Navigation system hacks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would consolidate this info. Information provided for off-road or show use only :D

Playing DVDs while in motion:
Remove head unit, unplug wire harnesses.
Depending on your harnesses, find two wires:
1) Parking brake wire. Find the red/white wire (parking brake). This is a thin red wire with a white strip down the length of it. Strip this wire and ground it.
2) Speed sensor wire. Find the violet (bluish-pink) with dashes on it. Simply cut this wire. THE BRIGHT PINK WIRE TWISTED WITH A BLUE WIRE IS THE WRONG "VIOLET".
Put the head unit back in.

Tapping video for other monitors:
1) Take a regular RCA cable, cut off the connector on one end.
2) Separate the longitudinal braided wrap (aka outside conductor) from the center.
3) Run the outside conductor to a ground
4) Connect the center conductor to a wire tap connecting it to the red spotted video cable on the back of the unit*.
5) Run the cable to the video screen.
* The signal is weak; you may want to add a video amplifier.
* The nav unit has 4 connectors on the top of the nav unit. Video is the red wire with gray spots (no line on it either) on the right most connector when facing the front of the nav unit, i.e., closest to the passenger side.

Using nav system while in motion (software override)
-- Generation 2 (2000-2001) --
1. Press MENU
2. Press SYSTEM OPTION
3. Press top left of screen, bottom left, top left, bottom left, bottom right to access hidden menu.
4. Press and hold OVERRIDE until it beeps.
5. Press BACK to exit.

-- Generation 3 (2002-2003) --
1. Press MENU
2. Press DVD
3. Press top left of screen, bottom left, top left, bottom left, bottom right to access hidden menu.
5. Press BACK to exit.

-- Generation 4 (2004-2006) --
1. Press MENU
2. Press VOLUME
3. Press top left of screen, bottom left, top left, and bottom left to access hidden menu.
5. Press BACK to exit.

Upgrading your Navigation system from Generation 2/3 to 4:
See this thread.

Last edited:
Thought I would consolidate this info. Information provided for off-road or show use only :D

-- Generation 4 --
1. Press Menu button.
2. Press Volume button.
3. Press top left, bottom left, top left, and bottom left of screen.
4. A new screen will appear with multiple buttons. Press and hold the one titled "override"--it will change colors and BEEP.
5. Press BACK to exit.

See this thread.

Is the 4 gen overide something you do each time or one time?

The software override has to be done each time you restart the vehicle. Still trying to locate the Gen 2/3 override.

-- Generation 4 --
1. Press Menu button.
2. Press Volume button.
3. Press top left, bottom left, top left, and bottom left of screen.
4. A new screen will appear with multiple buttons. Press and hold the one titled "override"--it will change colors and BEEP.
5. Press BACK to exit.

See this thread.

I thought I would post the warning for this override. Be very careful when using it and make sure you hit only the buttons you intend to hit. Hitting the wrong buttons (especially in the override screen) can cause the nav ecu to lock up and the only way to fix is to replace the ecu. Not warranty - because toyota/lexus know it only happens when you try to bypass.

That being said I use this on my wife's IS250 all the time. Just wanted to let anyone who uses it you can do some irreversible damage.

I'm not sure what buttons need to be hit either, so don't just go poking around.

Thanks for the info, cool to know!:cheers:

Gen-3 override is MENU=>DVD=>top left=>bottom left=>top left=>bottom left=>bottom right to access the override screen. The only other button I've pushed is the GPS (gives you azimuth/elevation of satellites and whether you're locked onto the signal, Lat & Long but no elevation unfortunately).

I was wondering what the other buttons do - glad I did not experiment. The only time I had the nav system lock up was when I was stopped at a traffic light and began entering the destination (this was before I knew about the override). Anyway the light changed just as I pressed the enter button, and as the LC creeped forward the whole system just locked up - I got nothing but static on the screen. I was VERY CONCERNED to say the least, but after turnng off the engine, ejecting the DVD, restarting the engine and inserting the DVD again (sort of like rebooting a computer) everything worked fine.

I wonder what would have happened if I had just brought the LC into a Toyota dealer - Sir your nav unit is corrupted, that will be $5000 to replace plus labor!!!

Here is what I found that works on the 01/02 LX470 NAV posted in another NAV thread.

I found how to override the 2001 NAV (mine is Gen 2) based on Steph23's instructions - though it is a bit different than the 03:

1. Press MENU then select SYSTEM OPTION
2. Perform the 5 point hidden button routine: Top Left, Bottom Left, TL, BL, BR.
3. The Debug Diag screen displays with blue buttons
4. Press OVERRIDE DRIVE button (it turns from blue to green)
5. Press BACK (upper right)
6. Override is effective until ignition is turned off.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Updated, thanks.

I know this thread has been around for a while. I have a 2007 Highlander and would like to know more about the navigation system and some of the overrides available. Are some of the current threads applicable to my system?
Also, is the latest version of the map software released yet?
Thanks.
thomasip

Hi, I have a Prado 2005 (Land cruiser 120) with Navigation system in Europe. Does anyone nows how can I override my navi system and how can I plug a car pc or a dvd in the touch screen?

Thanks
Mike

How about a 2006 RX330? Is the RX Nav system the same as the Gen 6?

Can you do the override while driving?

Phil

I believe that is still the Gen4 nav.

Just got a 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser. Has the new Navigation system with the front dash DVD player. I can view the dvd when parking brake is on and I am slower than about 1 mph. Anybody know how to override that so my passenger can watch movies while we drive?
Also wondering if there is an override for the new 2007 Navigation system so I can control the system while we are moving?
Thanks
Bones

this is my first cruiser and I am new to this computer stuff. WHat page do I do the upup downdown left right left right b a, start. Where on the screen exactly do I do this?
thanks
Bones

:doh:

its a joke, its an old school video game code.

sorry about the mixup :frown:

Contras?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom