Navigation system hacks (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The only thing that the trip sensor wire does is tell the computer whether your vehicle is moving or not for purposes of graying out the menu. It will not disable anything else on your system.

Not..O.K..

Did that "hack" a few times on the 03. Found the Override button with no problems. Hit the back button and then what?

- Should the DVD be playing in the background already?
- Should the DVD in question be loaded in between the seats in he changer, or in the rear console to display in the front?
- I did manage to hear the intro part of the "Concert DVD"..

I ran the process about 3-4 times with no image.

Update me please..

Thanks,

Did that "hack" a few times on the 03. Found the Override button with no problems. Hit the back button and then what?

- Should the DVD be playing in the background already?
- Should the DVD in question be loaded in between the seats in he changer, or in the rear console to display in the front?
- I did manage to hear the intro part of the "Concert DVD"..

I ran the process about 3-4 times with no image.

Update me please..

Thanks,

in order for you to see the DVD while in motion, you must take the head unit out as mentioned in this post, snip a wire, and ground another before it will show the video..all you did was enable some nav functions that are disallowed during driving...ie make an appoinment in your calendar, and edit routes in the nav during the drive.....

DVD modification

I just discovered this site last night as I was looking for a way to mod the DVD so I could use it while in motion. This thread was a fantastic reference. So first of all, thanks for the great info.

I've modified my 2005 Land Cruiser exactly as described in this thread and the mod definitely worked. The only problem I've noticed is that my break light is always on now. Not a big deal, but I wonder if anyone might have an idea as to why the break light remains on? Obviously, I've checked to make sure the parking break was not engaged. I soldered my ground wire to the exposed portion of the red/white wire, covered it up with tape, crimped and soldered a connector on the ground wire, and attached it under a screw on the metal frame of the navigation head unit. I have not disconnected the battery. I do wonder if my point of ground was not the best choice, but it sounds like I did what others did as well.

On a side note, the reason I wanted to do this was not so much to watch movies, but I wanted to use the DVD as a music source. I found an application called Goland DVD Audio Creator with which I could convert my MP3s to a DVD Video disc. With DVD Audio Creator it was a snap. I could add my albums of MP3s, add the album artwork, and produce a DVD that has a menu of all the albums and songs. I think I got about 45 albums on one disc, and the audio quality is much better than my lousy iPod FM transmitter.

Thanks for any advice you might have on my break light issue!

well i have done the unthinkable. I have locked up my system I have gen 3 navigaiton system but I refuse to believe that I have to buy a new computer. Some one please help I can't afford the high cost of ecu replacement.

It's a lot more helpful if you tell us what you did to lock it up.

To: LCscott

LCscott,

After a DVD hack, the parking brake light will stay on, as this is what happens when you ground the parking brake wire. This makes the computer think that your parking brake is engaged, a prerequisite for making the DVD work. The other prerequisite is making the speed sensor believe that you are not moving. This was done by cutting this wire. Hope this helps.

I did the hack on my 04 LX470, parking light does not stay on, trip information is still perfect as is GPS data.

It's a lot more helpful if you tell us what you did to lock it up.
I went into the override menu and switched countries from JP to US and the touch screen function does not work. It will work when I search for dealers but it will not let me us my navigation system normally. I can not get back in to the override menu anymore to change it back. Basically it has rendered my navigation system unusable

marcvp- THANKS for the pic's. I just did it in 30 minutes. Now off to change the oil...

Thanks Again!

if u cut and ground the wires to allow DVD on the run will it also allow nav on the run.

I know this thread has been around for a while. I have a 2007 Highlander and would like to know more about the navigation system and some of the overrides available. Are some of the current threads applicable to my system?
Also, is the latest version of the map software released yet?
Thanks.
thomasip

Go away Highlander owner..... :mad:

hahaha

I've got a 2004, and so I tried the Version 4....... got to the over ride functions etc by that method. Then I looked at "Version", and it says I have 3. So that is a bit confusing.

Mine didn't allow the video to play in motion. You could hear the sound, but no video. Seemed to allow using POI and other screens for destinations however.....

Ok now that's weird. When I looked at 'version', it said 3, but my screen set up is a version 4. So maybe I was looking at some other software version for a different part of the system.

Can you tell me which wire?

I have a 2003 TLC 05/03 to be exact

I snap a picture

Can anyone point out which wire?

Thanks
P1010786.jpg

according to MARCVP's image, I think it is the 2nd group from the right with black electrical tape.

Then I know which RED/WHITE to ground.

But which Violet is it?

I have another picture to show the detail.

Thanks
P1010790.jpg

Didn't wanna start a new topic.. i've got the dvd navigation in my 04 LC100 with the 6 disc CD changer.

Is it correct when you have/buy the 6 disc DVD changer you can view movies and play mp3 etc? Is that plug and play or do you need different cables etc.

That would be awesome along with the hack.

Can anyone provide me with a picture of the back of their 04 LC Nav? I need to see the plug and what the wiring harness looks like. I remember seeing one somewhere and have loooked with no luck finding it. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom