New oil leak… Mobil1? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've always heard the synthetic will can leaks. Here's my story.

Rebuilt 13BT. No leaks for 22,000miles of Rotella. Switched to a Synthetic Delo and leaking out of my timing cover. Switched back to Rotella and leak slowed considerably to almost non-existant. It's possible it's all coincidental...but it sure is annoying. Yes I plan on fixing the gasket.

These old trucks don't NEED synthetic. What they need is oil changed on time. :meh:

No need to in older engines. I run 15w 40 in my 2f
No need to run synthetic in anything unless you like a more stable oil resulting in more time and/or miles between changes.

Yeah obviously bad seals are the root cause, but it seems like switching to a synthetic can be hard on older seals and make them fail sooner than they would otherwise with Dyno oil

Last edited:
No need to run synthetic in anything unless you like a more stable oil resulting in more time and/or miles between changes.

These engines were not designed for synthetic. I've got an ls motor with 378,000 miles on it. Used nothing but conventional. You're wasting your money

These engines were not designed for synthetic. I've got an ls motor with 378,000 miles on it. Used nothing but conventional. You're wasting your money
My money; my time. I don't like to change the oil very often.

I do like it though when I pull the valve cover and everything looks like you could eat off it. Engines aren't designed for anything other than a relatively wide viscosity band but you should generally run the lowest viscosity you can if you want to maximize lubrication. If 15W-40 conventional works for you then I'm happy. :cheers:

I’ve used Rotella in the past and had no complaints other than cost. Currently I run penzoil platinum. I watched project farm (youtube) run some oils test about 2 years ago where aimsoil came out on top but the penzoil was a very close second. Walmart carries the penzoil platinum in bulk which is a great price and they have a high mileage vehicle additive package.

I've been running Rotella for years in my 60 and am going to use it in my recently acquired 80.

Application specific. If you wanted to run a 40 weight, you’d go with 5w rather than 15. I run 5/40 in southeast AK a bit north of you, with good cold starts & blackstone results.
B3C80B2F-700E-422D-BFC5-9F88AFFD63EE.jpeg

😎

These are essentially tractor engines and that 5W-40 Rotella is perfectly suited for them. I get lots of free Rotella from my uncle. They are land levelers and use it in their Cat D9s

Application specific. If you wanted to run a 40 weight, you’d go with 5w rather than 15. I run 5/40 in southeast AK a bit north of you, with good cold starts & blackstone results.
If Rotella had a 10w-40 i’d go for that in the winter. Will probably do 15w-40 when the next oil change comes around in the spring.

I meant to say 15W-40

I meant to say 15W-40
Doing an oil change this weekend and was reading-up on what everyone’s using. My 2 cents worth is I’ve tried several viscosity, weights, and brands in the mighty 3FE tractor engine and Rotella 15w40 synthetic blend with a Wix filter (not the Wix XP) seems to both run the best and minimizes leaks. It also seems to have a mild detergent and my valves appear to be cleaner year to year.

I used to use wix filters on a different vehicle and never had an issue, but you may want to search the horror stories of people using them in cruisers..

I used to use wix filters on a different vehicle and never had an issue, but you may want to search the horror stories of people using them in cruisers..
Yes I’ve read the horror stories with Wix but it was confined to the flow back valve In the Wix XP. The regular old Wix 51515 has always worked great for me but I can’t disagree with Toyota OEM either.

I agree. I use Purolator standard red filter in my 2f. I once got a wicked it was all I could find. After running the engine I loosened the filter and there was no oil coming out. Not sure what was happening, maybe the anti drain valve. But it scared me enough to change it immediately

I agree. I use Purolator standard red filter in my 2f. I once got a wicked it was all I could find. After running the engine I loosened the filter and there was no oil coming out. Not sure what was happening, maybe the anti drain valve. But it scared me enough to change it immediately
Wix not wicked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom