My 1972 FJ40 build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sando Serious

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, for the back story. This is the 2nd cruiser I've owned. Got rid of my first one when I was 17 and have regretted it ever since. 10 years later I finally got my hands on another one for a decent price but it is in far worse condition than my first one. I picked up the 40 in Southern California this past summer while living there and have since relocated to Oregon. Since I have friends up here with a lot more knowledge than myself, a lot of tools, and a place to store my rig we figured why not tear it down and make it whole again. I'll post several pictures of how it looked when I got it so you can get an idea. I know this is a long road ahead and it'll take a lot of time and a whole lot of money...oh well, no turning back now. I am open to any suggestions and if you're located in the Pacific Northwest and in the area, swing by sometime! I'll buy :beer:

As for my plans...

Tear down to the frame, sandblast everything and paint either a darker blue, gunmetal grey, or the newer green that is coming on the new fj cruisers. Yeah...obviously very undecided on that one.

Front and rear disc brakes
Power steering
Custom dash panel and gauges
aftermarket front and rear heaters
rebuild the 350 that's in there
Newer aftermarket front seats and rear bench seat

I'm sure more will come up as this thread continues!

Thanks in advance for all your help and wish us luck...
IMG_0950.jpg
IMG_3432.jpg
IMG_3434.jpg

Last edited:
11/27/2010

Starting to disassemble...

Took off the roof rack, traded the soft top I had for a hard top and hard doors which also needs some work, took off the rear diamond plating and was happy to see there's no crazy rust awaiting repair. Disassembled most of the front end, we also pulled out the front bucket seats and gas tank so we could get easier access to the dash...which was coming out next.
driverside1.jpg
driverside.jpg
passengerside1.jpg

11/27/2010

Sorry for the crappy pictures...I forgot my regular camera and had to use my cell phone. These will have to suffice for now.

We pulled out all the knobs which was a nightmare. I think the PO told me this was sitting in their driveway for 8 years, most of the time without a top. None of the pull knobs actually pulled out except the hazards, dome light, wipers, and headlights and those knobs still didn't work electrically. The metal bases of the knobs were pretty much rusted out and corroded. I was able to salvage some but unfortunately some got demolished. I'll be selling all the stock interior stuff eventually...but that'll be for another post. I'll keep you all updated.

Also went ahead and pulled out all the wiring. None of it worked anyway and we're planning on going with the painless wiring route which I hear is anything but painless.
dashpanel1.jpg
dashpanel2.jpg

Which heaters are you planning to use?
:cheers:

I was browsing on a couple other threads on here and saw that some people had used the mojave heaters that Summit sells. They looked pretty decent and seemed to be liked.

Summit Racing SUM-991101 - Summit Racing® Automotive Heaters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Maybe something like that for the rear...as for the front, I'll have to do more research and find something that fits nicely and looks decent. I hear vintage air makes some decent stuff but it's a lot more money...probably worth it though. This FJ didn't come with any heaters or components. Get's a little chilly here in the winters so I'll need something by next fall.

I thought you were selling your rig Mark? If you still have it I'll have to come down and check it out sometime. At one point I was thinking of going with the same color you painted yours. Too many options.

1972 rules

*subscribed*
I am looking forward to what you do on your truck, to give me some ideas for my March 1972 FJ40.
In the near future I will do a tear down as well.
What month was yours built?

*subscribed*
I am looking forward to what you do on your truck, to give me some ideas for my March 1972 FJ40.
In the near future I will do a tear down as well.
What month was yours built?

Mine was built in June. Hopefully I'll be getting everything blasted and some body work going in the next month. Just waiting on some money.

I thought you were selling your rig Mark? If you still have it I'll have to come down and check it out sometime. At one point I was thinking of going with the same color you painted yours. Too many options.
I was going to sell it... I changed my mind after dealing with a couple of guys who where a$$holes. I don't know if I could of sold it anyways... We do need to get together I would love to BS Cruisers with you! I am stoked to have ordered my Heater, you will have to check it out to see if it is what your looking for. I also bought a complete windshield wiper set up from Mark's Offroad... I wanted to go local but Mark was the better deal and seems to be a great vendor. Have a good one! Mark:beer:

What about buying stock heaters? They come up for sale every now and then. I rebuilt mine and they work great. The only downside is the huge fan housing in the engine compartment.

What about buying stock heaters? They come up for sale every now and then. I rebuilt mine and they work great. The only downside is the huge fan housing in the engine compartment.

I was thinking about that. I have a couple of parts for the front heater but nowhere near everything I know I would need. I'm planning on doing all aftermarket flip switches instead of stock knobs so having the front and rear stock heaters aren't a huge deal to me. And basically, I just don't know if I want to have to wait and search for all the stock parts I need and hope they end up working when I get them.

some original parts are sold pretty frequently here
FJ40 & FJ45 Parts Landcruiser Parts

PM me if/when you want to get rid of your rear jump seats; I might be interested.

looking forward to watching the progress and learning with you; I'm on my first one right now.

take care man

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I already sold the small jump seats seats to autokalikot. They needed some work.

12/12/2010

Well, My buddy Eric and I (mostly Eric) worked on the cruiser for a bit more today. We were able to get the tub off the frame.

I'm at a crossroads now and need some 40 advice. Do I keep this current tub, sandblast it, repair the body, rust, holes, etc. or purchase a new steel or aluminum tub? I know the new ones can get a little spendy but maybe I'd end up paying that much for the body work and prep for paint. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'll post several pics of the tub, the rust issues and await for your guys' input. Now, we'll be putting the body on hold for a bit and focus on cleaning up the frame, installing front discs, and and either rebuilding the 350 that's in there or getting a 350 crate engine, also finding a th350 and the t-case adaptor. If anyone knows of someone selling one let me know.

Also, any personal recommendations on the aluminum or steel aftermarket tubs?
IMG_3816.jpg
IMG_3817.jpg
IMG_3819.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom