MPH on my gauge clusters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
My trucks have arrived in AZ. I just called MVD to clarify what steps I needed to complete to get the cars titled and registered. They said I have to get MPH put on the gauges in order to pass the Level II inspection.

Does this match up with your experiences?
If I had a valid title/registration from another state I'm assuming they wouldn't be giving me this issue. Or would they even then?

@drenmaster might be able to help you out with this.

Never a question when I registered my HDJ80 just did the conversion for actual miles shown on the speedo. KW x .621 = Miles
I always wondered what the conversion from Kilowatts to Miles per hour was.

Never a question when I registered my HDJ80 just did the conversion for actual miles shown on the speedo. KW x .621 = Miles

Did you title and register your HDJ80 here for the first time or import it from another state with a valid title/registration?

I didn't convert or replace my cluster when I registered my Canadian 4Runner with Km/h.

This is good info. I was wondering if I'm actually going to have a problem. I think I'm going to just go as is and see if I really get stopped. azjdmimports.com shows a bunch of inventory with KPH only gauges.

Did you title and register your HDJ80 here for the first time or import it from another state with a valid title/registration?

This is good info. I was wondering if I'm actually going to have a problem. I think I'm going to just go as is and see if I really get stopped. azjdmimports.com shows a bunch of inventory with KPH only gauges.

Germany to Arizona

Thanks bro, think I’ll just go get started and see what happens.
Did you start with a Level II inspection. That’s what the same person told me to start with.
I thought it was level III but maybe level II
They had me start with emissions test..only for them to tell me they cant test it and charged me $9.50 and said it going to happen the same next year when I renew.

I thought it was level III but maybe level II
They had me start with emissions test..only for them to tell me they cant test it and charged me $9.50 and said it going to happen the same next year when I renew.

Why couldn’t they test it? Cause it’s diesel?

The 40 would be fairly simple to convert. Finding LHD 70 series in miles might be difficult.

Just too bad Toyota didn't do like they did on later 40 series.
IMG_20190612_200500122.jpg

When I imported from Japan I did a level II inspection and had no issues the the KPH speedo or odometer. When doing the inspection I converted the current KM to on the odometer to miles and that's what they went with for how many miles were on the vehicle. Maybe my conversation table next to the speedo did the trick. :rofl:

I don't see what the big deal is anyways. Once you get close to the border everything is in KM anyways. Maybe it's a phoenix thing?? No issues in Tucson.

20190614_115039.jpg

I imported my FJ45 from down under, has kilometer gauge and is registered and titled in AZ. I went to the Scottsdale DMV and had no issues.
7339 E Paradise Ln, Scottsdale, AZ 8526

When I imported from Japan I did a level II inspection and had no issues the the KPH speedo or odometer. When doing the inspection I converted the current KM to on the odometer to miles and that's what they went with for how many miles were on the vehicle. Maybe my conversation table next to the speedo did the trick. :rofl:

I don't see what the big deal is anyways. Once you get close to the border everything is in KM anyways. Maybe it's a phoenix thing?? No issues in Tucson.

View attachment 2002877

The little conversion paper is a great idea... but c'mon, using comic sans serif as your font?!

Thanks for the input. I'm going to just rock up for my Level II with the original gauges.

I needed somthing quick so that's what came up on Google images. Needed it when I picked it up in California and printed it the night before. I use GPS now I just never removed the paper.

Ended up only needing a Level 1 inspection... and they didn't even bat an eye at the cluster. Passed inspection.

Now they want my Vehicle Export Certificate translated (even though it's a side-by-side English/Arabic document)... it was good enough for the Feds but not for AZ I guess.

Anyone have a good line on certified document translation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom