Builds My 69' 55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my letters today! I was a little bummed because a coworker of mine who does custom fabrication work on the side told me that if I would've told him sooner that he could have made me some dimple dies to stamp each of the letters into the tailgate, giving it the factory raised letter look. This would have been really cool to have done but its a little too late now.
No biggie though, Im glad that I got these letters and will make them as close to factory as I possibly can.

11907.jpeg

Man I’m just finding this thread! I believe I saw those pigs on Craigslist and by the time I emailed they had been sold! So glad you got them looks like you are doing them justice! We picked up “Marge” and a parts truck in Lapine a couple months ago but I haven’t had much time to wrench on them yet. I’m now following all the best! Maybe we’ll have to have an Oregon pig party in the future.

BE7C7F21-CA51-496B-96E2-2D680CE54D79.jpeg

Man I’m just finding this thread! I believe I saw those pigs on Craigslist and by the time I emailed they had been sold! So glad you got them looks like you are doing them justice! We picked up “Marge” and a parts truck in Lapine a couple months ago but I haven’t had much time to wrench on them yet. I’m now following all the best! Maybe we’ll have to have an Oregon pig party in the future.

View attachment 2731529
Awesome!
Yeah, I got lucky when I found mine. The guy that sold them to me said that he hardly answered any calls or emails when they were on the market. There has been a few local folks stop me around town and exactly what you did. I sold the other 55 to a guy that needed a body but I quickly regretted selling it.
Would love to do some local outings.

Man! Grew up in Eugene and bought my first cruiser there. 72’ FJ55. 3 speed on the floor in about 2000. Bought it from a vet that lived out near Willamette HS. So excited to get back into the pigs. I’ll PM you you when the fam and I head down to visit the folks in the piggie. Learning how to fly fish too so there is always that!
Keep up the great work. Inspires me for my future build.

Git the window regulator mtg. Bracket in and sprayed primer on the inside. Still gotta do some work on the hinges and then I think I'll be ready to reassemble everything in the tailgate. Oh yeah, still gotta install the letters. That's probably going to be next on the list. Hope to find time soon.
KIMG4072.JPG

Had a moment today to work o a little more on the tailgate!
I laid down some primer and outlined each letter with a scribe. I then drilled a few holes for each letter and tomorrow I plan to spot weld them into place via the holes from inside the tailgate.

KIMG4191.JPG
KIMG4192.JPG
KIMG4193.JPG

I also made some progress on the hinges. The old hinges were pretty wore out, not to mention I misplaced one of them and had to build it's replacement from scratch. I originally planned on adding brass sleeves at the hinge point but decided to bore out the receiving side and enlarge the pin instead. They are turning out nicely. They are currently in the booth getting painted and will be ready for installation tomorrow!

KIMG4168.JPG
KIMG4169.JPG
KIMG4170.JPG
KIMG4174.JPG
KIMG4179.JPG

I know several of the countersink Phillips head bolts that came out of mine got destroyed. Still contemplating the choice between going Phillips like OEM or trying some Allens.
Yeah, Phillips heads were damaged as well. I plan on getting Allen head this time.

I know several of the countersink Phillips head bolts that came out of mine got destroyed. Still contemplating the choice between going Phillips like OEM or trying some Allens.
I picked these up yesterday. I decided to go with the Allen. I bought 20 of them for the tailgate. The cost was $5.

I Hope to have the tailgate installed back on the rig soon!

KIMG4212.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom