NC LX becomes NC LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cleaned everything before I put the tank back in. Underneath is in really nice condition, some surface rust on a few edges but nothing a few min of sanding can't take care of with a rust converter. POR15 the underside and then raptor lined everything else. Before the tank install Even did Fluid Film inside the of the closed sections.

AC48059D-5550-46F6-BD19-BF682BF73621.jpeg
40B08AC2-6F2C-475A-9C35-43CD5B55A273.jpeg

I dragged the old frame out of the woods to rob the recalled gas tank. It's in really nice shape. Even the rubber was still flexible.
394051BA-66A5-42F9-9EE3-B03FBFA7EDBF.jpeg
EDB549F8-D47A-458E-9166-DC30F1B4ED5A.jpeg

Tank is in. Getting down to the short list. I think this week I may be able to crank the engine and go have exhaust done.
309F64C8-CF11-48F5-92BF-CD15AB95EEE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Had to head back early from camping last week because Cinderella had a fever. Apparently she wasn’t to sick to install new hydraulic lines. Maybe she couldn’t bear the thought of taking the Ram to meet up with other Cruisers. What ever it was she had no problem sitting on my head “helping”
4A4F51B4-3DFB-4A00-B22F-8D6EB928FB8B.jpeg

Glad I had the help because I after 6 months I was able to crank the engine. The unrestricted 2F sounds pretty good. As soon as fuel got to the carb It came to life.

The slave cylinder rubber line I had is about an inch to short. I was reading I may be able to use a t-100 rear brake line. Gonna search the part stores this weekend to see if there something on the shelf.
A56FDA15-6669-4D6A-AFB9-93C3F380E7B7.jpeg

Had to head back early from camping last week because Cinderella had a fever. Apparently she wasn’t to sick to install new hydraulic lines. Maybe she couldn’t bear the thought of taking the Ram to meet up with other Cruisers. What ever it was she had no problem sitting on my head “helping”
View attachment 2813316
Glad I had the help because I after 6 months I was able to crank the engine. The unrestricted 2F sounds pretty good. As soon as fuel got to the carb It came to life.

The slave cylinder rubber line I had is about an inch to short. I was reading I may be able to use a t-100 rear brake line. Gonna search the part stores this weekend to see if there something on the shelf. View attachment 2813320

Princess dresses as PPE would make taking your car to a shop much more entertaining.

lil princess power! 💪✨ Does this mean we get to see y'all next weekend? Or are you headed elsewhere?

lil princess power! 💪✨ Does this mean we get to see y'all next weekend? Or are you headed elsewhere?
I wish but Unfortunately no. There’s still so much to do before I can make that trip. I’m thinking maybe New Year’s Eve camping trip.

I went back to spring under with the 63” springs for now. Used part of the DObisons spring with the Chevy spring. I’m going to move the shackle mount down under the frame and that should give me enough to get the stance right.

I’ve been driving it around close to the house. It’s going for exhaust in the morning and then to a body shop to align the gaps. Not sure how long that will take.

08DF2FF4-9C99-43A4-B3F1-8B1A3115FE3A.jpeg

I think we need to park Camo next to yours and ponder over this plan of yours with a few brews. There's a gap somewhere that we can correct and bring you back to the SOA world.

I think we need to park Camo next to yours and ponder over this plan of yours with a few brews. There's a gap somewhere that we can correct and bring you back to the SOA world.
I’ll be back. I think the answer is 3 link and air shocks to dial in the front to match SOA rear.

Well after a few month of sitting at the body shop waiting I found out the body guy unfortunately has cancer and will be out a few more months.

I have another shop lined up but while I wait I went and got the 60.

this 60 degree weather inspired me to pull the 60 around pull some parts out of storage.

CF41440E-E853-4CFA-A128-375E2A1DC329.jpeg

Finally down to a bare housing positioned in place. After a year, I'm finally getting to open boxes that have been waiting. Opened the Marlin Hi steer kit and loosely bolted it up to help position the axle. If all works out WB should be right at 111"

I purchased a MAF Shackle reversal a while back as well. Currently have it mocked in place. Im pro SR when done correctly but I hate how low the MAF hang. It doesn't look to bad with the bumper but Im still leaning toward making my SR kit to get the mounts up close to the frame.

When I clean up the original front springs and mock them in place it will help me decide the height of the of the mounts.

C3EEB9EC-2ABF-4B97-BAE1-40E88FEEACF9.jpeg
C2A1D6BB-CEE9-4F7A-A37B-5405F451D264.jpeg

Check out Matt's SR. Frenched the shackle hanger to get the nose down. He had to trim a body mount, but the height reduction looks very much worth it. And I'll suggest painting those steering links sooner than later. Mine got the I'll-do-that-one-day treatment and now have a very Camo-esque patina. I don't think that's the look you're going for here, ha.

Check out Matt's SR. Frenched the shackle hanger to get the nose down. He had to trim a body mount, but the height reduction looks very much worth it. And I'll suggest painting those steering links sooner than later. Mine got the I'll-do-that-one-day treatment and now have a very Camo-esque patina. I don't think that's the look you're going for here, ha.
I found @cruisermatt Build. Tonights light reading will be 109 pages. His stance is perfect.

I need to spend more time over on the 60 threads. May be time for a 60 build thread over there.

Referencing Builds - Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cruisermatts-fj62-build-up.760967/page-73 post 1,451. It look like I ordered the same spring mount. Nice to see proof of concept instead of an idea in my head.

Last edited:
Productive week with a few snags. I've set up a much lower version of a shackle reversal and have the front of the 60 on it’s on weight. Spring hangers are 1/4" thick for the FJ60 from Ruffstuff. Jack stands under the front axle with mounts tacked in place. Shackle Angles within .8 degrees of each other. Front springs are 60 rears flipped. Compressed they come out to ~48".

E559FD82-A77D-45FC-A584-D28B90ADA023.jpeg

I forgot to order shackles; the solution I came up with was to use the front spring hangers off the 86 frame, box them and relocate behind the front axle. I’m using the anti-inversion shackle I had. When I get around to boring through the frame like the mini truck guys, a 7” shackle should keep my castor from changing. Pretty happy with how they turned out considering I found an acceptable solution from what I had. The price was right.
BA73018C-31C4-4C48-8B8E-6D71218B1CD5.jpeg
B2642F27-7FF4-4BD7-9B43-C8F93CDBDA6C.jpeg

241A9401-359F-4F4A-B59A-A64236C3414C.jpeg

2nd snag was the spring plates that the unbolts go through. I forgot to order them. Ruffstuff’s spring over axles kits were out of stock so I had to piece together a kit. My simple solution was to redrill the OE 60 plates for 3” u-bolts. This actually worked out perfect because It raised my shock location so I’m able to use the shocks that came with the 2.5” kit. This will get me by till In the future when Im able to budget for a nice shock set up.
885ACF05-D8D5-49DB-8316-49B0EAC4E1B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Seems like a good time to introduce “Jack”
As in “you don’t know Jack” or don’t whisky taste at Jack Daniels distillery and buy rusty 60s. ( Thanks @AJR ) We’ll how ever we got here, it’s now A little rusty but Trusty.

This is what you get when you take an 83 body and frame out of the junk yard , destin for the crusher and combine it with and rusty mechanically solid 86. I now refer to it as an 84 1/2 when people ask. It’s sprung over with ARBs, 4.88s, and 37s. Rear axle is from a 97 LX450. Front leaves are reversed rear leaves from the 83 and the rear is 63” Chevy springs.

Howell fuel injection is on the way as well as few other goodies from Wits End.

I drove it out of the garage today. Lots of little thing to button up. Today is a victory I shall celebrate tonight when I pour a little Jack with Jack.

BF9FD2C3-C92E-4675-9E52-B540592C3EED.jpeg

9833B891-DD6C-44CE-9CA1-309FC2804579.jpeg

Last edited:
That is a perfect stance for rolling in 37s.

Too bad I already bought the 4 inch lift as well as the 35s and rims from another project to use on mine.

I would of liked to get started on mine this summer but it’s going to have to wait for a little longer.

Looks good! Can’t wait until we can get all of our 60 series together for a trip!
I know Looking forward to getting it out.
That is a perfect stance for rolling in 37s.

Too bad I already bought the 4 inch lift as well as the 35s and rims from another project to use on mine.

I was in the same situation. Had a set of 35s and a full Dobsons kit. The only thing I used was the shocks and u bolts.

Drive it a little farther...to the meeting tomorrow.

Wasn’t sure if it was tomorrow or the 30th but I like where your head is at.

Called insurance and told them the situation, was told that because the glass was damaged after I put full coverage on it when I bought it they could put front glass in it for $100. Small victory. There coming next Wednesday for install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom