Mystery locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ERNRAM

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy

Long story but I bought a 69FJ40 earlier this year. I am replacing the front differential / axle with a front disc setup with 3.70s. I recently found a full floater out of a FJ45/HJ47 which I will rebuild with FJ60 rear brake parts and 3.70s.

So when I removed the rear that was in the 69, I noticed it had sway bar mounts and the shock mount was not on the body, so I know it's not original. It must have come out of a fj45 maybe.

When I jacked up the rear end and turned the pinion both wheels rotated the same way. So it seems to be some sort of locker.

Attached are the pictures of the inside of the gears. So it does not seem to be a toyota LDS, but I would like to end the mystery by get it IDed.

Please pile in and provide guidance and clarity

Thanks
Ernie

20210902_073007.jpg

20210902_070851.jpg

Looks like a stock open diff to me. Did you have a driveshaft attached when you spun the wheels? Did you try spinning with one wheel on the ground?

Was the transmission and transfer case in gear when you spun the rear wheels? Besure it's in gear to lock the driveshaft and try it. That block on the pinion is used to keep the inner axles pushed out to hold the C clips in place in the side gears. Looks like open diff in a semi floating rear axle in a Land Cruiser.

:lol:

When I put it on Jack stands and turn the pinion, both turn the same direction

No drive shafts attached

Go put a bungee on one to hold it and see if same thing happens :)
If they both are still turning and won't break free so they spin opposite then you have a seized spider gear which I doubt.

I certainly could be wrong, but that spacer block looks exactly like the spacer block we (Downey Off Road Mfg.) use to give with the LSD units to keep the axles spaced out so they didn't loose the c-clips, does not look like the factory block at all ???

I certainly could be wrong, but that spacer block looks exactly like the spacer block we (Downey Off Road Mfg.) use to give with the LSD units to keep the axles spaced out so they didn't loose the c-clips, does not look like the factory block at all ???
Agree. It looks non stock, but I am no where a subject matter on this topic. Thus the request for guru feedback

Ernie maybe you should just go ahead and disassemble the spiders just for peace of mind. Here’s a pic of my open diff in my 77 before I put a locker in. Get it on jack stands with wheels off as you will need to slide the axles. You can remove the center pin retaining bolt and slide out the center pin running through the block then you can remove the c-clips and the block and spider gears will fall out. IIRC there should be cupped washers under the spiders. You can also check your thrust washers to make sure you are in spec. It looks from your pic like the axles may be in contact with the thrust block. You are supposed to be able to slide a feeler gage in there but I can’t recall those tolerances (min / max) but it’s in in the FSM. I’ve got a pile of thrust washers somewhere in my stash if you find that’s an issue.

8E5FD076-0CF7-4378-A477-4C59D8791347.jpeg

C007C08B-C9CF-4A82-9F33-C370A14239BC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom