Builds My 69' 55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I stole the rear window inner wiper off my 2000 4runner (my daily driver) and used it as a template. It's like it was meant for a 55 tailgate! I will hit the junkyard and pull two of them, one for the inner and one for the outer. Glad that it's going to work so well.

KIMG3553.JPG
KIMG3562.JPG
KIMG3563.JPG
KIMG3554.JPG
KIMG3557.JPG

That Press brake is a 20' Pacific Press Brake. It's been around probably since before I was born. It has a 400 ton capacity. We max out at 3/4 inch plate. Anything that thick begins to to tear apart long the outside edge of the corners being formed.
The company I work for caters to the mining and aggregate industry. Mostly conveyors, screens, hoppers, etc... Are going through that Brake.
KIMG3564.JPG

I sand-blasted the tailgate as best as I could. It just barely fit in our blasting unit. I ground out all the rusted spots that were soft and I either patched or plug the bad areas with weld. I was hoping to get the skin on tonight but it'll have to wait. This is all I had time for.
KIMG3599.JPG
KIMG3600.JPG
KIMG3602.JPG
KIMG3604.JPG

After repairing all the rust spots I trimmed the new skin a little to make it fit near the window opening. After that the skin fell right into place! I'm so happy this is working out as planned. I've never done anything like this before so it's been pretty exciting to see it come together.
I have the skin tacked to the tailgate now but I still have about 8 feet of triggering to go, one tack at a time.... Just gonna take my time to prevent it from warping and hit it when I can between calls at work. I am using brass as a heatsink to help control the heat and prevent warping. Check it out.
KIMG3622.JPG
KIMG3624.JPG
KIMG3625.JPG
KIMG3626.JPG
KIMG3627.JPG

I finally found a two hour break in my day and began welding on the tailgate. I used a piece of 1x2 aluminum bar stock as a heat sink as well as several other pieces of brass that I placed on the inside of the tailgate to help absorb the heat. I hope to work on it Very soon because I want to drive the cruiser so bad!!!
KIMG3841.JPG
KIMG3842.JPG
KIMG3843.JPG
KIMG3844.JPG
KIMG3848.JPG

Got a little trigger happy and ended up laying about a thousand tacks of weld. All in all about four hours of tack, let it cool, tack, let it cool, tack.... Its been time consuming but also really worth the effort so far.

KIMG3856.JPG
KIMG3851.JPG
KIMG3854.JPG
KIMG3853.JPG
KIMG3855.JPG

I cut out the license plate recess in the original tailgate and cleaned up the corners on the bench sander. Then I hit it with media to clean up the backside of the plate holder.

KIMG3865.JPG
KIMG3866.JPG
KIMG3867.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom