looks like a tight fit, as you said. The front tool box is a nice add-on, along with the spare tire mount.

Did you add the red/white reflective tape to the sides of the trailer?

Where did you get the upgraded tires for the 13" rims?

The blue cover, where did you find that?

Thanks for posting the pics.

Yes, I added the reflective stickers. Those are DOT 3M conspicuity tape. Wouldn't own a trailer without that stuff wrapped all around it! To modern HID headlights, that stuff reflects like laser beams (eBay). The 14" wheels came from Brenderup from Chris Barr out of Texas, the guy who is MIA. I couldnt find a 13" AT tire so i had to upgrade to get nicer tires. This new Andras should be able to get you those. The tires came from The Tire Rack, which was the only place I could find that could get that size, which is the smallest true AT I could find. The blue tarp is OEM and came from Thule originally. Fits like a glove and keeps all water out. If Andras can get oem parts, he should be able to get you one of those. He is supposed to email me this week and then I'll post his info. Thx.

Well I did a shoddy job of posting that link above but that Flickr link is to pictures of many Brenderups and some Westfalia trailers. Some good ideas in there depending on your needs.

Thanks Bob for the pictures! That top rack is going to be redesigned and duplicated by my trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom