Builds My build thread - Rapido XL..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a really strange first post....

Awesome build!

But you're killing me on not getting the sound clips of the headers!

Will have audio clips up this afternoon - have to get the GF to assist...... it's worth the wait !

that said I've been fighting a series of check engine codes and random lights the past 6 weeks - stearler ship advised on Friday that the air injection pumps were failing..... and that was the source of a driveline vibration I've had since I picked it up ...... sadly the service manager typically work with is on vacation so I jsut had them do the tranny flush and will follow up this week....

but she runs like a top otherwise - just a bit of vibration on hard throttle....

she is going into my Indie shop tomorrow for the gears/lockers and misc suspension stuff and I'll have them pull the codes - truct them a whole lot more then the dealer sadly..... anyone ever have issues with the EGR / air injection ??

E

Very common on the tundra. Check Tundra talk, or Tundra solutions. There is a blanking kit to eliminate the air injection pumps. Cheaper than replacing the valves that go bad. Seemed to be more prevalent in wet climates where water splashed up into the mechanism. Not sure if aftermarket bumpers allow more water intrusion. Post pics and results.

ahhhh....... given that my first wheeling event was mud and 2 feet of water that might fit...... thanks ! I'll be heading over to tundra world....

Love this forum......thanks @TexAZ !!!

E

a few pics - meeting GF shortly to go do video's..... and will post nigh-time pics of the lights...

the Visions' mounting system is rock solid - good thing given how heavy they are ......

Iphone 2.25.17 028.JPG
Iphone 2.25.17 030.JPG
Iphone 2.25.17 031.JPG
Iphone 2.25.17 033.JPG
Iphone 2.25.17 034.JPG

Damn! Those are light cannons! Be careful when driving uphill at night - you might blind air-traffic pilots or the space shuttle!

I'm digging that grill as well. Nice!

yes - they truly are light cannons ! some really bad picures that in no way convey how horrifying these are........ this morning at 330 am I had the chance to turn them on on a TX straight-away........ they lit up signs 2 miles out according to my odo..

First is just lowbeams
Second is the Baja Design Mixed 40" S8 bar....
third with the Cannons...

Iphone 2.27.17 005.JPG
Iphone 2.27.17 005.JPG
Iphone 2.27.17 006.JPG
Iphone 2.27.17 007.JPG

only could get a short clip of the exhaust - got home too late to convince the GF to go find a back road....
but apparently it's too large to load..... ugh.

only could get a short clip of the exhaust - got home too late to convince the GF to go find a back road....
but apparently it's too large to load..... ugh.

You may need to upload the clips to YouTube and put a link here rather than trying to upload them directly to the forum.

that cartoon is perfect ........ no way to convey how much punch they have...... I was on the 6th floor roof hitting office buildings a mile away and able to see inside....

that cartoon is perfect ........ no way to convey how much punch they have...... I was on the 6th floor roof hitting office buildings a mile away and able to see inside....

Man, that seems like a little too much reach...
I want a spot for seeing critters or obstacles at fairly high speed at night, but that seems so far that I wonder if I'd even be able to see them from that distance.

I would love it if a manufacturer would build an adjustable ZOOM feature, much like flashlights. Would be super cool if you could customize your spots for differing speeds, etc. Having two crazy-bright spots a mile or two away seems more distracting to me than anything else.

What is your take on them in terms real world usefulness?

Last edited:
Having two crazy-bright spots a mile or two away seems more distracting to me than anything else.

Wow! Driving in daylight must be a real challenge for you ... :p

Wow! Driving in daylight must be a real challenge for you ... :p

Ya ya... :hillbilly: I like bright. Just wondering how useful it is to see stuff two miles away. I want spots that show stuff up ahead so that I can react fast enough at speed. -Not so far thatI can take a nap before I get to them... ;)

haha - so far limited real world use givne that I'll need wide opne empty TX roads to try them..... but they fully light up the 2 lanes out a mile

the Bar is much wider but these punch way past. up close at 100 yards the beams combined might only be 8 feet wide

They remind me of the aricraft landing lights I had on my old 93' S4.........

E

I'm curious to hear your opinion on them. I don't plan on running auxiliary lights for sometime as I have small kids, so I would rather get them to sleep in the RTT than night wheel.

But once they get older, game on. I used to wheel a lot at night, but technology changes so much, which is why I like hearing people's opinion.

For me, a while ago. I found what @Markuson was mentioning. Really far reaching lighting was fine for race truck that can stay stable while going fast off road, but for production vehicles that stability usually is only able to be on roads.

I found that the inevitable up and down of the front of the truck, with a spot light showing up close on the ground then vanishing out into the distance made my light vision go to hell, and ended up being really hard to see the trail details. I tried adding some powerful flood lights to not make the spots less intense when everything is shinning into the ground on front suspension compression. Yet I ended up changing out the pencil beam spot to about double the width of those ones you got. That helped. But for rocks, I like just the low beams, that way I don't create over exaggerated shadows from rocks.

But that was years ago, so I'm very curious about how these newer lights are doing.

agree that the visions are for road work.... fast road work.... the Baja 40" does all the rest along with the Rigids and some new lights about to get installed... like Markuson says..... right light for the situation... for 100mph+ I want the VisionX's..... most other times the baja's will be running...

for trail work - that solution is about to be installed - hint - lotsa Baja stuff and rock lights.... Had to roll back the gears/lockers this week dsue ot shop being jammed up - but it gives me time to finish off a lot of things as I'm finally not traveling for a few days.... hoping to get the lights/ batteries and misc stuff punched out.

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom