My 75 FJ40 build up thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bdyer, thanks for the offer bought I've already ordred my tub from Aqualu

dargreg, I know the 6L trannies are newer but I want to try to stay away from electronics as much as possible. I also got the 6.2 and 700R4 sitting in the garage right now. Got an entire 89 GM van last spring and was able to get all the parts I needed.

Here are some of the latest build pics of my resto. Still working on the frame. Its been a long process just working a couple of hours on the weekend and weeknights. The frame is ruff but I'm almost ready to send too my fab guy for stretching. Here are a few of the pics of the repairs I've done.

The PO had cut the front bumper mounts to make room for is plow frame.

landcruiser1-03-09.jpg

This is what it looked like after the repairs.

landcruiser1-03-091.jpg

The area around the driver side - rear spring mount

before

DSCF5203.jpg

After

landcruiser1-03-093.jpg

And here are some other frame repair and prep for the stretch.

landcruiser1-03-094.jpg

landcruiser1-03-095.jpg

For the frame stretch I'm thinking of cutting between the center crossmember and the front body mount. Here are a few pics (made in Solidworks) of what I think the strech will look like.

frame-stretch1.jpg

frame-stretch2.jpg

I think things are progessing well but I think once the frame has been stretched and the new Aqualu tub gets here this thing will start looking like a Cruiser again.

pbgbottle, no stretch yet. The guy doing the work for me got bogged down with some role cages for some ralley guys.

Here are some pics of the new 27" stretch Aqualu tub.

newbody.jpg

newbody-1.jpg

I hoping to get back on the project now that my major landscaping project is done. Like my barber tells me "A happy wife is a happy life".

you can say that again .

I can't wait to see the thing put together .this is exactly the project i have been planning . i have most parts collected .just need my frame stretched and to order the body also , now i just have to find the cash wife wants a boat first . then i can buy whatever i want :doh: :grinpimp:

"A happy wife is a happy life".

Time for an update. Progess this summer has been slow. Landscaping and other work around the house needed my attention. All the projects are done around the house (at least until next summer) so I'm back on the Cruiser.

I did manage to get the frame to the fabricator this summer and have him add 27" to the frame. Also had him repair the back part of the frame and box everything in.

DSCF5423.jpg

DSCF5424.jpg

DSCF5425.jpg

DSCF5428.jpg

I also managed to finish most of the repair work to the from cowl. This link is what I started with: cowl before repairs, and the picks below is what I finished with. There is still a little welding to do but it can wait for a bit.

passenger side
DSCF5751.jpg

DSCF5753.jpg

driver side
DSCF5754.jpg

Now its time to drop the cowl back onto the frame and start making some new body mounts for the tub, then motor mounts, tranny mounts, stretch the sides, stretch the roof.... Going to be a busy winter ;)

A little update for the people that are interested. Most of the metalwork on the cowl is done and it has been re-attached to the frame. The new Aqualu tub is finally attached to the stretched frame with some new body mounts and the new rear bumper/body is 80% done (missing hitch receiver, end caps and center supports). Got a "new to me" windshield frame from a 77 and got it installed (needs minor rust repair). Now for a little "fun" and I'll start repairing the doors and stretching the sides and the hardtop.

DSCF5898rev0.jpg

DSCF6016rev0.jpg

DSCF6019rev0.jpg

DSCF6026rev0.jpg

DSCF6027rev0.jpg

D'animal

Haven't touched it in about 2 months. :princess: decided she wanted to get a motor home so most of my budget is gone.

Not much to update since the last time. I do have the patch panels almost done on both doors and fitted to the body. This was a lot of messing around to get it to work. 2 bad windshield frames later and I still don't have one that's good (time to order a reproduction one from EBI). Hopefully I can get back on it later in the summer because I really need to get the sides and the roof stretched before winter hits (need the room)

lancruzah, well summer turned into fall and I've just started working on it again. Got the passenger side door almost complete except for final welding and grinding. Also got one of my stretched side started and it going really well. Will post more pictures when I'm a little further. Now that cooler weather is here and the house is prep for winter, I'm hoping to get 8 to 10 hours a week on the cruiser. Thanks for the interest.

Interesting looking build. I am glad that it moved back to the top of the forum or I might have missed it. Looking forward to seeing the updates.

Some minor updates. Project isn't dead. Now that winter is here and that the house projects are done, I'm back working on the LC as much as I can (8 to 10 hours a week). I'm back working on the sheetmetal. I hope to have most of the sheetmetal done by the end of February and then I can start working on the roof. Below are some picks of where I am now...

dscf6635rev0.jpg

dscf6633rev0.jpg

Once the sheetmetal is done, I'll get the roof done, then I'll get the axels back under the truck, then the seats, then the roll cage and so on and so on...

That's what you call a project. You started in nov '07 , now it's jan '11. When do you estimate it's ready for the road?

Keep us posted.

BJ40green, If I can stay away from any major house projects and keep the 2 :princess: happy, I hope to have it on the road by the spring of 2012. I figure I can get most of the body work and fabrication done this winter and hopefully get the paint done by late summer early fall.

Awesome project. Any idea of the final wheelbase ? re you going to be SOA ?

skim, right now the wheel base is at 117" but I'm still debating if I'm going to flip my rear springs. It will depend how the wheels look in the openings, No SOA for this rig seeing that this rig is going to be my DD / expedition rig. It's going to stay SUA with a mild 2.5" OME HD lift.

Another couple of weeks I should be done the sheet metal, then it's roof stretching time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom