Builds New project - 12H-T turbo diesel transplant into my 1991 FJ80. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't forsee towing anything too heavy...mostly just the family and fishing/camping gear and the 14' jon boat behind the truck. :beer:

What, your gonna tow the family or the fishing gear? :flipoff2:

Sorry I could not stick around for splitting the transmission and measuring things. Sick :princess: + soccer tournament = no play time.

I have a naive question. Does the 12H-T use an ECU? If so, that must be 24v. How are you going to make that work with your 12v conversion? I guess the more general question is what electrical control/sensor/indicator/wiring issues do you have to deal with when doing this conversion?

The 12HT is mechanically controlled and there is no ECU junk to deal with. :)

For the 24-12V conversion, I have converted my starter to 12V, the alternator is being converted to 12V, my AC stator coil will be changed over to 12V, and I'll need to scavenge at least one of my 12V vacuum switching valves in the 3FE to use on the 12HT.

What's an ECU? :hmm:
Just kidding.. If the Toyota engine ends in E (1HD-FTE, 1KZ-TE, 2LT-E etc) there is an ECU.
No E= No ECU
I'll let Stone comment on the rest of the electrical detail

So, did the 3FE up there come with an A442? All of ours got the A440 hydraulic tranny. That would not require any sort of computer to control the tranny whereas an A442 would...right? :). Or did they bring fully hydraulic A442's into Canada? Just curious. Very nice build. :)

That's a typo... what Stone meant was A440F. His FJ80 is ex US w/ A440F.
Canada does have some pure hydraulic A442Fs in the 90/01- 92/08 JDM RHD HDJ81s
Don't ask me what makes em different than the A440F in the US FJ80 in the same year.

Thanks for pointing that out, PookieBear...definitely wrote down the wrong tranny number, I have a 440 from my FJ80 and I've corrected my post. :beer:

Just got back from hanging out with Ciaran Wilson, and he said it's perfectly normal to have to pull the torque converter up a tiny bit for it to be screwed onto the ring gear...and 5mm is not unreasonable or unexpected. So...I'm stoked! Looks like everything is a go...just have to pull it all apart, put in a new oil pan and change the rear main seal, then put together everything with the proper torque specs.

:cheers:

Oh okay. Well, didn't mean to nitpick. Was just honestly curious because this seems like a *semi* viable option for me down the road. :) Thanks for the great write up.

Stone/Sheldon,
What are you guys going to do about the shift point difference between the gasser A440 and whatever tranny the 12H-T was mated to?

They rev way differently.

Craig.

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
The plan was to get it all put together and a baseline for how it pulls/shifts etc.
Then as finances allow, get Rodney
at wholesale automatics involved for a new TC and get the Valve body extremed and moded to
get the characteristics where we want em.

So last week we pretty much ripped out the 3FE and got the engine bay ready for the 12H-T combo.

3FE_coming_out_001.sized.jpg

3FE_coming_out_012.sized.jpg

3FE_coming_out_013.sized.jpg

Sheldon...I'm missing a cooling line fitting in my A440...have you seen it? WTF?!? :D
3FE_coming_out_010.sized.jpg

The transmission pan from the A440 that was behind the 12H-T in the HJ60 was swapped over to the A440 we're using from the FJ80 so that the dipstick came up the correct side.

Ideally we'de like to use the 60 series trans cooling lines because they cross over the bell housing to the other side of the engine so they can be supported...but the line diameters are different, and the fitting for the 80 series has a sensor in one of them, so right now we can't just swap them out. Might use some soft lines with the 80 series lines instead...don't know yet.

After my turbo was taken apart to be ceramic coated, there was a dramatic increase in shaft play...so I had it completely rebuilt (again...after only two years) and I will have a totally rebuilt turbo that is freshly ceramic coated.

I'm taking my FJ80 rad with the nice brass tanks on it to a rad shop sometime soon to be re-cored and have the top hose connection piece switched over from the driver's side to the passenger's side to accomodate the way the 12H-T thermostat housing points.

I'm also going to try and see if the FJ80 stator coil on the AC pump will simply swap over to the 12H-T AC pump...I've heard that some years may be able to simply swap over like this.

Today we're hoping to finish modifying the motor mounts and have someone weld them permanently into place. The 12H-T is hanging in the engine bay right now supported by the trans cross member and the engine hoist...and it looks NICE in there. :D

:beer:

The transmission pan from the A440 that was behind the 12H-T in the HJ60 was swapped over to the A440 we're using from the FJ80 so that the dipstick came up the correct side.

They actually both come up on the same side, but swapping the ex 12H-T A440 pan over makes the tube angle correct and makes the tube extension mount brackets all bolt up to thier original holes on the 12H-T bellhousing etc.

They actually both come up on the same side, but swapping the ex 12H-T A440 pan over makes the tube angle correct and makes the tube extension mount brackets all bolt up to thier original holes on the 12H-T bellhousing etc.

Ah...that's what it was. Thanks for clarifying that, Shel...

Great build, you guys really seem to know where you're heading to. Are you confident that +/- 130 HP will be enough to move the beast? Planning other add-ons?

Great build, you guys really seem to know where you're heading to. Are you confident that +/- 130 HP will be enough to move the beast? Planning other add-ons?

Thanks...the 12H-T will be waaaaaaay better than the 3FE. I'm fairly confident about that. It'll do the job better and get double the fuel mileage doing it. :)

The motor mounts were welded in permanently today.

The passenger's side motor mount I think is one of the 3FE mounts heavily modified by Sheldon and Joel and reinforced with angle iron to make it stronger.
Photo_041809_001.sized.jpg

The driver's side mount is one of the 2H mounts from the HJ60 that my 12H-T came in.
Photo_041809_002.sized.jpg

Here's both of them in the same shot...
Photo_041809_003.sized.jpg

:cheers:

We are confident that the 12H-T will kick A$$ in the FJ80. Even more intercooled.. but that is later.
You really need to test drive a 12H-T powered cruiser to understand. You probably wouldn't believe it's *only* 130hp, but for sure... if you just look at the published numbers you might have concern considering how the FJ80 slugs around with...er..160ish?? hp (allegedly)

I have read that to get a comparable HP to a gasoline engine you add 30% to the diesel output. With that you can add about 30-40HP to the diesel figure which would put you comparable to 160-170 HP in a gas engine. Not sure if this is true but I have heard alot of good things about the 12H-T. My 6.2 diesel was only rated at about 150 HP but it felt much stronger than the 1FZE that was rated around 200HP.
Rusty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom