New Owner of a 2013 200 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone - I'm new to IH8MUD but, have been snooping on this forum for a few years now and you guys have been super informative.

I recently purchased my dream car a few weeks ago and I love it - Metallic Grey 2013 200 Series (only 41,000 miles and CPO). There were only about 4 of these available in the US in the year / mileage / color I wanted and was thrilled to land this one! I fell in love with Land Cruisers after hearing my dad's stories of driving his 85' Nissan Patrol through the Kuwait desert and while he drives a fully loaded 2007 Sequoia today, he says the Patrol was a more refined unit. However, he always had his eye on the LC and growing up, we'd always take them out for test drives at the dealer (we knew the sales manager) so, I'm excited to FINALLY say I own one!

It was a difficult decision choosing between white and metallic grey but, realized there weren't many metallic grey 200 series' around and was blown away when I saw it this specific one in person. Super clean interior and exterior. You can tell it was gently used and certainly wasn't taken down the beaten path. V8 is smooth as butter... also, this was an "upgrade" from a 2014.5 Toyota Camry after it was unfortunately totaled; talk about a blessing in disguise! Clean Carfax, one owner, and it's also a Florida car!

Please let me know if I should "watch" for anything in the few months of ownership, here's what I've done so far:

1) Immediate Oil Change (will do another at 50k)
2) Flushed and new Power Steering Fluid
3) Tire Rotation (will get new tires fall of 2018)
4) Alignment
5) All new fluids - brake, coolant, PS, etc.
6) Tires are inflated to 36psi - please let me know if you recommend higher or lower, I know the recommendation is 33psi (starting to get colder here in Northern VA)
7) Purchased all weather mats and a hood deflector from Toyota

***I'm thinking about getting powder coated black rims but still on the fence. Please advise if there are any cons I should be aware of before doing this***

20170831_093229.jpg

20170827_094845.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! Nice find. No reason to go higher than 33 psi in the tires, IMHO. If the engine and cabin air filters have not been changed, I’d do that. I assume you’ve checked wear items like brakes and wiper blades. And, as PM, you might consider lubing the driveshafts. Depending on build date, the battery could be 5 years old, so clean the terminals? Enjoy! It’s a ride like no other (in a good way).

Thanks Sandroad, happy to be here! Appreciate the reminder - all filters have been changed on the car, was included in the immediate oil change, and I also put a new battery to "start over". Brakes are in great shape and wiper blades may need a change in the 6 months or so; they work fine but you can tell they've been on for a bit.

I'll look into lubing the driveshaft on the next service, thanks for the tip! I'm also looking to put a rust prevention sealant on the frame as well so let me know if you have any recommendations.

There is 0 rust on the car and want to keep it that way for the next few years.

Thanks Sandroad, happy to be here! Appreciate the reminder - all filters have been changed on the car, was included in the immediate oil change, and I also put a new battery to "start over". Brakes are in great shape and wiper blades may need a change in the 6 months or so; they work fine but you can tell they've been on for a bit.

I'll look into lubing the driveshaft on the next service, thanks for the tip! I'm also looking to put a rust prevention sealant on the frame as well so let me know if you have any recommendations.

Where in nova you reside?
With the salts on the road coming winter how do you plan to make it rust free?

Congratulations and welcome!

Yes Captndcoke - I understand, I'm just trying to take PM with the rust situation.

CONGRATS - love that color.....and it's the best year.

I now use Fluid Film for rust prevention, available in spray cans from Amazon. Others on here spray it from bulk containers, but I just use the aerosol cans. You can coat the frame and potential rust areas with about 2-3 cans. Run a search here on MUD to see the benefits and downsides of using Fluid Film. There is a special area you don't want to rust, the KDSS valves. Another search here will lead you to photos of where to find them (under the frame beneath the drivers side rear seat). Coat them with marine grease. Today!

Here's the KDSS valve info:

KDSS valve rust- WARNING

Thank you! Yes - big fan of the 13'-15' refresh... the '16 and beyond models were a bit too much for me and not a fan of the rear screens behind the head rests.

Super helpful @Sandroad!!! I'll need to put the LC up and take a good look with my mechanic to make sure we are taking PM.

Does anyone here have any cons associated w/ powder coating the rims? Is there a downside to doing this / any effect on the longevity of the rim?

Super helpful @Sandroad!!! I'll need to put the LC up and take a good look with my mechanic to make sure we are taking PM.

Does anyone here have any cons associated w/ powder coating the rims? Is there a downside to doing this / any effect on the longevity of the rim?
none that I know of, black them out! I used plastidip on mine, works pretty good... I think PC is the way to go to do it right! Nice rig congrats! Welcome to MUD!
200saltflats.jpg

No cons that I can think of. I did mine a couple months ago. Very happy. The 2016 wheels that came on my 2013 look fantastic!

375BC861-EC6E-4DD7-89FF-E6AEE0858846.jpeg

If yours was CPO the dealer should’ve given you a list of everything that was replaced and they should replace the fluids and the filters that were required congratulations on the new ride

Guess some of us are still waiting on how much it costed you

I'm from NoVA and I know you're going to go insane if you don't get to test out CRAWL at some point! You might have to hit up Rausch Creek in PA to have some fun. I'm happy for you to have an LC, but like my Jeep Rubicon-owning brother in NoVA, I'm also sad for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom