My new find... 1999 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know how being in a hurry is. I did the big 3 upgrade. Thanks for the insight I will start with the kick panels.

Dang! You have my respect...taking that entire dash apart.

Not afraid to 'boldly go where no man has gone before'.

Nice documentation as well, thanks for taking the time to share it.

Flint.

Sweet.

Wow, pulling dash, FUN!

Keep in mind you must have fluid in AHC reservoir, all doors closed with OFF not pressed in for AHC to work.

I've pulled apart the steering telescoping motor, cleaned and it worked also. But was weak and it failed again fairly soon. PM if you decided to replace. I've got a new OEM in the box on my shelve of extra parts.

So after reinspecting the master cylinder plunger/ piston, found two knicks in the o-ring. I wonder if that was the issue...

Wow, your attention to detail is inspiring. I have a really faded cowl as well. Can you further explain the relevance of the heat gun? I figured I'd just be painting mine with the wiper arms eventually.

Wow, your attention to detail is inspiring. I have a really faded cowl as well. Can you further explain the relevance of the heat gun? I figured I'd just be painting mine with the wiper arms eventually.
Thanks... I have heard everything from "it rearranges the molecules" to "it melts the top layer of plastic".
Regardless, it works... and it lasts as long as a new part would. Make sure to keep the heat gun moving... it will melt through or warp it.
I also treat all plastic and rubber parts with 303 Aerospace Protectant regularly:

EDIT: After about 6 months the cowl looks faded again.

Last edited:
All of my “belt trim” (I call them outer window scrapers) are in really bad shape. Not only worn through but they are peeling and flaking off. I could have sanded them and plastidipped or painted them but I figured buying new would be the best route.

They sure are nice

Close up. Unlike many other Toyota’s, these have a stainless steel skeleton.

All of the speaker cloth is also torn up so I bought some bulk material to redo those. (Ebay)

My roof rack is rough... very rough. It just so happened in our local LC Facebook group someone posted theirs for free. I am picking that up tonight.
With help from another member I am getting some AHC Suspension Fluid at a little discount tonight, too. Picked up some brake bleeders for the rear calipers.
I have a new telescoping steering column motor somewhere in the mail and some new cabin filters, too.
It will be a busy weekend with the family so not sure how much I will get done.

7573060041 7574060041 7571060061 7572060061Belt Trim
MTM 13906Dorman Brake Bleeders (Rear)
89232-60022Telescoping motor
88568-6001Cabin Filters X2
00272-1LLAC-01Toyota Red Coolant X2
08886-81221AHC Suspension Fluid X4

Last edited:
Thanks... I have heard everything from "it rearranges the molecules" to "it melts the top layer of plastic".
Regardless, it works... and it lasts as long as a new part would. Make sure to keep the heat gun moving... it will melt through or warp it.
I also treat all plastic and rubber parts with 303 Aerospace Protectant regularly:
Very cool, thank you for the info!

Got some more supplies in this week. Cabin Filters, Coolant, AHC Fluid, and telescoping motor.

Got the telescoping motor in and it works perfect. I cleaned the column slide and screw drive and regreased. There was a lot of dog hair and dust in the grease.

I am still dealing with an AC control panel issue. Some buttons work, some don’t, some work sometimes.
I took my LC’s 3 dial panel out and plugged it in and it did not function properly. I plugged my LX’s panel into the LC and it did not function properly. I’ve got some diagnostics ahead of me. I have the FSM so after some diagnostics I will be back on this.

I pulled the roughest door panel (passenger front) and realized it was worn so thin that I need another. I am on the hunt for door panels.

Everything behind the surface is covered in dust and dog hair. The windows roll down slower than my LC and I attribute that to dust in the felts / channels and in the mechanisms. I need to clean all this out.

Had some electrical issues with the house and been raining all week so slow going...

Got some more supplies in this week. Cabin Filters, Coolant, AHC Fluid, and telescoping motor.

View attachment 1916483

Got the telescoping motor in and it works perfect. I cleaned the column slide and screw drive and regreased. There was a lot of dog hair and dust in the grease.
View attachment 1916481

I am still dealing with an AC control panel issue. Some buttons work, some don’t, some work sometimes.
I took my LC’s 3 dial panel out and plugged it in and it did not function properly. I plugged my LX’s panel into the LC and it did not function properly. I’ve got some diagnostics ahead of me. I have the FSM so after some diagnostics I will be back on this.

I pulled the roughest door panel (passenger front) and realized it was worn so thin that I need another. I am on the hunt for door panels.

Everything behind the surface is covered in dust and dog hair. The windows roll down slower than my LC and I attribute that to dust in the felts / channels and in the mechanisms. I need to clean all this out.

Had some electrical issues with the house and been raining all week so slow going...
My LX’s (335kmiles) climate control acts the same. When use the auto dial do the features/fan still adjust?

My LX’s (335kmiles) climate control acts the same. When use the auto dial do the features/fan still adjust?
The large AUTO button does not work at all. The REAR air button, RECIRC /FRESH air button, and MODE button are temperamental. The auto air function works great though.

So I took the day off to go get a new door for our house and took the LX on about a 100 mile round trip with several stops. I threw in a can of BG 44K at fill up. She performed great.

Door fits:

Before I left I blew out both of the front sunroof drains.

I pulled the roughest door panel and I think it is too bad to save. The card behind the vinyl is almost worn through. This truck is extremely dusty behind all the panels. The PO must have had the windows down all the time is a dusty climate.

I found a local yard that had a LC so I decided to check it out. I was hoping to score a 3 dial AC controller. Well that was beat up and all the lower buttons not working so I passed but I did get these:

4 LC door panels, middle headrests, rear air temp sensor and middle seat backs.

Even though the seats had been recovered, the headrests were not (for some reason). The fronts are fine but on the middle row, the foam had separated from the frame. They all bounce around like bobble heads and it is annoying in the rear view. They also did not clean up very good and these were much better.

Side by side comparison between the LX and LC door panels. Yes, I am loosing the wood and leather handle but I couldn’t pass it up. The new LC panels are in much better condition.

While messing with things I realized that my large middle seat would not engage the floor latch. Lubed it and got it working.

Whoever recovered the seats did an awful job. I find little issues all over the place including this. They put the middle seat backs on upside down and screwed them in.

I flipped them but still had to screw them in due to the cover not being long enough to tuck under. While the backs were off I moved some hog rings and pulled some of the edges tighter. Middle seat area is all done.

Put that complete rear air temp sensor in

Scrubbed inside and out all the plastic interior pieces. Again, more dust than I have ever seen in a vehicle.

Scrubbed down the new LC door panels

Last edited:
So on my first real trip on Friday (73 mile round trip) I got the BB rock shot in my good passenger side glass headlight. Eagle Eyes here I come. I was hoping to sell the good one to offset the the cost of the new ones. Dang it.

I also started recovering all the speaker covers on the new door panels.

Here is an example of how dusty this truck is. The license plate light on the left has been cleaned. The one on the right has not. Both lights were out and they were original Kiotos.
Replaced with LEDs.

More speaker recovering...

What are your scrubbing the interior panels and door panels with? Mine are free of scratches and such just really dirty.

What are your scrubbing the interior panels and door panels with? Mine are free of scratches and such just really dirty.

For major one time cleanings I use Dawn and a Plastic Bristled Brush. I spot treat with Purple Power (careful on the top darker colors as the Purple Power will remove the Dye / Paint). Use the Plastic Bristled Brush up and down with the grain of the Vinyl. I used a toothbrush and an old highly worn scrub brush. It is amazing how clean they come out.

On a side note, I also use Dawn on leather seats for major cleanings with a toothbrush.

Of course, treat with protectant afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom