Necessary handle length for a 3/4" breaker bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
Last edited:
Always have an extra piece of pipe available, usually about 36" long (1 meter) that is large enough to fit over the handle of whatever tool you are using.

My sorry ass craftsman 1/2" breaker bar survive removal of the crank bolt with starter method.
@Wayne - the question is; are you tooled up to torque that biltnto 304lbft?

Be wary of that small nipple on the aft side of the radiator while doing this job. I wasn't and end up breaking it clean off.

Last edited:
baselfish, good catch. I did list a 1/2" breaker bar in the link, that has been corrected.

So your gunna be tight enough w a biggass wrench, or set it to spec at 304 #ft?

That one will do. Even shorter if you like (Craftsman 3/4 drive 18" handle). Something that will fit in your toolbox when you are done. You are going use a cheater pipe anyway.

Just make sure to get 3/4" drive and that the tool is of good metal (no Chiniseum)

I'm going to torque it to specs using a 3/4" Torque wrench if I can borrow one locally. None of the parts stores have a rental torque wrench that large. I don't want to spend the money to buy one that I'll only use very infrequently.

+1 on the quality tool, 3/4" is better than the 1/2" Craftsman breaker bar I bent then snapped the socket mount off of while loosening my rear panhard bar. Things always get exciting when steel snaps. :censor:

You guys need to stop screwing around with those kids toys, and step up to some man size tools, Ha Ha. Here are some photos of my 1 inch drive, 1000 foot pound torque wrench. So you can get an idea of it's size, next to it is a tape measure extended out over 6 feet.
upload_2017-3-15_20-0-13.png

upload_2017-3-15_20-3-59.png

The thing next to the tape is an adapter i made to hold my Land Cruiser's crank pulley, It bolts to the pulley, then as you turn the pulley the adapters "arm" butts up against the frame, keeping the pulley from turning, you can use it to both remove, and install that pulley bolt to 304 foot pounds. The reason i made it, is because I'm not to crazy about using my starter to bust that crank bolt lose.
upload_2017-3-15_20-2-2.png

And last, for the really tight bolts, is my 1200 foot pound, 800 to 1 gear reducer, lets just say it makes short work of those stuck on bolts.
upload_2017-3-15_20-2-54.png

You guys need to stop screwing around with those kids toys, and step up to some man size tools, Ha Ha. Here are some photos of my 1 inch drive, 1000 foot pound torque wrench. So you can get an idea of it's size, next to it is a tape measure extended out over 6 feet.
View attachment 1421632

View attachment 1421636

The thing next to the tape is an adapter i made to hold my Land Cruiser's crank pulley, It bolts to the pulley, then as you turn the pulley the adapters "arm" butts up against the frame, keeping the pulley from turning, you can use it to both remove, and install that pulley bolt to 304 foot pounds. The reason i made it, is because I'm not to crazy about using my starter to bust that crank bolt lose.
View attachment 1421633

And last, for the really tight bolts, is my 1200 foot pound, 800 to 1 gear reducer, lets just say it makes short work of those stuck on bolts.
View attachment 1421634
800 to 1!? Wow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom