New Dingo Project-ammo can console (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shermantank55

SILVER Star
Threads
New Dingo Project-20 mm ammo can center console

Having built an ammo can center console for Cadet, our FJ-40, I decided to add one to Dingo to replace the plastic center console. This would give me some secure storage and add some character.
I acquired a 20mm ammo can; cut open the bottom and contoured the can using the existing console as a guide. I built shelves within the can to provide adequate storage and drilled a series of holes to provide ventilation for rear heater.
I drilled holes in the shelves to provide mounting points that matched the original console.
DSCN0707.jpg
DSCN0709.jpg
DSCN0708.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome!

Dingo Project continued

I took the lid and cut it along the edges and across the top; I welded piano hinge to the rear and added a cabinet lock in the front. I plan to either weld the lid or use carriage bolts to secure the original latches.
DSCN0713.jpg
DSCN0714.jpg
DSCN0717.jpg

Test Fit

Here is the console in Dingo. I plan to paint tan (or maybe leave it ammo green). I will add a small box with padded lid on top similar to original or a large pad to raise height. It fits very securely. I will also be adding 12v outlets and cupholders to cover the open space to the front. More to follow!
DSCN0715.jpg
DSCN0716.jpg

Last edited:
Rugged... I vote no paint!

I have to say, this is amazing! How did you anchor it to the floorboard? I haven't had a chance to pull the middle console to clean it yet, so no idea how it's attached..

Me likey!!

Leave it green.

How much for shipping to 02886?...

I would buy one !!

:cool:

dont forget to hard mount the holster inside for the caliber of your liking

Reactions: RFB
I recognize those...I had a set as saddle bags on my KLR650 before I downsized. Very tough...

Too bad you couldn't slide it up another two inches to hide the gap. Also how is the side with the e-brake? Do you have room for your hand between the ammo box and handle?

The issue is the rear heater duct that would be exposed on the bottom. I will craft a cover out of the left over metal from the can-still need to add cup holders anyway.
Plenty of room for the brake and your hand. I will shoot some more pix tomorrow as I will be trying to finish it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom