MUD discounts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.4plusproducts.com
A reminder that 4PLUS offers 15% to MUD members. You have to mention the MUD affiliation. I have trouble connecting screen names with real ones, unless or course someones parents actually named their kid
wngrog or D'animal.

Until Christmas all tire carrier orders, 40,60,80 will include free D-rings and a tire repair kit.

4PlusProducts | Accessories | Tire Repair Kit

Thanks @lcwizard (Gee, your parents picked a funny name for you!)

Question on 40 series rocker protectors; do you still make that "mini step" model that the blue 40 has on it on your web page?

40 mini step.JPG

@Rigger I'll look around for some parts. I believe I have parts for at least one. The 40 parts are getting harder to move. That one was a
one a year type item. Thankfully the angle part is the same on all three so only keeping cuttings for the step is the issue. Keeping track of hundred of different cuttings is a lot, especially as I get older.

I thought I was the only one with that problem.

I really like the look of that blue one.

I Have been drooling over your rear tire carrier with basket for quite awhile for my 73 fj40. I have a concern about the carrier partially covering round tail lights. Do you have a picture available with the round tail lights? It probably isn't a problem at all just haven't seen a pic with earlier tai lights.

Thanks BT

Thank you very much!!! No more concerns.

Here's a close up. No issues covering the lights. I love love this tire carrier. The powder coating isn't great, a handful of places bubbled and flaked off. I'm eventually going to blast and epoxy prime / paint.

Here's a close up. No issues covering the lights. I love love this tire carrier. The powder coating isn't great, a handful of places bubbled and flaked off. I'm eventually going to blast and epoxy prime / paint.

That's a constant battle with us. Powder manufacturers blame the coaters. Coaters blame the manufacturers. Not sure if anything will handle three metal jerry cans full of gas banging around on a trip through canyonlands or dragging it across a rock. I don't think coaters in AZ see the same environmental issues that the north or eastern side of the US sees. A coating job will last ten years here but the same one starting to fall apart in one or two back east. I think they have to see a problem before they can try to fix it. I just worked on a carrier we installed in 1998.
Still the same original coating. Dull from the sun, lots of little scratches, a couple big ones but the bare metal only show light rust, nothing migrating under the coating. I see that same issue with cruiser frames. An Az frame can get scraped to the metal and ten years later the
only rust is light and only at the spot with missing paint. A 60 frame I got from New Jersey appeared to have the paint intact but rust migrated under the paint all the way up the rear frame rails to the front of the rear wheel wells rendering them junk. Anywhere there were two pieces of metal sandwiched, rust formed between. Sometimes I hate the dry weather here but I love how it preserves my trucks

I thought I was the only one with that problem.

I really like the look of that blue one.

That blue one was a powdercoated body. Cardinal BL04. It is a light textured powder. It would appear to change color in places
as you walked around the truck in sunlight. It got more compliments than any other I've built. The downside is, although Cardinal
makes matched touch up paint, the paint doesn't have texture so it won't look that good forever, or very long if boulder strewn trails
are your idea of fun. I will still powder a body here out here but I make sure it's a smooth finish. Downside to powder is it does dull in
the southwestern sun. In a few years it is quite apparent, despite what the manufacturers say about being UV stable. With a good multi
coat paint job you can buff out the oxidization. At least until the layers of paint run out

I Have been drooling over your rear tire carrier with basket for quite awhile for my 73 fj40. I have a concern about the carrier partially covering round tail lights. Do you have a picture available with the round tail lights? It probably isn't a problem at all just haven't seen a pic with earlier tai lights.

Thanks BT

Have no fear. I've had this bumper/carrier for close on 10 years, and my 40 has the large round factory tail lights. Excellent product and I'd buy another if I were building another 40. My environmental conditions are not harsh, but the power coat has held up just fine.

I really wan't a set of 4+ sliders for my FJ62. So sometime in the next year, I'm driving the FJ62 to Az for the install.

Dave is it possible to get the angle step rocker so it bolts to the frame unstead of the body? Had them on my old 40 and love them. Just not sure i want to drill holes in my new tub

Funny you ask this, I just ordered a set of the full step protectors and had questions about how they mount.

I’m not worried about drilling holes in my tub. Dave assured me that the way they mount is more than strong. I may however try to incorporate the frame mount underneath like the original running boards.

Dave’s a great guy to deal with! Can’t wait to get my care package in the mail.

Dave is it possible to get the angle step rocker so it bolts to the frame unstead of the body? Had them on my old 40 and love them. Just not sure i want to drill holes in my new tub

I think at that point it's better to do a tube style. You can support them off the frame and bolt them to the tub but I'm not sure you would want to wrap angle around the body without securing it. There will be movement between the two you might find that the angle takes the paint off in places. Bending tubes to match the profile of a factory step but extending it about 1/2~3/4 inch around the outside of the profile sounds
better. I've done that with 1 1/2" tube in the past. It requires drilling the frame for mounts.I hate drilling the frame. My arms get tired.
It's not like drilling a 60 or 80 frame. The material on a 40 is thicker. If you're going to drill a frame pick the FJ Cruiser. They're about as thick as a 40 dash. Toyota called the 40 a Legacy. They should have called them Post Apocalyptic.

I think at that point it's better to do a tube style. You can support them off the frame and bolt them to the tub but I'm not sure you would want to wrap angle around the body without securing it. There will be movement between the two you might find that the angle takes the paint off in places. Bending tubes to match the profile of a factory step but extending it about 1/2~3/4 inch around the outside of the profile sounds
better. I've done that with 1 1/2" tube in the past. It requires drilling the frame for mounts.I hate drilling the frame. My arms get tired.
It's not like drilling a 60 or 80 frame. The material on a 40 is thicker. If you're going to drill a frame pick the FJ Cruiser. They're about as thick as a 40 dash. Toyota called the 40 a Legacy. They should have called them Post Apocalyptic.

Yea.. your right.. i love the look of the a angled ones. I dont bang them on the rocks so the frame mount is probably not nessesary for me. Ill think some more on this but youll probably get a call from me :)

Dave,

How do you tighten the bolt on the LHS leg on your brush guard? I couldn't fit anything in there to tighten it up.

20170315_182647.jpg
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom