New Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

U have a mini me. Get super kupe to help

Progress slowed considerably due to the holidays. Spent yesterday doing prep work on the hard top ahead of the headliner installation. Went with Specter's headliner which is much thicker than I thought it would be. After some research here I'm going to use 3M's 90 spray adhesive. That's planned for this morning.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452434718.533454.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452434730.461598.jpg

Received the correct front door weather stripping from Specter last week so planning to get the doors finished up and installed as well. Now is when I really wish I had insulated and heated the garage...good thing I have a heated shop at work.

Sent from my iPad

Headliner installed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452482110.801137.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452482123.738082.jpg

Purchased an aftermarket hardtop gasket from CityRacer. Awesome quality and fit perfectly.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452482583.597241.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452482610.238405.jpg

Spent the afternoon bolting the hardtop to the sides. Yes, it sucks. Front doors are on and reasonably adjusted. With the new seals everything closes tough but tight.

Sent from my iPad

So added a little work and $$ to the project. Even with the add a leafs in the rear spring packs the rig sat really low in the back and leaned hard to the driver side. Yes, even without me in it. After a little explaining of the limited options we decided that we've gone this far, what's another big chunk of cash? Got in touch with Kurt and Bryce at Cruiser Outfitters and they sent me a late BD present.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453518872.939388.jpg

I'm planning to make a set of stock-length shackles and hopefully get them installed this weekend.

Sent from my iPad

Spent the afternoon installing OME-Dakar springs. 3 of the 4 are done. Unfortunately UPS broke a keeper by completely shearing it off the rivet. All I can say is Dayumn! Cruiser Outfitters has a replacement in route so hopefully will have the last spring on this week. I'll post final numbers, but so far the front stayed nearly the same height. The rear came up almost 2" and everything is leveling out.

Took it out on the highway for a few miles and so far so good. A little bit of a rumble around from 25-35 MPH, but nothing horrible. I'm planning to spend some time on the wiper motor to see where the trouble lies. Kelly was kind enough to loan me his spare so we'll see if it is a wiring issue or a motor issue.

Time to surrender, or at least back away from the wiper motor wiring issue. Discovered that I have a dead short when it is plugged in, so my wiring harness has an issue somewhere and most likely due to my handiwork. Also figured out that the turn signals and wiper motor are on the same circuit, but that isn't what the wiring diagrams show. Hmmm.

you got a wire crossed then.. cut and grounded somewhere.. and you all wonder why i have 100+ hours in my wiring harness..

The motor and the wiper pivots turn freely, everything is clean and I added another wiper motor to chassis ground to get past the windshield hinges. So I concur it is somewhere in the wiring. I'm wondering if one or more of the wires I installed from the harness to Coolerman's new plug are switched. Going to be a complete PITA snaking wires with the windshield up. Volunteers?

Use a pull string when you pull the old ones out, then pull the new ones in with it?

Received the replacement spring today and installed it tonight. Here are the before and after numbers:

Driver side front - 20 1/8 to 20 7/16
Passenger front - 21 3/4 to 20 3/4
Driver rear - 23 to 24 (this was the weakest point)
Passenger rear - 23 3/4 to 24

Not bad, not bad at all.

Received the replacement spring today and installed it tonight. Here are the before and after numbers:

Driver side front - 20 1/8 to 20 7/16
Passenger front - 21 3/4 to 20 3/4
Driver rear - 23 to 24 (this was the weakest point)
Passenger rear - 23 3/4 to 24

Not bad, not bad at all.

Those numbers look nice! We'll be in touch tomorrow on the clip liners. Thanks again!

Nice job. That looks fantastic.

The motor and the wiper pivots turn freely, everything is clean and I added another wiper motor to chassis ground to get past the windshield hinges. So I concur it is somewhere in the wiring. I'm wondering if one or more of the wires I installed from the harness to Coolerman's new plug are switched. Going to be a complete PITA snaking wires with the windshield up. Volunteers?

Ok. The windshield wiper motor is now functioning. There were more WTF's uttered than I care to admit. Here's how it played out:
  1. Started at the connector from the harness to the switch. Found 2 wires were switched at the connector so LW connected to LR and LR connected to LW. Swapped the wires.
  2. Moved further down the harness and found one wire at the bullet connectors near the glove box had come loose. I'm guessing it was grounded against the body and was resulting in a blown fuse any time I tried to start the wipers.
  3. Following Coolerman's instructions I swapped wires around across the connector just before the motor. LW to LB and LB to LW. Doesn't make sense, but that's what the schematic showed.
  4. After checking continuity from the connector to the motor I discovered my L wire (constant 12V) had a weak splice so that was cleaned up.
Connected everything up, held my breath, and the motor turned.

Praise the lord.... Oh, thank you 7 pound 8 ounce baby Jesus!

Got stir crazy yesterday and went on a little shakedown cruise. Drove up and back to Erik C.'s on a combination of paved back roads, highways, and interstate. New speedometer cable broke about 50 miles in. Have some drive-line vibration that I need to work on. There's noticeable play in the driveline itself which I believe is contained in the rear pumpkin - might be time for a rebuild. Had her going down the interstate at 65-70 with no problems, no wandering, no play in the steering. Pretty happy with the 270 mile trip yesterday.

Called CCoT this morning and a replacement speedometer cable is on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom