New member intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to say hello to the forum as a new member. Bought a 95 over the weekend, after looking for a couple of months finally found a nice one. Original owner, 125k miles and full on soccer mom duty. well maintained mechanically but looked as if it hadn't been thoroughly washed in about 10 years, had black mold like stuff in all the door jambs, actual moss growing under the sunroof wind deflector and looked as if someone had spilled coffee about 1000 times in the interior.

After getting it home and spending about 5 hours cleaning, I removed the running boards, wind deflector and taillight guards. Picked up a set of front mudguards, a CDL switch and a new intake hose. Plans include a cooling system service including all new heater and rad hoses(still has original ones), diff services and eventually a lift, 285s and possibly ARBs front and rear.

Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself and I wanted to say thanks in advance for the info I'm sure to be asking about in the future and heres a pic of how it looked when I got it home minus the wind deflector and taillight guards. Thanks, Doug

P1060075.JPG

Interesting running boards. The one I got from my brother had black moldy stuff in the door jambs too. It had been sitting for a few years. Nice to see more So Cal members.

Nice ride, and you even got the white color. Score!

You mention a lift in your future. Not to dissuade you, but here's my experience with what's generally agreed to be the easiest, most trouble-free lift for 33s:

Begging the Collective Mud Brain: after 1.5 years and 3 mechanics, post-lift handling still sucks!!!

I thought it would be a cakewalk, but my mileage sure did vary.

More free advice: this is a really good forum, but make sure to ask lots of questions about what the best tires and batteries and oil are. Everyone seems to really like that. :rofl:

You mention a lift in your future. Not to dissuade you, but here's my experience with what's generally agreed to be the easiest, most trouble-free lift for 33s:

Begging the Collective Mud Brain: after 1.5 years and 3 mechanics, post-lift handling still sucks!!!

More free advice: this is a really good forum, but make sure to ask lots of questions about what the best tires and batteries and oil are. Everyone seems to really like that. :rofl:
You forgot cup holders. Cup holders man.

Welcome! Good looking rig.

I have ome medium lift with 30mm Spacer up front to rid the rake. 35" tires and no caster correction as of yet. My cruiser handles and maneuvers very well. It does get your typical wheel drift when hitting a uneven pavement but hope to correct with @NLXTACY caster correction plates. I plan to go to J springs and will correct caster then. Long story short, I have had a positive experience with my lift. Maybe it's the heavies? Guess I'll find out with Js.

I have ome medium lift with 30mm Spacer up front to rid the rake. 35" tires and no caster correction as of yet. My cruiser handles and maneuvers very well. It does get your typical wheel drift when hitting a uneven pavement but hope to correct with @NLXTACY caster correction plates. I plan to go to J springs and will correct caster then. Long story short, I have had a positive experience with my lift. Maybe it's the heavies? Guess I'll find out with Js.
I never thought much of the OME 2.5 med, was just OK. When i went to J's found them to be much better. I dunno why, but been happy with them. One day I will do something different, but I can't justify it right now.

Drive it for a year, then discuss lift with everyone. I am running 285 with no lift and tired springs. The stance is adequate and I have not rubbed "too hard" on forest roads. Mind you I'm not rock crawling, more an overland with minimal air kinda thing. White, the best color ever produced on a Land Cruiser. Wash, rubbing compound, clay bar, and wax. It looks awesome now, looking forward to seeing your journey. Oh ya, welcome :flipoff2:

I'd also say drive it for a year and see what your needs are. If the shocks are totally worn out then go ahead with the lift and shocks right away.

Having read a ton of threads on the topic my plan is to go for some sliders first then start down the road of a lift and other mods. Mine currently runs the OME stock height shocks on likely original tired springs. My only real mod is 285/75/16 BFG K02's which have been great.

I've never seen that smooth style of running board. Looks classy--almost a shame to remove. You should find another soccer mom to donate them to. :hillbilly:

To throw more random opinons into the mix. 285's do not require a lift, but the OME "stock height" springs will give you about 1" over stock saggy springs and by all accounts they ride and handle great. These guys saying "drive it for a while before modifying" might also be on to something. :eek:

Welcome :flipoff2:

Personally, I've had the OME stock height suspension and the 2.5". They were fine.

I have a Tough Dog 2" lift and 41mm foam cell shocks on my 93. I absolutely love it the springs are dual rate. Rides great unloaded or loaded down with a 1000 lbs. @reevesci is the distributor here in the US of A. He's great people.

I've got about 12k miles on my TD lift and love it so much I will be going the same way with my 92 after I am done hemmoraging money with my 93.

@LS1FJ40 glad to hear you are enjoying that setup, i never heard of it until now and from what you described it sounds like a compelling option (especially the dual rate springs). Do you know if anyone on mud has tried this setup with the adjustable shocks?

Welcome!!!!! :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

SEARCH is your friend. Figured I'd get that out there now. Ask @Maleficio about that.......

Yes, 285's fit without a lift.

I drove my horribly neglected 96 about 25K miles before i decided everything it needed, then it blew up the radiator for me so I could get started.

Get an oil sample sent off to Blackstone Labs to see how soon you need a head gasket replacement on your 95. I'm guessing since it had Soccer Mom duty and is as described, it has not been replaced yet.

Replace your PHH and all cooling system hoses. Don't forget an OEM radiator cap.

Ask once per week about what oil to use, based on the weather.

Ask every other week about what tires to use when you change terrain and weather.

Ask about what the best bumpers are for the front.

Ask about what the best bumpers are for the rear.

Ask about how to fix your sunroof leak.

Ask about your sunvisor fix.

Ask about how to replace the drivers side seatbelt.

Ask about how to rebuild your front axle.

Do a survey for who wants to add a supercharger.

Do a survey for the best tires.

Ask about how to fix you oil leaks.

Ask about how to improve your gas mileage.

Most of all: DRIVE IT!!!

Welcome :flipoff2: Love the white 80.

@LS1FJ40 glad to hear you are enjoying that setup, i never heard of it until now and from what you described it sounds like a compelling option (especially the dual rate springs). Do you know if anyone on mud has tried this setup with the adjustable shocks?

Honestly, I had never heard of Tough Dog until @reevesci told me he was going to be the distributor for them. Then I researched them and saw they got very good reviews in Australia. They are made in Australia (not China like a lot of the others) and are beefy!

I'm impressed. And the cost is good too!

I don't know anything about the adjustable shocks. I have the 41mm foam cells which have been great for me and get excellent reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom