Builds My 78' Barn find FJ45 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

man, shame about the shroud... when i had my stock rad adjusted i sent it in with the shroud and told them how i wanted it routed. came up with this

Radiator Bottom End.jpg

its a bit tight to get the bottom bolt in but doable. and it keeps the rad hosing a decent distance away from the ps pulley

Ah yes, the radiator outlet to PS pulley issue. One of the things that have always bugged me with this swap. I did the same as you on the outlet and ran a slightly smaller fan so i could still use the shroud. That might not be an option in Alabama though...
Every swap i've seen people solved this in a different way.

Looking good by the way. You're seeing the light on the end of the tunnel yet?

Thanks Mark. I'm getting closer. When I complete all of the plumbing I will be about ready to ride. I still need to plumb the heater, PS, fuel, vacuum and AC.

Thanks Jesper. You are correct on the seat placement. I'm not very tall, so getting it higher gives me a better view of the road as well as very comfortable leg position Plus the old seats were worn and would have needed some help before long. I had always admired this type of seat when I was shopping for a 45. So I found a set for my truck last summer to rework and install. Here's a look at the final install and the pedestals I modified for the LHD conversion.

View attachment 1232011 View attachment 1232012 View attachment 1232013 View attachment 1232014
Mike, It was great catching up with you on the phone yesterday and really appreciate your advice on the seat frames. A couple questions...I can see how you modified the right hand side original frame to receive the later model seat. I'm curious how you bolted down the back of the seat rails. Can't see that in the pics. Also, on the left had side, is this your own creation? Reason I ask is the left side is "C" channel and the right side is tube stock with the square section added to receive the front seat rail. Do I have this correct? Also, not sure how difficult it would be, but would like to connect with you in the next week to possibly get measurements/dimensions of the frames. Even if their rough #'s, McGuire and I can fill in the gaps by using the bolt holes (floor) and the seat rails. Lastly, the right seat looks like you flattened out the front tabs on the seat rails. Mine are at a 90 degree angel. Am I seeing this correctly? Also, I've really enjoyed reading your build thread. Sure helps my limited imagination :) as I plan out my build. Thanks again. Jim

Jim it was great talking to you.

1. I welded another cross bar on the right seat frame to bolt the slides down.problem

2. I did create most of the inner leg for the left seat frame. I cut and welded pieces and parts from a 40 seat mount.

3. I can get some measurements for you. No problemo!

4. I did flatten the mounting tabs of the seat rails.

I probably have more pictures on my PC than I have posted on mud. They may help clarify some things for you. I'm glad you enjoyed the read. Call me when you're ready.

x2 on the two-piece/other solution for the shroud. Find a way!

I needed a bracket/cover plate to hold my cables and grommets in place on the floor board.

IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1546.JPG

It's far from perfect but it is functional.

Not too bad for bench vise and hammer work though

IMG_1552.JPG
IMG_1553.JPG

I do need to source the clips that hold the cable ends into there brackets. As well as the plastic inserts for the cable ends.

I also need some good pictures of the mounting location for the HJ heater valve on the firewall.

Does anyone know if the "Warm Pull" cable is different for an HJ than for an FJ?

Ha! Now I know how that light attaches! Mine is just dangling and I had no idea where it went.

So sharp that cable grommet bracket!!

View attachment 1246475 View attachment 1246476 A friend of mine spotted these two at a camp ground in East Tennessee. The guys driving them are from AUS, but the trucks aren't (LHD).
These guys are cruising in style=) 73's are one of the best all around rigs IMHO, great in the woods and jungle, roomier interior and the mid-wheelbase rides nicer than the 70... My DD is a BJ73, perfect for the wife and I!

Cult while appreciate your confidence in me. I think there is more than a weekends worth of work to be done once it comes home.
Wow, super build!! Oozes quality, truly an heirloom resto/mod =) Question, you swapped out one motor mount, stated 1/2 inch longer than the 2H stocker, did you discover any reason for this additional length? I'm dropping a 12HT into my 78 HJ45 and hope to use the original mounts.

A question for my fellow mudders with more LC experience than I (which doesn't take a lot). I'm planning on installing a stock brake master cylinder and booster. But I don't have a proportioning valve for the disk/drum configuration on my truck. The stock prop valves are difficult to come by here for a reasonable sum.

The question is will an 87' FJ60 prop valve work for my setup? The 60 parts are more plentiful here is why I ask.
I just finished up a big caliper upgrade/ drum rear on my 1986 HJ61, stock proportioning valve works just fine, if you know the part number on the corrosponding FJ part, I'll be happy to check for you. I went big bore T100 MC, huge difference. My BJ73 is next in line for the big hilux calipers and large bore MC as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom