New Power Steering pump question for 1997 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,
The power steering pump on my '97 is making an awful noise and looks like it's leaking a bit. When it first showed up, it was when that last cold snap came through and I thought it was the cold weather and maybe old PS fluid making it groan, but now that it's warmer and it's still groaning (and leaking)... ugh, I'm guessing it may need a new pump (235k miles).
Anyway, looking for suggestions from you wise ones... would you recommend I just bite the bullet and get an OEM one from the dealer ($439) *gulp* -- or is it fine to just get one from partsgeek.com or Rock Auto? Parts Geek has a Mavel remanufactured pump for $180, or a new A1 Cardone (non-OEM) for $157. I also see Rock Auto has similar options, but they also have a "send us your old one, we rebuild it and send it back" for about $92. I'm the kinda guy who would rather pay the extra to have something done right, but at the same time, don't want to spend any more than I have to, lol.
Thanks for any tips!

My thing is always this.

How long did that original one last ?

What can I afford ?

And lastly what type of fluid do you have in this one ?

I had mine replaced at Endy Imports 25114 NC 24 27 Hwy, Albemarle, (704) 983-4678, Scott Guyette is the owner and master Toyota Tech. He replaced it with a toyota one (all he uses) and it was a lot less than dealer is quoting you, all in.
It was the closest place to me in Matthews and he does good work.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'd like to go with Trollhole's suggestion (since I like DIY), but I'm seriously weighing Izzy's contact as I'm short in DIY time over the next few weeks.
Is there any harm in continuing to drive it until I can get it squared away? It just sounds real bad.

I have a pump I can let go. Will need to use your pump gear which is better anyway so it meshes with the oil pump/idler gear. This is the same pump I used to prime my new engine with oil so you will want to be sure to flush it with fresh Dextron ATF.

$50? Will need to figure a Greensboro to Charlotte mudship. Let me know if thats the direction you want to go.

EDIT ... I do not have a fresh O-ring so if yours was leaking you will want to find a new one. Part # 90301-73004 .... about $4.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks guys - I'm on business travel this week but will circle back towards the end.
(Also, not sure what fluid is in there now, as I bought it last spring.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom