MUD discounts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, mine is currently finger tight. I guess that will have to do.

I've always been able to tighten them with an open/box end 11/16, although sometimes I drop the bellcrank for easier access. If you have saginaw the box can get in the way. If you've boxed in the frame with some of the saginaw kits it does become a problem.. I've had to
cut the stud off and replace it with an angle bracket that captures the outside of the frame and run a bolt horizontal.
I started building these in 1990. There weren't any frame boxing kits back then. They sold like wildfire in the 90's but sales dropped
to a point they aren't viable anymore. Unfortunately that is probably where most the 40 aftermarket is headed. I'm nearing 60 and I don't
see anyone stepping up to focus on 40s. At least not in the US. In the last 12 years we went from about 100 different parts to less than 30 for the FJ40. I'd beg Toyota to bring the 40 back but they'd just mess it up. It would come back as a unibody, 4 wheel independent with 6.5" travel,
rack and pinion, body stamped from 28 gauge, blue tooth, backup cams and 45,000 price tag with a depreciation rate that would scare even
the bravest accountant.......and a plastic bezel mounted upside down

Hey, @lcwizard

I’m in the process of building my own bumper and really like you tube baskets.

Do you happen to sell these in in a kit form (parts and pieces) so I could weld it together myself? The reason I ask is because I do not have a tube bender.

Thanks
SMG

FD834FCA-8CAD-4315-BC29-10F09389E1CA.jpeg

I'll check and see what parts we have left. We do a cycle of these every couple months or so. We try to build as many as we can at once
then not mess with them again for a while. We just finished up with the baskets about a week ago. We usually have left over plates because
the cutting runs aren't always perfect.
The tube part is easy. That's always available.
Like all things FJ40 , each year the parts sell a little less. We built these every month for fifteen years. The last two years we've been
building them every two to three months. I'm guessing we'll build baskets at least one more time this year. I'm hoping this product will
have a year or two more.

I'll check and see what parts we have left. We do a cycle of these every couple months or so. We try to build as many as we can at once
then not mess with them again for a while. We just finished up with the baskets about a week ago. We usually have left over plates because
the cutting runs aren't always perfect.
The tube part is easy. That's always available.
Like all things FJ40 , each year the parts sell a little less. We built these every month for fifteen years. The last two years we've been
building them every two to three months. I'm guessing we'll build baskets at least one more time this year. I'm hoping this product will
have a year or two more.

Ok no worries,

Let me know either way. If it’s easier, I can always purchase the basket already built.

Thanks

I've always been able to tighten them with an open/box end 11/16, although sometimes I drop the bellcrank for easier access. If you have saginaw the box can get in the way. If you've boxed in the frame with some of the saginaw kits it does become a problem.. I've had to
cut the stud off and replace it with an angle bracket that captures the outside of the frame and run a bolt horizontal.
I started building these in 1990. There weren't any frame boxing kits back then. They sold like wildfire in the 90's but sales dropped
to a point they aren't viable anymore. Unfortunately that is probably where most the 40 aftermarket is headed. I'm nearing 60 and I don't
see anyone stepping up to focus on 40s. At least not in the US. In the last 12 years we went from about 100 different parts to less than 30 for the FJ40. I'd beg Toyota to bring the 40 back but they'd just mess it up. It would come back as a unibody, 4 wheel independent with 6.5" travel,
rack and pinion, body stamped from 28 gauge, blue tooth, backup cams and 45,000 price tag with a depreciation rate that would scare even
the bravest accountant.......and a plastic bezel mounted upside down

I hit the like button before I was even halfway through your post Dave.:)

Wherever it ends up, it’s still been a heck of a rollercoaster ride.

And FWIW, I still get a kick out of telling people that Tony, the PO of the Karma Cruiser, paid Ekhart something like $400 for a trailer hitch, only to have me take it back off once he saw your bumper. And like @Cruiserdrew the powder paint is still holding up fine...over 10 years later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom