New FJ55 owner with questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sold my HJ45. So, with the unexpected full support of my wife, took a road trip last week and brought home a 1979 FJ55. She loves it, and my kids are already staking claims in case I kick the bucket. Overall the truck is in great shape, I'm just trying to figure out a few things:

1 - Looks like a hose from the heating system was removed, see pic attached. Trying to figure out why they would have removed that and where it goes. It has stock AC. My 40 is a bit different so I can't compare.

IMG_0735.JPG

Also, anyone know where I can find these belts? Looks to be stock according the the tag, but I can't find them anywhere. This one is in excellent shape, but I'd like one for the middle front as my little girl always wants to ride up front.
IMG_0734.JPG

Also, thanks HeathRJ for the great thread on weatherstripping!

Look at the bottom of the main page for the 55 section. I do know the 55 have three defrost hoses. Third one was probably broke and removed and hole taped off.

Missing hose on heater box is for a defrost vent.
Never seen a belt like that.
You should post in the 55 section. Probably get more responses.

Must post pics of the vehicle. Didn't '79's have shoulder belts for driver and passenger? That one doesn't look quite right as a lap belt, which is what middle needs to be.

thanks for the responses guys.

I thought this was the 55 section JackA? Is there another 55 section besides the 40 & 55 Series tech?

Here is a pic of the 55. I'm not pleased with the paint choice of the PO, but since they were the original owners and had it for nearly 40 years, I guess I'll cut them some slack - maybe they just got tired of it? Overall it's in excellent shape and pretty much rust free. I can only see a couple of spots where there appears to be rust repair. I plan to take it back to the original blue and white soon. There are shoulder belts for the front seat, rear bench has those retractable lap belt type in the pic above.

Interesting that the front seatbelts are shoulder type, and they still have the part number tag as genuine toyota part from 1979, but the extention at the top mounting bolt puts the belt eyelet at my armpit height - making it quite uncomfortable. I'm only 5'10. Were people shorter in the late 70's?

tundy55.jpg

This is the tech section for the FJ40 & FJ55. However, on down the page is a section called Cruiser Registry. In there is the Iron Pig preservation society.

Pig specific questions can probably best be answered there, as we are the fools infected with the Pig disease.

This is the tech section for the FJ40 & FJ55. However, on down the page is a section called Cruiser Registry. In there is the Iron Pig preservation society.

Pig specific questions can probably best be answered there, as we are the fools infected with the Pig disease.

great thanks, just found that. Haven't been very active on the forum for a while, didn't realize that was there.

Must post pics of the vehicle. Didn't '79's have shoulder belts for driver and passenger? That one doesn't look quite right as a lap belt, which is what middle needs to be.

1/76 was the date for three point seat belts for the FJ40 in the US market. FJ55 was probably the same. Many years ago bought a complete set of 77 FJ55 seat belts and the front driver and passenger were three point. Pulled them out of the 55.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom