Need Steel Rim Replacment help - 16x7 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sooke, that is a fine ride you have. Would love to have that in my barn. You did a nice job on the wheels. All around nice.
Cheers

Thank you kindly, just followed your lead. I finished off with a clear coat to add a bit more protection.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425351501.990602.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425351510.907450.jpg

Vintiques with 255/85r16's

Now that's sweet. Looks pretty dam close to stock but better. How tall are the 255/85 16s and how wide.
Thanks

Excellent thread, thanks for all the work love2fly! I decided I wanted to fit these tires to my 62....

buckshot.jpg

Real Buckshot Wide Mudder Bias Ply

......but they only come in a 31x9.50x15 or 33x10.50x16. So I start searching for 16" rims. I don't want a D-hole wagon wheel that you see on every Jeep, and certainly not any of the other ugly modern aftermarket wheels, I want a wheel that says "TOYOTA". Currently running 40 wheels. Thought about the OEM Toyota 70 series wheels that look like factory 60 wheels but in 16x7, but those are more expensive. Found these Wheel Vintiques and had all the same questions you had about them. Started searching and right before I was about to start my own thread asking about these, I found this thread. Thanks!

That's what this web site is all about. I like your choice of tires.
:beer:

So I'm still hesitant to buy these wheels considering I don't know that they won't hit the TREs on my 62. Im guessing they will clear the calipers if you are running 62 calipers on your 40, but I don't know about the TREs. Ive searched and searched and read and read and it seems that some wheels with 4" of BS will fit, but some won't. ??? I just sent wheel vintiques an email asking them if they can make them with 3.5" of BS, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on custom wheels. what to do....

I should have a set of 16" splits soon and also have a set of the oem white/grey 70 series stock wheels.

Send me a pm if you are interested.

Joe

Thanks guys but not interested in the splits, but I am interested in the 70 wheels joekatana, sending you a pm.....

I determined that the 15x8 wagon wheels that were on the truck when I bought it have 4" of backspace. There is a very small groove in the wheel from rubbing on the caliper, but no issues with the TREs. So Im probably going to just order these and grind the caliper down a bit if needed. Ive been d!#%ing around with this decision for a few weeks now, Im over it and just want new tires.

Update: I ordered the Wheel Vintiques and the Buckshots, Ill let y'all know how it turns out...

Good news for -62 owners and I would assume all stock 60 Series in general, these wheels with 4.0 in of back space have no fitment issues with TREs or calipers or anything. These are 16x7s, they come in a pretty good coat of light gray primer. Pictured next to a stock 40 wheel...

Wheel Vintiques Series 12 16x7 from Summit

IMG_3736.JPG

They arrived in less than 24 hours from the time I clicked the buy it now button! Tires on the way....

IMG_3783.jpg

16x7 Wheel Vintiques on Gateway Buckshot Wide Mudder Bias Ply P78-16, or 33x10-16

Scuffed the wheels with a scotch-brite pad and then sprayed with Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel in Dark Machine Gray. They look a little darker in person than in these pics, but I think they came out a little on the light side. Ill post a pic of them mounted after my truck gets back from paint.

Wheels were under $400 shipped and the tires were $725 shipped, $48 for mounting and "balancing". So figure under $1200 total for 4.

Last edited:
89cruiser, those are some of the nastiest lugs I've ever seen. Impressive!

For the guy unsure if his new looking hubcaps are OEM - they are. They're still available from Toyota and come in bags with the sticker attached even when bought in ebay. Those sellers are flipping.

I'm wondering why a hubcap couldn't be attached to a wheel with a few long sheetmetal screws in the black indented portion? Small holes in wheels, stainless screws, a touch of flat black paint, viola! No, I haven't tried it but might, At least when driving the streets.

One more: I noticed the other day that Specter is listing used 16" splitrim wheels for a bunch of money. Since they're used no telling how long Specter might maintain an inventory of them. For anyone who doesn't know splitrim wheels generally weigh a whole lot and Toyota's versions are very heavy. I've got a leftover set of 15" splits in my barn. No tires mounted; just moving that stack the other day like to herniate my old self.

Last edited:
View attachment 1079135

16x7 Wheel Vintiques on Gateway Buckshot Wide Mudder Bias Ply P78-16, or 33x10-16

Scuffed the wheels with a scotch-brite pad and then sprayed with Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel in Dark Machine Gray. They look a little darker in person than in these pics, but I think they came out a little on the light side. Ill post a pic of them mounted after my truck gets back from paint.

Wheels were under $400 shipped and the tires were $725 shipped, $48 for mounting and "balancing". So figure under $1200 total for 4.
That looks like the perfect wheel and tire combo to me :clap:

They look good, glad you got them.

How do the buckshots do on the street?

They are loud and bumpy and they flatspot after sitting overnight, but "smooth out", relatively speaking, within a few miles. They aren't as bad as I thought they would be actually. Everything is a compromise, and when you hit the trails, they are definitely worth it. I wish they made them in a bigger size, they only measure 32" tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom