My new Yota 84 RCSB 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys I got a new truck last week and i am really excited to begin to build it. I recently sold my family owned 1987 22re 4x4. I was feeling bad sellers remorse because that truck had been part of the family since i was a kid.
After two days of feeling bad for myself I found a 8 hour old add on CL for a 1984 regular cab 22r 4x4. I called the guy and came out with my trailer the next morning to look at it. I was the second person who came to look at it, but was the first person to bring a trailer and not immeditely lowball him as he told me the first guy had done. I paid him his $700 asking price, aired up one tire and after some starting fluid and a jump I drove the truck around his property and onto my trailer.
It is remarkably clean for its age. The cab, frame and undercarrage is rust and dent free, and i mean it. It has been a New Mexico high desert truck its whole life so it rarely sees moisture and never salt. It was originaly toyota cream color but someone in the last 5 or so years gave it a black Krylon treatment. It does have the typical bed panel rust but, beggars cant be choosers, thats what flat beds are for anyways! The truck is remarkably stock; it still sits on 235-75r15 tires, has AC the belt is disconnected but all the components are still there, the radio, lights, fans and switches all work inside the cab!

I powerwashed it and started to do a baseline yesterday to see what I have.
The oil was super dirty and when drained there was definitely a couple of cups of coolant in the oil and it then drained real thick chocolate milk, there was also oily residue on the radiator cap. (full disclosure there was a empty bottle of headgasket sealer under the seat when I first inspected the truck day of purchase, so I had my suspisions)
Yesterday, I bought a new battery and cleaned the corrosion off the brass of the distributor cap and rotor. After I put it back together it would not turn over. On inspection there were 2 vaccum hoses that had become disconnected (in cleaning?) so i retreated to the interweb forums for some advice.
The truck also came with a 84 Toyota FSM behind the bench seat which i now realize is invaluable.
I have been looking at the Vacuum diagram this morning and look to get it started today, maybe I can identify where its(was) leaking oil since i cleaned/degreased the engine bay. I dont know what to expect from the HG sealer? This is a first for me dealing with this. Im looking into a 81-84 22r Engnbldr or LC Engineering rebuild kit and maybe an EGR delete kit on stock carburetor.
As for a new distributor cap and rotor should I go OEM or can I pick them up from napa?
Thanks guys ill post more as I go.
E

IMG_20170801_15257.jpg

IMG_20170801_30771.jpg

I took the VC off to look at the chain guides this afternoon. Other than the frothy oil, the timing chain looks have to been replaced recently. Both guides were still in place and not broken too!
I noticed that the radiator water level had dropped since I filled it 3 days ago. I will add this my the list.

Since I have the FSM I attempted to address the vacuum lines. From what I gathered one or two were hooked up wrong beside the two that were disconnected. I started addressing this when it started to rain so I closed the hood for the evening.

OTOH, I was at my local toyota stealership over my lunch to see about a set of OEM spark plug wires, which were not in stock. The guy at the parts desk told me i would save alot of money if i just ordered the Denso OEM fit spark plug wires from rockauto he said that they were the same.

IMG_20170804_51360.jpg

OTOH, I was at my local toyota stealership over my lunch to see about a set of OEM spark plug wires, which were not in stock. The guy at the parts desk told me i would save alot of money if i just ordered the Denso OEM fit spark plug wires from rockauto he said that they were the same.
They are correct. Denso starters, alternators, Ox sensors, AC compressors/driers/expansion valves, fuel pumps, spark plug wires, spark plugs, are all available aftermarket. Shoot, even wiper blades are Denso. All at a significant discount from the dealer.

I ended up ordering denso plugs and wires and a new distributor cap and rotor from rock auto as well as a new engine gasket set.
The battery it was using was a deep cycle marine battery. It worked but was soo big a bungie cord was keeping it in place. I traded it for a new 24f and put the battery holder back but now it wont turn over, it wants to but no spark. This morning I put the marine battery back and same thing. I checked the fuses under the hood, also on the drivers side kick board. Im running into a snafu. My 84 has cruise control, so there are more fuses and i have yet to find a similar picture /diagram for what I have. I have included pics of both fuse boxes. Any insight or a link to the a diagram of what i have would be nice. I have found several toyota diagrams but they are not what I have under the hood or kick panel (see 3rd pic)

I will be getting a new ohm meter today because my old radio shack meter has snowy corrosion in the battery compartment i think its time for a upgrade.

Any insight would help guys. I need to start it and get it moved to my garage so I can get the head off get her fixed properly and get her back on the road!

IMG_20170818_27457.jpg

IMG_20170818_4128.jpg

IMG_20170818_32575.jpg

Coil or igniter gone bad, possibly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom