Navigation generations interchangeability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On a lark, I stuck an '05 LC nav unit (gen 4) into an '02 LX (gen 2/3). It worked fine in the LX, the LC gave a "no unit found" error. The 4th gen has 7 molexes, whereas the 2nd gen only has 3. 3 of the molexes are identical, which is why they were interchangeable, but apparently one of the 4 unplugged 4th gen molexes is necessary. I was also using different data versions, which the LX swapped back and forth with no problem.

I don't know what use this info is to anyone... but I guess the key points are:

1. Gen 4 can be retrofitted into a Gen 2/3 system/head unit.

2. Retrofitting does NOT give you the expanded INFO screen (instant mpg, etc). This probably relates to the 4 other molexes.

3. Toyota and Lexus cpu's are interchangeable, as are data discs. The boot screen is apprently embedded in the display/head unit ROM.

So I'm not sure if there are any non-data related differences (faster route calculation maybe?) in generations, but there you go.

My next project is merging data versions of different dvds.

Last edited:
November is the new 6.1 data update. Price is around $290 I believe.

Do you know of any way to program or override the nav so it doesn't display that "I agree" disclaimer upon bootup by default?

Jim, the only method I know of is from http://www.coastaletech.com/ . I believe they bypass it by auto-pressing it rather than not displaying it. Coastaletech also lets you input while in motion, like the System > TL, BL, TL, BL, BR bypass, so I'm betting they just drop a string of inputs on boot. There are a couple of other forums I'm on where people are digging into the KIWI files on the dvds to see if it's in there, but my personal suspicion is that it's in the display/head unit ROM along with the boot screen.

Small update. Apparently the Gen 2/3 nav unit DOES work in the '05 w/ the Gen 4 head unit. Then G4 cpu has a second cpu bolted on, which I had originally overlooked. It is labled "Parking Assistance", and seems to only control the backup camera system. Once I took this off the G4 cpu bracket and hooked it up w/ the G2/3 cpu it worked just fine. The only downside is that one of the 05 molexes is Bluetooth, so that functionality isn't available.

So I guess the only value this information might be is:

a) updating a G2/3 system to G4 is doable.
b) a defunct G4 system can be replaced by a cheaper G2/3 (fleabay) system if you don't care about Bluetooth AND the secondary cpu (Parking Assist) is still available.

Other tidbits/deductions:

1) The head unit is where the interface/OS resides. This includes audio, climate, and boot screen. It also includes G4 specific screens, such as the expanded INFO.
2) The cpu has map information, and the interface "skin", as well as Bluetooth.
3) The secondary cpu is only for the backup camera but is REQUIRED for a G4 system to operate. Possibly a pin could be shorted to trick it, but the only use that would have is if your secondary G4 cpu were shot.

I'm also calling BS on the whole "once you put an update disc in you can't rollback". I swapped these units back and forth a couple of times as well as swapping data versions (1 & 2.1 w/ the G2/3 and 4.1 & 5.1 w/ the G4). I had no problems. You do get an intial "Updating System" notification on cpu and/or disc change, but that's all. I'm going to guess that's several things being uploaded: interface skin; indexes; and screen options.

Hey, is there any way to add a rear camera functionality to a '03 LC/LX? I presume it can't be done w/ the Gen3 nav since it's missing one of those molex plugs, right? Can it be done w/ a gen4 unit? Is there any way to get the gen4 interface/screen layout in a 03 short of swapping to a gen4 nav unit? (I guess it makes no sense to swap in a gen4 dvd into the gen3 unit...probably wouldn't work?)

Hey, is there any way to add a rear camera functionality to a '03 LC/LX? I presume it can't be done w/ the Gen3 nav since it's missing one of those molex plugs, right? Can it be done w/ a gen4 unit?

I'd had to say probably not. For OE-type integration, you'd have to find one of those "Parking Assist" cpus, and figure out the wiring and camera install. I would think an easier method would maybe be just hooking a camera up to a Lilliput screen and mount it. I personally don't care for the backup cameras.

Is there any way to get the gen4 interface/screen layout in a 03 short of swapping to a gen4 nav unit? (I guess it makes no sense to swap in a gen4 dvd into the gen3 unit...probably wouldn't work?)

Yeah, a G4 data dvd won't work with a G2/G3 unit. What interface/screen layouts are you looking for? I think the quick answer is you'd need a G4 cpu.

Jim,

Per this thread it appears you can add a backup camera. Which really throws into question what the secondary "Parking Assist" cpu was...

Finding a camera that's a decent price will be the tricky part. Those SAVV cameras are anywhere from $140-$225 now.

Also, if the reverse sensor wire is a question mark.

I ordered the JDM microphone kit to hook up to my nav, I'll give this a try after that.

Last edited:
JDM microphone kit install was successful. My LX now has Gen 4 nav w/ voice.

I ordered the kit here for $50 + shipping.

Doubt I'll do the backup camera. Asked the wife about, and she is ambivalent. I did realize, though, that you could probably tap the mirror-tilt reverse sensor to trigger the cam, if you do end up trying to install it.

0.dat

JDM microphone kit install was successful. My LX now has Gen 4 nav w/ voice.

I ordered the kit here for $50 + shipping.

Doubt I'll do the backup camera. Asked the wife about, and she is ambivalent. I did realize, though, that you could probably tap the mirror-tilt reverse sensor to trigger the cam, if you do end up trying to install it.

0.dat

Is this what I need to order to update my 2001 nav system? I did not understand 1/2 of what you typed. I need the "dumbed down" version please.

Does this upgrade your maps and stuff too?

In regards to the nav dvds, what other lexus vehicles have compatible dvds with our unit; for example, possibly an IS250/350? Are they all interchangable, or only certain models?

The DVDs are compatible with their corresponding generation unit. The new IS has the Gen5 unit, so it's not compatible with your '02 LX (Gen2).

I would guess that the G2, G3, and G4's are all interchangeable. G5 is hard to say because I believe the screen size is changed drastically.

2007 Highlander Navigation System

Hi,
I am new to this forum and have recently purchased a 2007 Toyota Highlander. I would like to disable the "I agree" so I don't see it every time I start the car. I would also like to make it where I can change the destination, etc., when my wife is driving the car. Last but not least does anyone know when the new US map will be available?
Thanks for your help.
Thomasip :bounce:

aedington.

is this 'gen 5' the newer and brighter look that's in our 06 prius? if so, screen size is the same.... it does appear that the prius screen is higher resolution though. i guess that appearance could be due to the nav disc itself. gonna have to swap 'em and see what happens.

anyone else do this?

jp

_JP_, I may be wrong, but I believe the '06 Prius still has the Gen 4 navigation cpu; however, it has a higher resolution screen. You'll also see from my previous notes that it is my opinion that the front-end of the nav system is stored in ROM located in the head unit.

I would guess that swapping the 06 Prius cpu w/ the 07 LX cpu will do... nothing :)

IIRC, the Gen5 is currently found in the IS, ES, LS, and RX350.

aedington.

by front end i assume that you mean the way it looks on the display? i think i'll talk to my lexus dealer and ask if i can make the LX nav output look more like the prius. probably not as the screen on the prius is higher res, but we'll see.

so gen 5 will be the new 10" screen they'll have in the 08's? mainly just screen size difference or will it somehow function differently as well?

jp

Right, but the front-end is not only the way it looks (the skin), but the menu trees and screens. I.E. if you took you swapped your Prius and LX cpus, your Prius would still have the Fuel Consumption screen.

I *think* the main functional differences are that G5 offers Spanish now (previous versions offered English & French), supposedly is faster on route calculation, and has more POIs.

Obviously the POI data is tied to the data disc, not the nav unit. I did notice G4 was faster on route calc than G2/3.

I would say that the #1 difference is visual. G5 doubles the screen res (400X240) to 800X480 and the color depth jumps from 256 to 32K. What we're seeing is very akin to the late 80's move in computer monitors going from VGA to SVGA; in that you needed both a video card and monitor that were both capable of SVGA displays.

god my head hurts reading this thread.

ok, so basically you can put a G4 into a G2/G3 OEM truck, but some stuff doesnt work. The only reason i can see in switching to a G4 unit is resolution and quicker response???

is this right??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom