My experience with SOR's carpet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I first want to say that I think SOR is a great company and I've had nothing but good experiences with their customer service and over all great experience with their company.

In fact my entire interior now is SOR related in some way (seat bottoms, leather seats, and now carpet) and I'm very proud of it.

The carpet installation was a lot harder overall to install than I had originally envisioned. Their instructions do a decent job overall of breaking things down. And the carpet itself is of very good quality.

The cut and finish is not as 100% complete as I thought. After installing it, I just accept now that none of these replacement kits are a factory finished. But SOR is pretty damn close.

I think people need to know though that the areas of installation that require a screw to go through the carpet is EXTREMELY challenging and ultimately led to a lot of frustration. The carpet is so thick that even though I awl'ed holes properly and large enough, any single fiber that stuck to a screw would create a run. There was just no way around it. It was quite disappointing to learn this. It's purely the thickness of the carpet that makes it so difficult.

Installation of the cargo area led to 3 runs near the tailgate, but thankfully none on the back of the rear bench where the metal bracket surround the bench back. And my awesome Cruisr Corp rubber mats cover the runs so I'm ok with that. (Those mats are VERY good quality btw). So I can only assume the tailgate runs occurred because those screws are longer, which in turns gives more of a chance for a fiber to catch (no matter how large a hole you awl). From my experience be ready for a run.

And this brings me now to the shift boots. After having gotten 2 runs near the shift boots (SOR's instructions say to bolt the boots down THRU the carpet) I couldn't accept to look at that everyday, especially for the $$$ SOR costs. SOR did work with me to replace the middle section of the front piece for a nominal fee so I could re-attempt my installation. I accept it was my mistake but once a run begins, even trying to back your bolt out will require the run to continue to occur. Aka you're screwed, ha! : )

IMG_2541.jpg

So on my 2nd installation I took a friend's advice and trimmed the carpet just enough to fit perfectly under the shift boot lip that covers the boots bracket. This avoids any screws from going through the carpet and allows the shift boot to be (IMO) positioned on the floorboard to be more aesthetically appealing.

On SOR's site they'll show the shift boot bracket exposed and on top of the carpet. And I'll be damned if I know how they got a shift boot bolt through that carpet without a run. See pic of brown interior (not mine).

IMG_0354.jpg

My interior (see grey pic) shows the shift boot lip completely covering the boot bracket. I still have a few small edges to trim to get the carpet to lay fully flat, but it's 95% there at this time. There are also areas near the seat brackets that need to be re thought of how to get them to lay more flat, so they aren't eye sores the minute you open the door to climb in. But again I'm being picky and I have a perfectionist mentality which isn't always my best quality ; )

IMG_0358.JPG

So to make a long story longer, I would highly recommend avoiding putting any screws through your expensive SOR carpet wherever possible. I do love it and I don't regret the purchase, even though it took 2 months to complete with all the back and forth.

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_2558.JPG

Soldering iron is the key to good clean holes that won't cause runs.

J

Well there you go! : )

Wish I could have found that info in my prior searches of the forums or in SOR's instructions.

or even a hole punch... Thank you for sharing! it does look good...

Ideas welcome on how to to get this section to lay more flat.

IMG_0444.JPG

Ideas welcome on how to to get this section to lay more flat.

View attachment 1390696

Not sure on the SOR kits, but I will venture to say it is similar to mine. I get slight wrinkles, etc. especially right after unpacking them. The carpet will relax to some degree in a matter of a few weeks. Mine are heat molded in that area and I don't typically have an issue there. See pics, right after install. Mine is usually at the transmission hump, but settles with no additional assistance.

I recommend waiting a bit, especially it the weather is on the cooler side. If still not relaxed to your liking, you can steam the section/s to assist in a nicer.

qcdone1.jpg
SAM_2293.JPG

SAM_2281.JPG

Not sure on the SOR kits, but I will venture to say it is similar to mine. I get slight wrinkles, etc. especially right after unpacking them. The carpet will relax to some degree in a matter of a few weeks. Mine are heat molded in that area and I don't typically have an issue there. See pics, right after install. Mine is usually at the transmission hump, but settles with no additional assistance.

I recommend waiting a bit, especially it the weather is on the cooler side. If still not relaxed to your liking, you can steam the section/s to assist in a nicer.

View attachment 1390707 View attachment 1390708

View attachment 1390710

I appreciate the advice. And what kit did you get? It looks great!

The SOR kit is a nice product. I've seen it installed in show rigs and DDs alike. But, just like mine, it takes patience and some OCD to get it perfect.

J

I guess I will continue to use my OCD powers and my wife's clothing steamer to get it to lay fully flat : )

These are the kits I bring in from Perth.

J

If you have info or links please post up. I couldn't find much info or threads at all about carpet other than what was the cheapest out there to buy.

I spent over two years, received 200+ samples and over 500 emails with US and overseas upholstery companies. Finally one of my European vendors put me on to this family run business. I resell these kits and will not disclose my source, sorry.

J

I didn't mean your source. I just meant any info...

Any good tips on how to install the vinyl kit?
I'm going to tackle mine in the next few weeks....

Will do.

Thanks J...!!

So I owned my truck, sold it to Dangler, who installed the seats. Then I bought it back fairly shortly thereafter. He has a thread titled "Updating interior on my 62 - anyone with some advice?"

Find that thread and read through it. He's a stand up guy and did great job redoing the seats. He beat me to the punch and I'm glad he did because they came out quite well. His thread has lots of good info it.

Good luck!

I've always heated an awl and pierced the carpet with that for holes, soldering iron is perfect. A carpet guy taught me to put a little crazy glue around the hole as well. Works pretty well, never had a run with this method.

Please post pics and any install tips you learn. I too have a vinyl kit I need to install. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom