New member looking for first LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

First post here after lurking for the past 6 months. I'm looking to buy my first LC and have learned a ton about these trucks from this forum, so thanks for all the great info! I believe that I've done my research, and I know there've been a lot of these posts lately, but I saw what could be an ideal LC pop up on Autotrader today and was hoping to get some opinions from some of y'all with more experience.

I'm located in GA and there haven't been many listings in my price range/area/MY preference ('03-'06, ~175k or less, $15-20k) in the last few months. The truck I found today is a 2006 non-AHC with 181k miles and is located about 3 hrs from home. Listed for $17,000.

Pros:
- One of the closest I've seen to my area
- Appears to be an ideal color combo of Thundercloud/Gray (a little hard to tell if tundercloud or silver from lighting)
- Dealer has few but good ratings online
- Southern vehicle (FL, NC, GA)
- Looks pretty clean from pics

Cons:
- 3 owners
- Limited service records, looks to have been routinely dealer maintained from 28k-72k
- No records of timing belt/water pump, and would be due even if done at 90k
- Appears to be a little rust on the hitch
- Looks like a small rip on rear passenger seat

Would love to hear what others have to say about this truck. Even if it isn't the right one for me, I'll be able to use your advice as I continue the search. I also would like to save a 3 hr drive if any of these are MAJOR red flags that make it not worth checking out. Does $17k seem like a reasonable price? Are the lack of records of critical maintenance leverage I can use to get the price down? I've attached a picture and the link to the rest. Thanks a lot!

Used 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser

111349d530714751b213fe174c655d95.jpg

Seems a little steep for the amount of miles. I paid 17 for my 05 with 130k miles last year...but yours is an 06 non AHC. Those are kinda rare. I wanted a non ahc 06-07 but could not find one. So I settled on doing the front conversion on my 05 :). I say offer him 15,000 only if the timing belt, water pump and steering rack have been done. KBB puts it at 13 and change for private party.

Are non-AHC 2006 that rare? Why the demand?

AHC became an option for the LC in 2006 and it seems as though the majority of '06 and '07s were equipped with it. Prior to buying my LC, we had a car with adjustable suspension and it was a struggle to maintain as the vehicle aged. Though the hydraulic system AHC uses seems robust, I went out of my way to find an '06 without AHC so I wouldn't have the extra complexity.

Also, it's an easier process to lift a non-AHC vehicle if that's your long term intent.

Last edited:
I'd probably pay 17 if I was in the market again and the maintenance records were all there. Don't give much weight to what someone in California paid. Completely different market.

Last October I paid $19,500 for my 2006 with AHC and 114k miles. It was in really great shape, well-maintained at the dealer but had a few annoying problems I had to sort out. All in all, I spent less than $500 on getting it up to my standards. It was all little stuff but that crap bugs me to death. The book value was listed at $22,500 so I felt like I got a good deal. I bought it sight unseen which is something I have never done. It was a NY vehicle and the undercarriage has a fair share of surface rust. The body is perfect with small scratches here and there and the timing belt had been replaced at 99k miles. I would purchase it again at that price.

Thanks for all the replies! Checked with the dealer this morning, they do not have any additional service records. Said that they'd get their maintenance dept to check the timing belt, but I'm not sure I want to trust anything other than documentation on when it was replaced. Based on everyone's comments and the lack of documentation here, I'm definitely thinking this truck is overpriced right now. Any suggestions on a counter offer I could give them based on lack of maintenance? Or is this something I should just walk away from for that reason. Seems like I've seen $1500-$2000 thrown around here on the forums for pricing on the t-belt/water pump replacement. Based on that and some of the other cons here, I'd be tempted to try and drop to $14,000 or $14,500, but I can't imagine they'd drop that far, especially since it hasn't been on the market long.

I'm in the same situation with almost identical vehicle and pricing. Owner says dealer took it out to an independent to get done....okaaay... Trying to track it down, better have documentation...I hate this part of the job.

As others have said and from what i've read on this forum, they are asking too much. Maybe try the angle of having them replace the tbelt and water pump and any other preventative maintenance items and you'll pay that price. How do the tires look? If you are thinking of upgrading that's at least another $1,000, so try using that to your advantage as well. HTH

Thanks for all the replies! Checked with the dealer this morning, they do not have any additional service records. Said that they'd get their maintenance dept to check the timing belt, but I'm not sure I want to trust anything other than documentation on when it was replaced. Based on everyone's comments and the lack of documentation here, I'm definitely thinking this truck is overpriced right now. Any suggestions on a counter offer I could give them based on lack of maintenance? Or is this something I should just walk away from for that reason. Seems like I've seen $1500-$2000 thrown around here on the forums for pricing on the t-belt/water pump replacement. Based on that and some of the other cons here, I'd be tempted to try and drop to $14,000 or $14,500, but I can't imagine they'd drop that far, especially since it hasn't been on the market long.

You probably notice this but, on the 5th picture, you can see what used to be mounting holes beside the brake lights. So it seems that it used to have spoiler, but it is not there anymore. I hope they actually put something there so water is not just pouring in.

List all of the cons, then put your offer on the table. Be prepare to walk away. The worst they can say is No. Good luck!

Thanks again for the insight everybody. I'm waiting for them to let me know what their maintenance guys say about the t-belt (though it definitely seems like it hasn't been replaced) and to see some detailed photos of the seat tear and the undercarriage for peace of mind. Assuming no other issues surface, I think I'm going to follow @bctlex advice and list the cons, call out the KBB/NADA values, and make an offer. I'm hoping they'll take a deposit and I can drive down to inspect it this weekend before fully commiting (I've never personally done this but have read of others making that arrangement). I also may throw in the alternative of having them perform the necessary maintenance for an offer closer to list price (good call @D21FJ60). Based on my experience searching for these trucks so far, they'll probably find someone willing to pay the full price without all of this trouble, but I've got to get lucky sooner or later!

The photo of the engine compartment shows a non-standard battery with an awkward and poorly done (not secured) extender of the positive cable to the battery post. To me, that's a red flag of someone not caring for the vehicle enough to get either 1) the right battery or 2) a properly done connection. It could be an indication of other "shortcuts", so go into that purchase with you eyes open and paying attention for poorly done work.

The photo of the engine compartment shows a non-standard battery with an awkward and poorly done (not secured) extender of the positive cable to the battery post. To me, that's a red flag of someone not caring for the vehicle enough to get either 1) the right battery or 2) a properly done connection. It could be an indication of other "shortcuts", so go into that purchase with you eyes open and paying attention for poorly done work.

I saw this a couple times when I was looking for my LC. Just meant someone was lazy and didn't buy the correct battery version with the terminals reversed. You would be surprised by how many bad auto shops will put a battery they have in inventory in a customer's car and extend the cables rather than ordering the correct "R" or "F" models with the polarity in the right spot.

Good luck shopping. Once you've gone LC........you don't go back!

So I've been told!

I saw this a couple times when I was looking for my LC. Just meant someone was lazy and didn't buy the correct battery version with the terminals reversed. You would be surprised by how many bad auto shops will put a battery they have in inventory in a customer's car and extend the cables rather than ordering the correct "R" or "F" models with the polarity in the right spot.

Thanks for the call out on this! I'll make sure to keep an eye out for any other red flags.

What's up with those ugly headrest covers?

As far as asking a dealer will they do the work... your not playing the negotiating game right for your favor, right now you have them where you want them... they dont know if its been done... thats easy 1000-2000 off the top, DON'T let them do the T belt bring it to a mechanic you trust or better yet do it yourself. I just did a 04 T belt kit, water pump, idler,tensioner pulley, hydraulic tensioner and timing belt.

has dvd under?

Thought those looked weird, will find out.

Just talked to the dealer and offered them $14k for it citing KBB value, lack of maint records, needing timing belt/WP replacement, etc. Of course they "already have more than that in it" and think that $17k is a very fair price. They sent it to get the tear in the rear seat repaired (hopefully not poorly), but they're supposed to send me some more pics of the tear repair and the undercarriage and see what they can do on price. We'll see what they come back with. I'm prepared to walk away from this one if I find any more red flags or if they won't come down to $15k. Thanks again for all the help and advice everyone!

ahh s*** I thought I wrote it... U shouldn't have offered anything on the phone.... U gotta offer (with money in pocket)when your there after driving and inspecting it yourself... Dealers get crazy when you flash green... If I were u id go there abd inspect it drive it and pull out the cash and say 14 right now with another 1000 in reserve.... Btw dealers go off of Nada value because that is the standard that banks use to finance cars not kbb.. That doesn't mean they won't sell for less then Nada but when people bring up kbb to dealers they roll their eyes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom