Need Steel Rim Replacment help - 16x7 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats love2fly... All that research, retailers, back spacing, the powder coating let down... Your rig looks great and you got your 16x7's! Ya great for you my friend. scrapdaddys is fantastic too. I am glad to hear it can be done. I dislike white spokes, or any other color for that matter. I am glad to hear that you and scapdaddy both dipped your toes in and took the plunge. Looks great!
About that $45 quote... Ever notice how when you call a parts or hardware store or the like. And a gal answers. And you inquire about a tool, part, or product she says, "Just a minute, let me get someone who can help you". And then a man gets on the phone?
Thanks for the Wheel Vintiques.com info. I wasn't sure if that was a Summit Racing name of style of theirs or if it was indeed another companies product. I am going to contact them. I can wait a while and would be interested in a 3.5 back space. As it turns out I might be in for doing some front end work before I put rims on but order a head of time. Ugh.
Those BFG's look great too. That's a still a toss up for me between those and the Toyo open country M/T.
And when I get around to it I am going to investigate this clip issue as I would much prefer to have my hubcaps. The lip issue mentioned was a very good point. From what I have seen in the pictures I was wondering that. We have a shop full of metal working machines and welders and I know my partner and I can come up with something. And tig them on. No wads of "bubble" to throw the weight off. Like the wads someone did to some parts on mine. Thanks for that tip scrapdaddy.
Fantastic job!

I am not to sure about the wheels I have if they can except some type of clips for a FJ40/55. As I said I had sold my hubs caps and have no way of being able to reference if LC hub caps will work on this wheel or not. I know they sell what looks like a baby moon hub cap for the wheel from the on line Summit store and Vintiques web site. If you have a LC hub cap and measure the inside lip I can measure the hub ring on this wheel and get a general idea if a hub can work. If you look at Scrapdaddys center wheel ring and then the one I have they are a bit different.
If only Toyota would of made a 16x7 wheel with clips.
If you go to Vintiques web site and looked at the 65-62 or 26 series of wheels they are very close to a wheel that will possibly except the clips that have the Chevy type slant clip pads. Unfortunately they are not made in 16x7
but if you contact them to see if they would make a 16x7 in that series, but I am sure that were the dollars start to add up. There are many other wheel shops on line that can most likely help in that area also.

080-09a-u-big.jpg

FJ40-Wheel-Rim-Restoration5485.jpg

$T2eC16F,!)QE9s3HCn-1BR2u!DJ(+Q~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16Z,!)UE9s3wDee5BR2u!Hwdvw~~60_57.jpg

Last edited:
Ya ok love2fly, unfortunately my digital caliper only goes to 152.4 mills - 6" or so but I feel I got a pretty accurate measurement. In inches.
I came up with the inside lip of the hubcap that goes over the clips; the diameter was 8-3/16". The over all outer diameter of the hubcap, was 10-5/8". That outer lip on mine sits just a bit off the rim, say a 1/8, and "scoops" to the inner. If that makes any sense or is even important. The outer looks like it's sitting on the rim of course.
It dawned on me though that perhaps the previous owner got some caps off flea-bay because they are really nice and shinny. I mention this because perhaps they are not stock. Pics below for reference, so you know what I was measuring... And an idea at the end...
Outside and Inside of the hubcaps I measured ::

20140420_185307.jpg

Trying to take a shot from inside the hub cap because there is a little lip in there for what its worth ::

20140420_185308.jpg

And my clippers ::

20140420_185309.jpg

And so I had an idea that if a guy could procure just one hubcap say, off flea-bay, preferably in bad condition to keep costs down or find a friend with an old junky dented one and then proceeded to cut around the diameter of it on either of the points shown below, one could then place this on the rim and have a really good idea of where to tig on clips. Basically making a template. I don't think using the front hubcap and going through that hole would provide enough egress to get the marks one would want.... I think it would work slick and not burn up one of a guys "good" caps. You get the idea ::

20140420_185310.jpg

Ok, back to hard boiled eggs, Happy Easter!

Good idea. I can see your plan.
Question, I did not realize that you had stock rims, why not take/send them to a wheel fab shop and have the center of your wheels cut at the welds and have new outer 16" wheel mounts welded on. If you look at the back the wheel is a two piece (if yours is). I was looking for a set of LC steelis so I could do just that. Obviously my search ended were I had to find a complete replacement wheel set. If you wheels are two section welded I would go that direction if you want to keep the clips

Well today the wheels were mated with the tires. Photos show the end look. The gray color seems to be as close as possible to OEM. In the photos they appear blue gray, but it is a steel gray. Gray is a neutral color so this blue is most common with gray in photos just as that beige paint on my rig.
Paint that was used was Rust-Oleum Painters Touch gloss gray paint. Three coats baked with heat lamps.
Will dig up some standard 16mm lug nuts from Rock Auto and this journey will then be complete.
The wheels have no issues with any part of the brake, steering or frame systems as that was my most concerns.
As the pictures show as far as I am concerned that the old toss out steelies looks much better on a LC that spokes. Again that’s just my opinion.
I guess that’s it. For you guys that see this I believe the Summit wheels are good for this application but some may want to have customs which is just as good but the wait is the problem there. I would suggest powder coat as long as you have the time and get a good firm quote. It seems $45 is the going price. The wheels come from Summit primed so you may want to strip them before taking down for powder as you may be able to save a few bucks. Be it a FJ40-45-60-61, the 16x7 is the best wheel platform for sizing different tires on your rig. 15x6, 7 are just okay but limited.
Well I am off to the hills tomorrow to brake in the rims with some good old Mudd.
Thanks for the help. Like to see your rigs when fitted.
Cheers

Thank you very much. When I came back from 18 months in Afghanistan and seeing all the 45's over there I just had to have one. Spent a year an a half on total rebuild. It was the best therapy I could of ever had and wish I could do it again, but my wife has other plans, oh well. The wheels were pretty much the last item to keeping it close to original, just not being spilt rims. But do not be fooled, its a working truck and love's the off road. We also dress it up for car and truck shows as a OZ police search and rescue truck with over head lights and all, the kids love it. Being a cop it was easy to find the fun stuff.
thanks again.

EmptyName_180 copy.jpg

Ya Ya Love2Fly, I am picking up on what your laying down. I thought about sending them off already. But being true to stock, I really just didn't want to "ruin" five steelies. I want them around. I have no problem with doing something rim wise and storing the originals. Ya know what I mean. I have five nice stock rims and there going to stay that way. But... the 16x7 is going to happen. And the stocks will be lying in a bed of... What are those white bags of salt? Those bags of things your not supposed to eat. Ya with those. For later. Preserved for a cat that can use them when I am to old to spell "rim". I am weird with my stuff like that.

But you bring up a good point for the thread. Stocks getting sent off is indeed a very good option. I fully agree.

When I came back from 18 months in Afghanistan and seeing all the 45's over there I just had to have one. Spent a year an a half on total rebuild. It was the best therapy I could of ever had and wish I could do it again

That is a great statement. Thanks for your work.

Well today the wheels were mated with the tires. Photos show the end look. The gray color seems to be as close as possible to OEM. In the photos they appear blue gray, but it is a steel gray. Gray is a neutral color so this blue is most common with gray in photos just as that beige paint on my rig.
Paint that was used was Rust-Oleum Painters Touch gloss gray paint. Three coats baked with heat lamps.
Will dig up some standard 16mm lug nuts from Rock Auto and this journey will then be complete.
The wheels have no issues with any part of the brake, steering or frame systems as that was my most concerns.
As the pictures show as far as I am concerned that the old toss out steelies looks much better on a LC that spokes. Again that’s just my opinion.
I guess that’s it. For you guys that see this I believe the Summit wheels are good for this application but some may want to have customs which is just as good but the wait is the problem there. I would suggest powder coat as long as you have the time and get a good firm quote. It seems $45 is the going price. The wheels come from Summit primed so you may want to strip them before taking down for powder as you may be able to save a few bucks. Be it a FJ40-45-60-61, the 16x7 is the best wheel platform for sizing different tires on your rig. 15x6, 7 are just okay but limited.
Well I am off to the hills tomorrow to brake in the rims with some good old Mudd.
Thanks for the help. Like to see your rigs when fitted.
Cheers

Should be receiving my summit racing wheels this week. Following your lead since they look so good on your rig. Exactly what I was envisioning. Hope they turn out as nice as yours. Local powder coating company wanted $75 per wheel before taxes!! Going to rattle can as well. I'll post up some pics when complete.

Cheers and thanks again!

Sorry for the delay, long shifts-summer is here.
I like most of all about the wheels other than they are 16x7, is the smooth look without the cut outs (slits) seen on most wheels. I could of gone with a wheel from https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/c-2285-factory-oem-steel-wheels_Toyota-landcruiser.aspx that looked like a Chevy wheel or close to the Toyota wheel but the smoothie is as it says "smooth looking" . Yeah, $75 is a lot per wheel. You get a better looking wheel with power cote but done right a few coats of rattle can with the nice primer they put on will look just fine. Just make sure that you clean the surface of oils and contaminates prior to painting. I used almost a can per wheel, 1-2 hours between layers while tacky, non dusty room, and then I bake them in a old oven that my buddy has to give them a hard shell (bake on) for about 5 minutes at 350 deg. Seems to work.
All in all I am pretty happy with the wheels from Summit .
Sooke, would like to see the out come when your done, just take your time when painting as the weather up in your neck of the woods produces a bit more moister, so a bit more work and paint pays off.
Good luck.

EmptyName_173.jpg

EmptyName_183.jpg

EmptyName_179.jpg

Thanks guys as said the wheels were the last of this build, I hope.
Scrapdaddy, how's that rig going and how the wheels work out? Considering a FJ55, maybe.
Cheers

Love2fly,

The body parts are getting painted as we speak, then the body gets it. The wheels and tires are waiting the call to action. I'm excited.

Excellent :bounce: :clap:

Sorry for the delay, long shifts-summer is here.
I like most of all about the wheels other than they are 16x7, is the smooth look without the cut outs (slits) seen on most wheels. I could of gone with a wheel from https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/c-2285-factory-oem-steel-wheels_Toyota-landcruiser.aspx that looked like a Chevy wheel or close to the Toyota wheel but the smoothie is as it says "smooth looking" . Yeah, $75 is a lot per wheel. You get a better looking wheel with power cote but done right a few coats of rattle can with the nice primer they put on will look just fine. Just make sure that you clean the surface of oils and contaminates prior to painting. I used almost a can per wheel, 1-2 hours between layers while tacky, non dusty room, and then I bake them in a old oven that my buddy has to give them a hard shell (bake on) for about 5 minutes at 350 deg. Seems to work.
All in all I am pretty happy with the wheels from Summit .
Sooke, would like to see the out come when your done, just take your time when painting as the weather up in your neck of the woods produces a bit more moister, so a bit more work and paint pays off.
Good luck.

Here is the final product! Thank you very love2fly. You led the way!! Tires are Toyo M55 255/85/R16
2014-05-23 09.50.15_resized.jpg

How much lift do you have on that HJ61? Any tire rub? I'm about to run that same tire size.

2.5" OME suspension lift, not a chance of any tire rub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom