My SPOA! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailwerx.com
Bought some sprung over axles from a buddy yesterday and I'm offically happier than a tornado in a trailer park!!!! They're completely built, locked front and rear with 4:88's and chromo Longfield set in the front w/ discs brakes all the way around.

Here's some pics!

Before
jasoncamera047.jpg

During
DSC00563.jpg

DSC00561.jpg

DSC00559.jpg

After!
DSC00570.jpg

Ewwwwwww she's a sessy bitch now!!! :D

Here's the donor. We'll be putting some very badass Elocked built FJ80 axles in it. Should be very cool. I'll put a thread up on it when we get started!

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00569.jpg

Jason

sweet rigs, i like the zuk sitting next to tha garage :D

and has anyone told you "you sure do have a perrrdy cage" ;)

anyway......very cool :cheers:

Nice work! Sweet rig!

I also like the roll cage...need to do that this spring!

Thank's guys. I bought this truck from a guy that I built the cage for a couple years ago. He painted it blue, I'm going to add a few more tubes and pull it out and paint it black.

Now I need some tires, I'm considering running some 3 inch wheel spacers on it :eek: It just seems soooo narrow for the height.

That Zuk is the shizzle. It was my 1st 4wd. It has a set of built Toy. mini truck axles under it w/ a custom re-centerd rear. I sold it a few months ago :doh: I's back at my place getting some work done, I have a good mind to give him his money back and keep it. :lol:

I can't wait to do the 80 axle swap. Those should be badass.

how do you like that tube bender i see in one of the pics?

hae you used it. need to get me one and im looking at the same one

nice rigs

how do you like that tube bender i see in one of the pics?

hae you used it. need to get me one and im looking at the same one

nice rigs

I like it. It's a JD2 model4, All I've used is the JD2 model 3 & 4 so I really can't say how good they are in comparison to others. I like it though, does the job.

I need to move the back axle back a few inches. Does anyone have some suggestions of the best way to do it without fabing new mounts? I heard you can flip the rear springs 180 and gain 2 inches. I'm about to build a rear bumper for it so it would'nt be too hard to make new spring hangers and run longer springs I guess.

I'm gonna be jealous of those 80 axles. I had a chance to get them and now think I'll end up regreting it...

the easiest i say would be like you said, flip the rears, give you some extra inches.

Can't stand those nasty crusty axles so I'm taking them back out, torching off the BS, sandblasting and repainting them.
DSC02041.jpg

DSC02039.jpg

I moved the rear axle back 4 inches also to get ready for bigger tires.
DSC02038.jpg

On to the front!!!

Pic request! Time to buy tires!

resurrecting this dinosaur for some help. The 40 built went on a major hold during a work related move, then subsequent kids, etc., etc., etc.....

All that time I've still been working on it, just not "on it". By that I mean buying parts here and there, and working on drivetrain.

Here's where I'm at now.

The truck is a '72 with SPOA 60 axles built with Longs in the front, Hydro assist steering on 6 shooter knuckles, ARB, 4:88's. Rear is a used 4:88 diff with full Detroit. Discs on all 4 corners.

Chevy Ramjet 350, new TH350 trans, rebuilt D300 case.

All parts have been taken all the way down, sand blasted, and painted.

Outside of the rear diff, the drivetrain is all practically brand new less the Ramjet that came out of my last rig, but has very low miles on it.

So getting ready to assemble.

So here's the thing. the redneck in me wants to run 37's, but the redneck in me is slowly starting to fade away in lieu of a lesser version of redneck.

It's time to buy wheels and tires, and I plan on running polished Mickey Thompson Classic III wheels, and either 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 35" KM2's, or 37" KM2's.

Anyone have pics of sprung over 40's on 35's and 37's so I can get an idea of how it will look? I'm kinda favoring the look of the 35's.

Help a brotha out...

I'll update this thread with pics.

If it were me I'd be inclined to assemble it first. Then when its settled and any adjustments finished I'd decide what is the better fit. Borrow some 35s and try it out. But with 4.88s and a healthy 350 I'd lean towards the 37's, inner redneck or not :meh:

Agree with bc above. At least if it will see much highway time. The 37s really make the highway drives more bearable for me and that's with 4.10s. Not that a sbc is unhappy at higher RPMs it just can get loud fast depending on your exhaust and amount or lack of soundproofing.

Didn't like the back spacing of the marsh racing steelies shown w/ 37s so I'm running some different wheels now but no new pics yet. Profile is the same though. I'm running a manual so the 37s help spread the shifts out too. But is kinda nice and peppy around town when I swap over the 35s and that's what's on it currently

I can handle them both. My underwear budget went up with the 37s but sometimes there just seems like too much room b/w the tire and fender with 35s. I also feel this SOA is taller than my 55 though.

Oh and welcome back :)
image-752220545.jpg
image-3990179424.jpg

Beautiful 40 you have there.

I have a set of 35 BFG AT's and some generic aluminum wheels I can mount. Those will be going on first, so I can actually see the 35's on it.

I forgot I had them, and stumbled upon them the other day digging around in the crawl space.

What does the back look like? My rear fenders are mildly cut, and that's where I expect to see the biggest gap with 35's.

I agree though, the 37's are nice looking. Sucks they are so effin expensive.

Last edited:
Beautiful 40 you have there.

I forgot I had them, and stumbled apon them the other day digging around in the crawl space.

What does the back look like?

Thanks. She takes good pics, just don't look too close ;)
LOL I love it when I find a set of wheels and tires I forgot I had

Back looks way different than yours..... :D
37s then 35s again. Ill have to check camera or cpu for side shots
image-1633638435.jpg
image-3639322011.jpg

Ah. 45.....

I'll throw these 35's together and see what's up. The wheels are ugly as hell, someone tried to paint one of them. Might have to get the junk tires off and clean them up a bit.

Well, they were actually MT's... Two are in good shape, while two are a little worn and dry rotted.

Bummer is, they apparently quit making these in 35x12.50's, or I would just get two new ones and ride out.

Forgot how much I hated this machine... Ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom