New tailgate cover for the 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TrekboxX

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hey guys. I'm working with the 100 series crew to do a run of tailgate covers. Since I'm also in the process of doing a drawer system for the 80, I figured we might as well do gate covers at the same time. Here is the original thread:

Gauging interest in a new tailgate cover

Here is the latest:
Ok, we're getting things narrowed down. We're looking a $200 for LINE-X coated Baltic Birch in black, tan, or gray, other colors will be a $35 upcharge. $240 will get you a Richlite surface. We'd need 6 buyers per color. Color is up to you guys, but I'd recommend looking at the R50 (what I use now for my cutting boards), Slate, or Black Diamond. More info can be found at their website here:
heritage - Richlite
and
northwest - Richlite

The third and most expensive option ($260) is a hard plastic CNC cut backing plate with Gatorstep foam decking on top. We'd need enough people and a consensus on colors or we can't get these prices. You can see the color choices here:
GatorStep - Marine Non Skid - OEM Solutions for Boating, Aircraft & RV

All of these options will be direct bolt-on. Please PM me or add to thread with your material preference and first and second color choice. Also, embellishments such as drip grooves, cupholder recesses, etc., can all be done, but again we need a consensus. Please indicate what you preference would be and whether you'd be ok with just a flat surface (my preference for ease of cleaning).

These prices can go down if we get a large number of buyers for one of the options. I'll do everything I can to get you guys the best price.

COLORS: Below are some photos that show LINE-X in tan, gray and black, as well as Richlite in Grays Harbor, Slate, Black Diamond, and R50. The Slate and Black Diamond look absolutely identical. They are a very dark gray/black. The Grays Harbor is a touch lighter but seems to have a tiny more warmth to it. I personally would do R50 or Black with a tan or gray interior.

Edit #367: I am concerned about the durability of the Gatorstep. It was easily damaged by dragging a key across it (firmly). More info to come, but for now I'm adding pics of the colors below(maxed for this post). I think the Almond looks best with tan interiors and Shark Fin for gray interiors.

Running tally of first choice picks:

Here are some pics of a LINE-X cover in black and an example of R50 Richlite:

Tailgate cover 1.jpg

Tailgate cover 2.jpg

DSC06830.jpg

I know on 80's the gates, tend to get bent, and a lot of guy's are just going with .250" Aluminum 6061, to add a bit of stiffness to the stock, tailgate, I am doing mine like this. I don't know how the 100 series gates are, it does look nice

I know on 80's the gates, tend to get bent, and a lot of guy's are just going with .250" Aluminum 6061, to add a bit of stiffness to the stock, tailgate, I am doing mine like this. I don't know how the 100 series gates are, it does look nice
I noticed that on the donor I have. If your gate is still in decent shape or you can straighten it, these covers should help immensely.

I noticed that on the donor I have. If your gate is still in decent shape or you can straighten it, these covers should help immensely.

I know this, and I will put an aluminum plate on mine, I have already put the nutserts, in the tailgate just have not yet made the plate

I think the better material will be UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) It would be nice to have it on a color different than white.

I think the better material will be UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) It would be nice to have it on a color different than white.
We can do that, but we need a consensus from a bunch of guys. I disagree about UHMW, but it's your choice. And that stuff is really $$$. Get a group of guys, and you shall have it.

It seems in general there is little interest from the 80 crowd. I'll be wrapping this up in the next week or so, so if you guys have interest tell your buddies! I won't bother patterning/prototyping the 80 unless we have a decent group.

For me, if I'm going to replace the pad I'm going to install a lid and use it for storage. The extra storage is the thing all the popular kids are doing these days. Hinge it and latch it and you might have a product.

For me, if I'm going to replace the pad I'm going to install a lid and use it for storage. The extra storage is the thing all the popular kids are doing these days. Hinge it and latch it and you might have a product.
Trail Tailor is already doing that, and looks like pretty well. This is for those that don't want an 80 lb tailgate.

Trail Tailor is already doing that, and looks like pretty well. This is for those that don't want an 80 lb tailgate.

Pffft. Who doesn't want an 80 lb. tailgate??

I'm not knocking them, I think they're pretty awesome. But I have had guys who have them complain about the weight, especially for the wifey.

I just think they are loading them with the wrong stuff. It's cool to have an out of the way for that 20' recovery chain, but really? The tailgate should not be it. I've got my list of items to stock in there when the time comes. It will be heavier, for sure, but not too bad I think. Besides, the wifey can always use a work out.

As for the covers, my tailgate got bent on my 95. I'm not sure how, maybe my daughter had a dance party on it, or somebody jumped from the roof of the truck on to it. My kids always treated it at as a jungle Gym. If I was just doing a cover I would want something that contributed to the strength.

Nope, never mind. I would absolutely want a pop up propane stove in there. Forget it. ;) Good luck though! Don't give up on new ideas!

My favorite is when I see cooktops inches away from Jerry cans and Rotopax....

J

I honestly thought I was a near fatalist as often as you see this & nobody has burned down an 80 (or Jeeps, Scouts, Broncos, Blazers). At least that I know.

I always run a biolite stove & either have it at worst down by a tire (if you call 18" close) -for windblock if I can't find a spot away from the vehicle.

Thanks for saying it, I really thought I was the only one. Glad to know that's one less place I'm crazy. 1 down, 3.4 million to go.

Gas is only scary when it's on fire. Avoid that and you're good.

Or if it gets in your eyes. That's bad too.

Gas is only scary when it's on fire. Avoid that and you're good.

Or if it gets in your eyes. That's bad too.

I was an operator in a refinery - the vapor you don't see is more scary than anything.
And that background was the reason I saw tailgate cooking as a 'begging for it' behavior.
I never caught the refinery on fire, and I like my 80 more than that place.

My favorite is when I see cooktops inches away from Jerry cans and Rotopax....

J
Yup, exactly why I designed my Aux Work station so the stove is indexed on some pins and can be just lifted right off. My response to people asking for a stove in the drawer like AT does. I won't do it. Neat doesn't equal prudent.

I'm glad I could SPARK a conversation. I was joking in the post about it being on fire.

I do however place my 2 burner stove on the tailgate for convenience. Toyota actually built a camp version of the 80 with a pull out stove. RV's have full on kitchens right over the gas tank. To be honest, I don't think it's an issue in a properly functioning vehicle. Add external fuel storage and I believe you up the risk. If you smell fuel don't light a match. Avoid sparks. Be safe.

Do you think it's unsafe to have a shielded Coleman style 2 burner propane stove on the tailgate? They're designed for the most common moron to NOT burn things down with them. Stuff happens, I guess if you don't have fire anywhere near it there's no chance it could ignite. I certainly wouldn't use a back packing stove or one with the flame completely exposed.

(officially hi-jacked, I think. Sorry.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom