Navigation system hacks (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DVD hack for 2003

I want to do this in my 2003 to play DVD in motion, err, for show use actually..
Anyway, can anyone confirm that the wire colors are the same in a 2003?

I have all 8 scews out but how the HELL do I get the center console out ?? It doesn't seem to want to budge? Or, do I just somehow take the DVD head unit out without removing the huge console?

Help please:cheers:

Thanks,
Fish!!

Not trying to be an ass, but there are detailed instructions posted on the console removal that I don't want to retype... just search... :)

I want to do this in my 2003 to play DVD in motion, err, for show use actually..
Anyway, can anyone confirm that the wire colors are the same in a 2003?

I have all 8 scews out but how the HELL do I get the center console out ?? It doesn't seem to want to budge? Or, do I just somehow take the DVD head unit out without removing the huge console?

Help please:cheers:

Thanks,
Fish!!

directions above (top of thread) works for 2003 wire colors correct, very easy to do. there should only be 4 long phillips screws to take out (2 top 2 bottom) once you remove the ac vents. whole unit (screen and head unit come out together) no need to mess with console at all.

ive been a lurker on this board for a while now and i just wanted to add that it is damn scary yanking on the trim arond the radio controls in my '04 to try to get to these wires. i have never gotten it off and usually stress myself out after 10minutes and give up...

after seaching I found a little more info. My problem was that I was trying to get at the DVD unit in between the seats, stupid me - anyway, after the revelation that it was the dash console, with the aid of a small puddy knife, it took all of 30 minutes.

Best hack ever - my kids will LOVE it, testing it out and all is fine.

Fish.

after seaching I found a little more info. My problem was that I was trying to get at the DVD unit in between the seats, stupid me - anyway, after the revelation that it was the dash console, with the aid of a small puddy knife, it took all of 30 minutes.

Best hack ever - my kids will LOVE it, testing it out and all is fine.

Fish.

Awesome, glad you got it done!

Thought I would consolidate this info. Information provided for off-road or show use only :D

Playing DVDs while in motion:
Remove head unit, unplug wire harnesses.
Depending on your harnesses, find two wires:
1) Parking brake wire. Find the red/white wire (parking brake). This is a thin red wire with a white strip down the length of it. Strip this wire and ground it.
2) Speed sensor wire. Find the violet (bluish-pink) with dashes on it. Simply cut this wire. THE BRIGHT PINK WIRE TWISTED WITH A BLUE WIRE IS THE WRONG "VIOLET".
Put the head unit back in.

Does anyone know if the wires are the same for the 2005?

Also (sorry) is the 'head unit' the touch-screen & surroundings?

Thanks!! Scored the low-mileage beast this past weekend...

Thought I would consolidate this info. Information provided for off-road or show use only :D

Remove head unit, unplug wire harnesses.
1) Parking brake wire. Find the red/white wire (parking brake). This is a thin red wire with a white strip down the length of it. Strip this wire and ground it.
2) Speed sensor wire. Find the violet (bluish-pink) with dashes on it. Simply cut this wire. THE BRIGHT PINK WIRE TWISTED WITH A BLUE WIRE IS THE WRONG "VIOLET".
Put the head unit back in.

Does anyone know if the wires are the same for the 2005?

Also (sorry) is the 'head unit' the touch-screen & surroundings?

Thanks!! Scored the low-mileage beast this past weekend...
Same question, will this apply to a 2004?
And will you be able to use your phonebook while in motion as well?

What's a suitable ground point for the park break red/white wire?

What's a suitable ground point for the park break red/white wire?

just in case you meant where, you can ground it to one of the 4 bolts that hold in the head unit. i just put a big round lug end on my wire and ran the bolt for the unit through it. works great.

Yep, exactly- thanks.

I did this mod and it works great. I have an 04 TLC so the post below helped a great deal to figure out which wire to cut etc.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16189&st=0&p=101454&#entry101454

I can use the DVD which I will not but most impt. is I can use my phone numbers and fast dial on the road! Thanks all!

Now if I could only manualy enter phone numbers into the phone book like my wife can in her new RX I would be even happier.

Do you have pics or further details on how to hack the DVD? Mostly, I need direction on how to "remove the head unit", as mentioned in the thread.

Thanks

First Timer

First Time Post. Just bought a '01 and would like to do the Nav hack. Can't figure out how to get the nav unit out. Afraid I will bust the trim.

Side note, how do you remove the back of the front seats. Trying to install a headrest dvd player and run the wires through the seats.

Thanks and Go Vols!!!
Tim

First Time Post. Just bought a '01 and would like to do the Nav hack. Can't figure out how to get the nav unit out. Afraid I will bust the trim.

Side note, how do you remove the back of the front seats. Trying to install a headrest dvd player and run the wires through the seats.

Thanks and Go Vols!!!
Tim

front trim - remove airconditioning vents. gently pry the vents out toward you (there are clips that snap into holes in dash, and use something plastic so you wont mess up your vents). rear seat backs have clips at the top of both sides. gently (again) pull seat top towards rear of car to disengage clips.

After much reading of the wiring diagrams that I procured off of the techinfo.toyota.com web site and re-reading the theads on this web site, I was finally able to make this rewiring happen successfully. After doing so, I found that the instructions provided by aedgington on 11/19/06, which I have provided below, need a slight modification for the 2003 LC, at least it did for mine. The below script should work for yours. I have also provided pictures to help you better see what needs to be done. (NOTE: This is not legal to do in Texas and may not be legal in other states as well. As you are likely already aware, you should notdrive while playing video on the front monitor.)

Remove head unit (see pictures Air Vent 1.jpg Head Unit Bolts 1.jpg ) and unplug wire harnesses, as you find necessary to gain access to the wires you will be working on. The wire harness that contains the wires that need to be dealt with is shown in the picture provided. It is the third harness from the right on the top row (see picture Wiring Harness 1.jpg ).

1) Parking brake wire. Find the red/white wire (parking brake). This is a thin red wire with a white strip down the length of it. Strip this wire and ground it. You can see the red/white wire as the second from the bottom left in the picture. All you need to do is remove some of the insulation along the wire and connect another wire to it that you can use to ground it to one of the other bolts on the head unit.

2) Speed sensor wire. Find the violet (bluish-pink) with dashes on it. Simply cut this wire. (NOTE: my violet wire did not have dashes on it. It was plain violet. The violet with dashes was the one that was twisted with the blue wire.) THE BRIGHT PINK WIRE TWISTED WITH A BLUE WIRE IS THE WRONG "VIOLET". Put the head unit back in.

Good luck!
Wiring Harness 1.jpg
Air Vent 1.jpg
Head Unit Bolts 1.jpg

Anybody know if wire colors are the same for an '07 gen 4 (red/white and voilet) Would love to do this mod, but a little nevous givin its a brand new truck.

I would try downloading the electrical diagrams from the Toyota maintenance web site to see which wires are the ones that do the same thing on the new LC. This is what I did when I looked at making this mod on my vehicle. The web link is below:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/

You will need to sign up for a day to get access to the diagrams, which you can download to print out at your leasure later.

Hope this helps.

if i cut the speed sensor wire, does that affect the trip information on the trip info section of the nav menu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom