New leather upholstery. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks @labcab, I see that channel leathers hooked onto. Looks like a bear to stretch & hook back on when I'm done.

Are there any snaps or screws hold on plastic once I get leather unhooked?

So I'm thinking; if I unhook the bottom, I may be able to pull on plastic enough that whatever's rolling around in there may fall out. Does that sound like it will work?

Yep. That's why I went in there and what I did. I was able to get out the junk rattling in there by removing one side from the channel.

There are a bunch of screws. ~10 holding the plastic panel to the frame a handful of others.
IMG_4976.JPG

About $.50, a couple tiny plastic animals (one of which was a rat), a business card for a strip club in Baltimore and a recipe for chicken and dumplings. Oh and some old cheerios and French fries.

I installed 1 seat. The colors in my photos are kinda off. It looks really close to a perfect match in person. The dark matches the doors very closely. The dash is a bit different color than the doors, so I went with matching the doors. They are super soft and way more comfortable than the hard, slick factory leather. The steam was key. It expands the foam a lot, back to the original form I suppose. You really have to force the steam into the foam to get it to expand. The next seat should turn out nearly perfect. This one is a tiny bit wrinkly but its tightening up a bit.
IMG_8105.JPG

I installed 1 seat. The colors in my photos are kinda off. It looks really close to a perfect match in person. The dark matches the doors very closely. The dash is a bit different color than the doors, so I went with matching the doors. They are super soft and way more comfortable than the hard, slick factory leather. The steam was key. It expands the foam a lot, back to the original form I suppose. You really have to force the steam into the foam to get it to expand. The next seat should turn out nearly perfect. This one is a tiny bit wrinkly but its tightening up a bit. View attachment 1434934
I have been looking for new leather seats for almost 3 years now. I'm very OCD with colors matching. Any chance you could take a couple more pics of the installed seat.
I'm thinking about stealing your two tone idea.

That looks really great! How long did it take you to do that seat?
It took about 5 hours I think. That's take out to install. The next one will probably take 3 hours. The back seat, I have no idea.

I have been looking for new leather seats for almost 3 years now. I'm very OCD with colors matching. Any chance you could take a couple more pics of the installed seat.
I'm thinking about stealing your two tone idea.
I can try to take some more pics but the lighting in a car is so screwed up with shadows and stuff. It's not perfect but it looks good. I went through many of their samples and decided on these colors. I can tell you the color and they can send you samples. You can do vinyl too for a few hundred less.

What are the two colors you selected?

How's stitching and material over all?
Can some one compare these with other options like leather from Cruiser.com etc

i ordered the samples, the colors were a little off, but the biggest thing for me was it just seemed like a completely different type of leather. I'd hate for the seats to look out of place compared to the door panels. Ive needed new leather since I bought the truck. Yours look like they match close enough, thats why I was looking for the other pictures.
How stupid is it that we cannot order new factory leather covers.....

i ordered the samples, the colors were a little off, but the biggest thing for me was it just seemed like a completely different type of leather. I'd hate for the seats to look out of place compared to the door panels. Ive needed new leather since I bought the truck. Yours look like they match close enough, thats why I was looking for the other pictures.
How stupid is it that we cannot order new factory leather covers.....
Yea, it is what it is. I looked at so many samples for several weeks, in different light and against the doors and seats and dash. All that stuff is a little different in color anyway, so i figured if my seats dominated the overall interior colors then the rest would match closely, as it did with the factory colors. It's not perfect, but it's really nice, soft, comfortable and the vehicle is 19 years old and just got beat to death in Moab, so the seats are far better than I need them to be with matching. I was being very particular when choosing the colors too, but then I just realized that it's never going to match perfect with aftermarket leather. They did give me some door panel inserts too.

Did the package come with a replacement for the console? I noticed the armrests came with it. Did you build it on the website or call and discuss over the phone?

Did the package come with a replacement for the console? I noticed the armrests came with it. Did you build it on the website or call and discuss over the phone?
No console cover. That was dumb but whatever. I ordered extra vinyl for stuff like that. It has everything else though. I called them to make sure it was all correct. I think mine was the first 100 they have done.

I was thinking you could just order extra and then have the console done, so that is in line with what I thought.

It looks amazing and I am so happy you are posting your results on here! Thanks for being the guinea pig!

Remember those lame posters that said things like "Courage" or "Confidence" and then had a picture of something inspirational? Well, all of those apply here however, above all "Commitment" which would have one of these pictures below as the poster photo.
2017-07-03 19.33.00.jpg
2017-07-03 19.52.28.jpg
2017-07-03 19.55.38.jpg

Farewell to my beloved seat heaters, due to the photo below, and thankfully this happened to the old upholstery. I will not pay the premium for the Toyota replacement heaters. I will not just replace the one that's bad and "hope" the rest will be OK. I will not buy aftermarket heaters. So, no more heaters. Not too upset, as this leaves me with two open slots for USB ports or other switches and stuff & stuff.

2017-07-03 19.48.41.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom